Removing oil filter - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

9Likes
  • 1 Post By chudzikb
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By chudzikb
  • 1 Post By Pekes17
  • 1 Post By AuroraTom
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Removing oil filter

Anyone got a suggestion for removing oil filter (Versys-x 300)?
I bought a 65mm cap-wrench but I can't get it on as the headers are too close. So I need a strap wrench or plier type...I know someone out there is as expert with this bike...thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:54 PM

Did mine yesterday, used a pair of channel locks, not ideal, but, it worked, and quickly.
Pekes17 likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks chudzikb - I'll try that, or (come to think of it) a pipe wrench.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:14 PM

Fyi, the original oil filter was a royal pain to get off, way over tight.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 AM

Used a strap wrench on mine but I did have to get it very clean and put a piece of double face tape to keep it from slipping.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

IF "worse-comes-to-worse" - poke a LONG screwdriver thru that filter then, w/ a hand on each end of the screwdriver for 'torque', it's pretty easy to remove [even IF it's a 'bit' messy] .

On the new filter, be sure to oil the gasket, then ONLY tighten it as per instructions ON the new filter (for my V650s - turn till it contacts, then another FULL turn).

I ONLY had that problem ONCE, in 165,000 miles among three V650s, but I can't be specific as to WHEN it happened.

quexpress and Pekes17 like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF "worse-comes-to-worse" - poke a LONG screwdriver thru that filter then, w/ a hand on each end of the screwdriver for 'torque', it's pretty easy to remove [even IF it's a 'bit' messy] .

On the new filter, be sure to oil the gasket, then ONLY tighten it as per instructions ON the new filter (for my V650s - turn till it contacts, then another FULL turn).

I ONLY had that problem ONCE, in 165,000 miles among three V650s, but I can't be specific as to WHEN it happened.

Thats how i had to get the original filter off....

First Oil Change 600 miles by weljo2001, on Flickr
quexpress likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:21 PM

I used a strap wrench to get mine off. The filter began to cave in before it actually began to spin...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxzero View Post
I used a strap wrench to get mine off. The filter began to cave in before it actually began to spin...
https://www.google.com/search?q=oil+...2TeLah8-HgkTM:
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

One more question...do you install a new gasket (or washer) for the drain plug with each oil change as well?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekes17 View Post
One more question...do you install a new gasket (or washer) for the drain plug with each oil change as well?

Nope.....
Pekes17 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I do, but, I have a ton of generic copper washers laying around, not paying what they want for one from the stealership.
Pekes17 likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Wink

Success! ...sort of...

My old channel lock pliers were too small to get a grip so looking in my tool box I spied my C-clamp - so I tightened that C-clamp enough to partially crush the filter (good grip) and the filter easily unscrewed - and no mess. I then hand-tightened my new filter after lubing the gasket.

I added my new Castrol Motorcycle oil without looking at owners manual to remember exact amount - I knew it was 2 point something liters. On to the 3rd bottle, I filled to proper mark on the window, ran the engine (no leaks). I ended up putting in a little more than 2.75L.

However, I was supposed to put in only 2.2L. After checking oil level again, the window was completely full. The O.M. says is "wait several minutes until the oil settles". I didn't do that.

Then the O.M. says "remove excess oil with syringe or suitable device" - so naturally, from the kitchen I borrowed my wife's turkey baster to suck some oil out, but that didn't work - wouldn't pull any oil up (and therefore, out). I put the turkey baster back in the drawer ;-)

So the plan today is to drain the oil into a clean container and re-fill the proper amount (2.0l when filter is not removed), run the engine and then wait several minutes for oil to settle and then check oil level.

BTW, I was surprised at how dirty the oil looked (after 6,000kms), considering I ride in pretty much pristine conditions - cool, dry, no dust or sand. It had always looked 'golden' thru the window.

Thanks for listening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190508_160414_HDR_resized oil change 1.jpg (43.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190508_162426_resized oil change 2.jpg (74.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190508_162038_resized oil change 3.jpg (25.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190508_170637_resized oil change 5.jpg (26.5 KB, 10 views)
Devilsfan likes this.

Last edited by Pekes17; 05-09-2019 at 09:55 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:09 PM

Oil Filter Practices

I have been changing oil filters for over 50 years in cars, trucks and motorcycles. I cringe when I hear others opine that they use a torque wrench on the filter (or the drain bolt).

I have NEVER had a problem removing a filter or drain bolt that I have previously installed. I usually reuse the sealing washer on the drain bolt (unless it has been crushed too many times). I used to install filters as tight as I could tighten them by hand (before old age and arthritis). Now I tighten the filter (with oil on the gasket) until the gasket contacts the sealing surface, then tighten an additional 1/2 to 1 turn with a filter removal tool.

I have OFTEN had problems removing a filter that someone other than myself put on. I recently did the first oil change (by me) on my 2014 Silverado 5.3. I had taken advantage of GM's 3 free oil changes for the last 3 changes. I had extreme difficulty removing the filter (drain bolt was also VERY tight), I first used a cheap fiberglass cup style tool with a 3/8 drive opening for a breaker bar. It would not turn the filter and slipped without turning the filter. I found an old metal strap type tool that was designed to fit different diameter filters. The strap is steel and about 1.5 inches wide. I couldn't get it up very high on the filter because of clearance issues with the block so it was near the bottom end (where the flat surfaces are for a cup style tool). After applying EXTREME force with a 3/8 drive breaker bar (I would estimate about 25-30 foot pounds of force) the filter began to turn (and CRUSH). It did come off without tearing the metal of the filter can but just barely! I can only assume that either the gasket wasn't properly oiled when it was put on (at the Chevy dealership) or it was over torqued. Maybe the "manual" tells the service departments to torque these filters to 25 or 30 foot pounds but if so that is STUPID! Possibly a lawyer tells service departments to torque these filters on for liability reasons, but any experienced mechanic will tell you it is completely unnecessary!

This is why I will never let anybody but ME do any routine maintenance on any of my vehicles.
Devilsfan likes this.

AuroraTom
Aurora, CO
USMC 1963-1967
2015 V1K Orange
Givi Crash Bars
Kappa Trunk
Givi Windshield
LED amber fog/driving lights
Panel mounted digital voltmeter
Garmin 2610 GPS (ancient like me)
Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
NOPE - I have two copper-washers that I use alternately. Then after getting the oil in, and checked, I use a propane torch to ANNEAL the 'old' washer, then put it w/ my oil-change stuff for NEXT time.

Quote:
...After checking oil level again, the window was completely full. The O.M. says is "wait several minutes until the oil settles". I didn't do that...

...So the plan today is to drain the oil into a clean container and re-fill the proper amount (2.0l when filter is not removed), run the engine and then wait several minutes for oil to settle and then check oil level....
Been there, DONE that! The ONLY safe way to correct the over-fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraTom View Post
I have been changing oil filters for over 50 years in cars, trucks and motorcycles....This is why I will NEVER let anybody but ME do any routine maintenance on any of my vehicles.
I EVEN bring my own torque wrench when I get new tires on the car, and tell them to call me from their lounge to torque them myself!

-
AuroraTom likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-10-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode