Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

What you did to your Versys-X today

38K views 164 replies 48 participants last post by  Watchwldr 
#1 ·
For some reason we don't have one of these threads for the Versys-X?

I guess I'll start off....

Added a T-Rex Racing center stand:

https://www.t-rex-racing.com/versys-x-300-center-stand-p/n50-17cs.htm

It works well and appears quite sturdy. The only directions are a video on the web site, which isn't easy to reference when you're lying on your side in the garage (no written directions come with the center stand). Mine came with the adjustable legs installed on the wrong side and backwards, which obviously wouldn't work and confused me until I realized hey, these legs are removable, so I removed them and turned them around and put them on the right side. If I hadn't installed center stands before on other bikes I might have had to call them to ask some questions.

The only thing you can get cheaper is the Chinese junk from Ali Express, and I'd rather get from an American company like T-Rex.

#3 ·
Since I had the centerstand, I cleaned and lubed the chain. The Dupont degreaser and wax-based chain lube is what I'm trying out now, it's new compared to the last time I owned a bike with a chain.

As far as riding in the rain, it's quite possible, but who really wants to?

#6 · (Edited)
Well I decided to replace the air filter and spark plugs but ran into what should be a simple problem but, wow, what am I missing? I can't get the plug to the gas pump disconnected so I can't remove the tank. I need some help here guys, or gals ….. Here are a couple of pictures. I watched the job on youtube where someone did a nice easy looking job but it didn't show disconnecting this plug, but they did... It would be easier if I could disconnect the plug from the frame. It slides as though it's just mounted on a metal tab but I can't see how it releases, if it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=15&v=Q5YUfmtFq54

Attachments

#8 ·
I added these little mirror extenders to my mirrors. They're still lousy mirrors (wtf is with this crazy shape, peeps?), but at least now they're located where I can see behind me without ducking!

Oh yeah, literally generic mirror extenders, a dozen different Chinese companies offer them on eBay and Amazon. I don't recall which of them I bought.

Also removed the sheepskin from my seat. It wasn't helping and kept getting in the way of moving around.

Attachments

Reactions: DayTurns2Night
#9 ·
Did my 600 mile oil change (640 miles, actually). Oil filter, as usual, was torqued way tighter than spec from the factory, I had to grab the channel locks and scrunch it a bit to take it off. The oil looked a bit aluminumy but no real difference from any other new Japanese bike that I've broken in at the 600 mile oil change mark. I filled it with Rotella-T synthetic 5w40, I've run that in all my bikes ever since my KLR back in 2004 and it works great. Everything else looks nominal -- clutch lever play, coolant level, etc. So I guess I'm ready for the next couple thousand miles :). (Well, guess I need to give the chain a little love too while I'm at it).

#10 ·
Upgraded my headlight bulb to Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight bulb and upgraded the "city lights" to Philips 194 Ultinon LED Bulbs. Had to take all the front plastics off. What a pain. Oh well, I'm also installing the wiring for driving lights and for an accessory socket while I'm at it, so I'll just do all of that while my bike is apart.

#12 ·
Added driving lights and the Kawasaki crash bars, mostly because the Kawasaki bars already had a place to mount the lights. The brackets attached to the Kawasaki bars are rack ears for some piece of computer equipment that I had in my junk bins. I also added a voltmeter and dual USB charging sockets while I had the dash apart to do the wiring. The USB charging sockets are hidden under the rubber cover and the voltmeter has a cutout in the rubber cover so I can see the voltage while the cover is closed.

Attachments

#13 ·
Nice, I like the volt meter idea. I also have the same lights on the Kawasaki bars. They're very bright, almost too bright for night time use. I just keep them aimed downward slightly. I don't ride much at night, I installed them primarily for daytime see me coming lights so cage drivers can see me better, but they really do light up the road at night. I took this comparison photo a couple of months ago in the backyard of the lights after the install. The light throw and spread is about perfect.

………………………………………….Regular headlamp……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...Headlamp with driving lights.

#14 ·
Nice, I like the volt meter idea. I also have the same lights on the Kawasaki bars.
I was probably reading your post when I bought them. Though I didn't know you had the Kawasaki bars, I bought the Kawasaki bars because I noticed that I had brackets that would fit them. I seem to recall you had a different switch from the one that came with the lights? Do you know what it is and where you got it? None of mine in my junk boxes fit that cutout, so I just v-notched the cutout cover for the wire and then used double-sided tape to attach the kit-provided switch. (The 3M exterior stuff, not the wimpy stuff that came on the switch).

#15 · (Edited)
#16 ·
Its just a standard round three wire 12v illuminated on/off switch switch that lights up when its on.
Ah. You put it into the cigarette lighter location, then? Or did you make your own hole for it?

#18 ·
I only worked on her for a few min but I removed the pair system Auto part Suspension Engine Vehicle Pipe
and installed the block off plate Auto part Engine Vehicle Bumper Pipe
. Then I found out healtech has the wrong ends on there connectors for there pair solenoid removal plug Tobacco products Hand Finger Material property Nail
. Then I removed the clutch side bar weight and installed the barkbuster back bone Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Engine Car

Side note bike is alredy stripped for coolent flush and instal of a inline temp sensor for Trail Tech Voyager Pro gps. Auto part Technology Engine Vehicle Fictional character

#89 ·
I only worked on her for a few min but I removed the pair system View attachment 164199 and installed the block off plate View attachment 164191 . Then I found out healtech has the wrong ends on there connectors for there pair solenoid removal plug View attachment 164193 . Then I removed the clutch side bar weight and installed the barkbuster back bone View attachment 164195 .

Side note bike is alredy stripped for coolent flush and instal of a inline temp sensor for Trail Tech Voyager Pro gps. View attachment 164197
I did not have the block off plate, so I just closed the reed valve with epoxy as well as the openings in the airbox, and solenoid. I just let the selenoid hang there. it is not much more obtrusive than the additional plug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.