X-300 Seat ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

X-300 Seat ?

This x-300 seat is the hardest seat that I've ever owned.

What is everyone else using ???

No matter where you go - there you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:29 AM

I tried 3 reworks of the stock seat which made it into a tall seat & whilst it was better than stock it was still not perfect.

I have the last of those foam mods on eBay. Happy to send to anyone for the cost of shipping.

So I bought a seat concepts tall seat foam & cover. They are the best I have found. It’s much better than stock & better than my own version. Still not perfect, but good for a few hours in the saddle, where as the stock seat would kill my ass in 45minutes.

See pics. The last one includes a Ricohet bash plate too.

Be good to your butt, replace the seat 👍😀
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C317B5F-5081-431C-AD92-594B8558089C_1552555577846.jpg (9.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 687A2542-F3E4-4330-B779-C1D345CEE1CC_1552555628824.jpg (22.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 91B55750-0042-444A-852D-F7853E3FB6C9_1552555645587.jpg (14.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 27D13683-F604-454C-9386-4FBF0989C2A2_1552555703045.jpg (21.2 KB, 33 views)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:48 AM

Terry Adcox Custom Seats

The biggest bang for your buck....
https://www.terryscustomseats.com/

Tex
Lajitas
twowheeladdict and bwag1961 like this.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Ooooops - forgot to mention my 29" inseam.

No tall seats !

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexH View Post

Tex
Lajitas
Terry lives within my riding circle and I have had him make several custom seats for me. He does great work at a reasonable price. He has quite a history and is a one man shop.
kballowe and bwag1961 like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Nobody said Corbin.

Yet

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:10 AM

Not sure if Corbin make a seat for this bike yet. The biggest issue with the stock seat is zero padding & what’s there is to stiff. The frame rails are angled upwards, such that the rear of the rider portion of the seat only has 20mm of hard foam over the seat base ☹️ It’s also angled forwards which is bad. So the tall seat benefits in two ways, there is 50mm+ of foam & it’s a softer density !
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:42 AM

Garage
I would go with Terry Adcock.....https://www.terryscustomseats.com ... Or go this route...https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...7-russell.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
Not sure if Corbin make a seat for this bike yet.
Corbin makes a seat for the x-300 - I went out to their website and they're there.
The factory spec seat height is 32.1" and Corbin lists theirs as 34.5", so that's not gonna work for me.

Last edited by kballowe; 03-14-2019 at 12:54 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Corbin makes a seat for the x-300 - I went out to their website and they're there.
The factory spec seat height is 32.1" and Corbin lists theirs as 34.5", so that's not gonna work for me.
i have had and have Corbin seats on my cruisers. They make a great cruiser seat.

My problem with Corbin is that is all they make is a cruiser seat. Sure they make seats that fit on other bikes but they put you in the cruiser riding position. When I have sat on non cruiser bikes with Corbin seats I get myself situated on the seat and then close my eyes and reach for the bars. When I open my eyes I am several inches above and back from where the grips should be.

If you aren't interested in the above suggestions take a look at sargent because they make adventure style seats for various bikes. I had one for my KLX250S.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
Not sure if Corbin make a seat for this bike yet. The biggest issue with the stock seat is zero padding & whatís there is to stiff. The frame rails are angled upwards, such that the rear of the rider portion of the seat only has 20mm of hard foam over the seat base ☹️ Itís also angled forwards which is bad. So the tall seat benefits in two ways, there is 50mm+ of foam & itís a softer density !
Installed my Corbin yesterday. Took an hour ride. Much improved over stock and I am told Corbins get better after a break in period.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
i have had and have Corbin seats on my cruisers. They make a great cruiser seat.

My problem with Corbin is that is all they make is a cruiser seat. Sure they make seats that fit on other bikes but they put you in the cruiser riding position. When I have sat on non cruiser bikes with Corbin seats I get myself situated on the seat and then close my eyes and reach for the bars. When I open my eyes I am several inches above and back from where the grips should be.

If you aren't interested in the above suggestions take a look at sargent because they make adventure style seats for various bikes. I had one for my KLX250S.
I'm interested in all suggestions.

I've used Mean City Cycles for seat mods, bought Seat Concepts, Corbin, Mustang, etc - over the years. My options are somewhat limited because of a short (29") inseam.

Perhaps there's a set of platform shoes in my future ?
twowheeladdict likes this.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 05:22 PM

I've had a Corbin on both a '09 ninja 250r and a 2014 FJR. Both were a little better than standard seat but still way too hard for me.
When I got my new 2017 x-300, seat was very hard for the 40 mile slow trip home. From experience I learned on my FJR, I ripped out all the foam and put in a little bit of different foam and used modified this to fit:
Purple Portable Seat Cushion
You do loose almost all vibrations in seat and some feel of the bike but way better and very cheap compare to lots of other seats.

It also lowered the seat a fair amount on purpose since I have short legs.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:54 PM

Its the worst factory seat of any bike that I've ever owned. I've ordered a Airhawk that should arrive on Monday, I'll post the results as soon as I have time to do some serious seat time on it. If it works as well as the one I had on my Triumph Thunderbird, it will be well worth the price.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:25 AM

Seat Concepts for my 300 is the most comfortable seat I have ever had.
On other bikes have had Sargeant which was good, and Corbin which was not good.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrider02 View Post
Seat Concepts for my 300 is the most comfortable seat I have ever had.
On other bikes have had Sargeant which was good, and Corbin which was not good.
Did the seat concepts seat raise the right height?
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:01 AM

Same height as stock. I wonder why Kawasaki couldn't have spent a few extra dollars on better
foam and have the same results as Seat Concepts.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

More on the X-300 Corbin seat:

Factory seat height is 32.1 and Corbin lists 34.5 for their replacement seat. OK, so I emailed Corbin about the seat height asked if they had a lower version of that - and here is their response:

"I'm sorry to say that we cannot make the seat as low/narrow as the stock seat. For a better, ride we made it higher and further back"

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:20 PM

Garage
Wallet Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexH View Post

Tex
Lajitas
What are we looking at as far as wallet damage goes for a Terry custom seat?
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:36 AM

Garage
The most economical choice is the purchase of Kawasaki's optional "higher seat" as you can replace it with the original when you sell the bike and sell the higher seat separately. It has a different seat pan, is 2" longer (1" for the passenger, 1" for you) 1" or so higher, and has a far more comfortable shape towards the tank.
Perhaps not as flash or as comfortable as the aftermarket, but still a giant leap forward from the low seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X300Seat_12.jpg (44.4 KB, 20 views)

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode