How Popular And How Durable Is The Kawasaki Versys-X 300 - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 AM

LOL - in the case of the British motorcycles - this resulted in a nice improvement in quality.

Jake Wheelie likes this.

No matter where you go - there you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Every now-and-then I get into a conversation w/ someone (old) asking about my Versys, what is it?, etc.

My answer: Remember the 650 Triumph Bonneville from the '60s?

When they answer "Yes..." - I say that the Versys is WHAT Triumph Bonnevilles would be IF they hadn't gone bankrupt back then, and ignoring what the NEW Triumph company has attained.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
LOL - in the case of the British motorcycles - this resulted in a nice improvement in quality.

Yeah true, if you're talking of the early British bikes from the 60's & 70's. Actually their bikes with triple cylinder Hinckley motors of the 90's into the early 2000's were known as some of the best built bikes being built at that time as far as quality build and reliability, and that motor was truly bullet proof. I had a couple of those bikes, including this 25 year old 3rd generation Thunderbird 900 that I ended up selling in 2016, it was always solid as a rock, never any issues. But you're right, the Triumphs prior to John Bloor's ownership (still the owner) in the 60's and 70's were known to leak oil like a sieve, and many had electrical issues, same with Norton's and BSA's. But even with that, they were very popular because they were the fastest bikes in production at that time. I've owned a few Triumphs over the last twenty years because they were that good. I've owned a few Japanese bikes in there from the big 4 too, Some were pretty nice, others not so much. I like just about anything with two wheels and a motor though.

Last edited by zebraranger; 03-19-2019 at 03:44 PM.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraranger View Post
...But you're right, the Triumphs prior to John Bloor's ownership (still the owner) in the 60's and 70's were known to leak oil like a sieve, and many had electrical issues, same with Norton's and BSA's....
BOTH of my '60s Triumph 650s blew-up their alternators taking out the primary chain-case at the same time. I was VERY lucky on the second one - I was near the Grand Coulee Dam in WA on my Bonneville (which had a magneto, so it would function w/out a battery......, and I found a welder there who welded-up the chain-case so it would hold oil), so I was able to return to Alberta....

SOMETIMES I feel guilty on my Kawis that (pretty much) all you have to do is add gas, and GO!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode