sprocket change and engine ???? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By Brockie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

sprocket change and engine ????

Hi, I have a 2017 Versys 300x non ABS. I want to install a 38 tooth rear sprocket on the rear to lower the rpms and increase mpg. I know the instrument cluster will throw a fault code and the gear indicator will stop working. Any other issues? does the gas gauge and fuel range still compute? Does the speed O work... even if it is not accurate? Any problems long term riding the bike with errors? Thanks and Merry Christmas....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 07:53 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
use the search tab on the main page there has been a few post about this problem

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by versys18 View Post
Hi, I have a 2017 Versys 300x non ABS. I want to install a 38 tooth rear sprocket on the rear to lower the rpms and increase mpg. I know the instrument cluster will throw a fault code and the gear indicator will stop working. Any other issues? does the gas gauge and fuel range still compute? Does the speed O work... even if it is not accurate? Any problems long term riding the bike with errors? Thanks and Merry Christmas....
Check out this thread: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t

Versys x300 - Sprockets/Re-gearing Causes Engine Fault Light

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” ~ Charles Kingsley

2018 Kawasaki Versys 300x

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 12:07 AM

Garage
Read my reply to your PM.

I do not recommend such an extreme gearing change. I tried it and it was too much for the bike to cope with. You have to ride the bike like you stole it, rowing the gearbox all the time or you will lug the motor.

My opinion is that even high-speed freeway 65/75 mph speeds will return poorer fuel economy than stock. Your proposed gearing change is too extreme. Trust me - I have already done it, and reversed it.

I found 14/42 (OEM Ninja 300 gearing) to be ideal, but that engine fault light still keeps coming up.

If you check these gearing ratios you will find that 15/46 (3.066) is not that much lower than 14/42 (3.0) and 15/46 does not cause the fault to come up.
onewizard likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.....got my question answered
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thank for answering my question
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Read my reply to your PM.

I do not recommend such an extreme gearing change. I tried it and it was too much for the bike to cope with. You have to ride the bike like you stole it, rowing the gearbox all the time or you will lug the motor.

My opinion is that even high-speed freeway 65/75 mph speeds will return poorer fuel economy than stock. Your proposed gearing change is too extreme. Trust me - I have already done it, and reversed it.

I found 14/42 (OEM Ninja 300 gearing) to be ideal, but that engine fault light still keeps coming up.

If you check these gearing ratios you will find that 15/46 (3.066) is not that much lower than 14/42 (3.0) and 15/46 does not cause the fault to come up.
Nothing to do with this thread except the actual sprockets needed to go ( 3.066).

Something I am kicking around, seems there are a abundance of X300 on Gumtree , something I need to try myself in Ontario. My question is, have you ridden the V 650 , I know you have the V strom, I am looking at the fact it is LAM approved and rather than sell it after, I might leave it with my daughter, who is thinking of getting her bike license, her better half has a DR650S Suzuki .I am kicking around the fact I may need to do very little to make it ride able for myself compared to the Versys 650 available on Gumtree, right now she is close to Melbourne, looking at doing Taz and the south east coast of OZ.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-26-2018 at 12:45 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Something I am kicking around, seems there are a abundance of X300 on Gumtree , something I need to try myself in Ontario. My question is, have you ridden the V 650 , I know you have the V strom, I am looking at the fact it is LAM approved and rather than sell it after, I might leave it with my daughter, who is thinking of getting her bike license, her better half has a DR650S Suzuki .I am kicking around the fact I may need to do very little to make it ride able for myself compared to the Versys 650 available on Gumtree, right now she is close to Melbourne, looking at doing Taz and the south east coast of OZ.
I have not ridden a V650.

From listening to those that have ridden both I get the impression that the V650 is slightly more nimble and roadworthy than the V-Strom, which is a taller, more top-heavy machine. The 19" front wheel should make it more capable offroad, and it does have quite conservative geometry compared to the V650.

The V-Strom 650 LAMS approved bike has reportedly almost identical power low down to the full power version but with less puff at the top end.

If you intended to stay on the seal the V650 would be my choice. Were you to venture into the red centre of mainland Australia these days I would choose the VX300. Not as comfortable getting there but far more capable and confidence inspiring no matter how rough it gets.

Tasmania is famous for its quality winding sealed roads. Not surprising really as it is a very mountainous state.
onewizard likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 01:54 AM

Rather, change the front sprocket+ 2 teeth.
it works better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode