Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

GPS Navigation App Recommendation?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  pouria 
#1 ·
Any recommendations for a GPS Navigation App (android)? Maybe one for planning good ride routes (curvy)? Offline maps is also important. I sometimes go without a signal for a while in the more rural areas. Thanks!

#2 ·
I use maps me for my offline maps. It can be used worldwide by loading the maps to the device. I have not used it to navigate as I have Garmin GPS units for that.
Maps me works well for when you stop, you can locate where you are and zoom out to see what is near you. I now run an old phone with no service plan and just the GPS receiver to display a larger north up display along with my Garmin GPS. It works even when you are not in cellular coverage.

#3 ·
Check out Butler Maps for old fashioned printed maps. They use an non-rip plastic so they are very durable. I find I only reference maps when stopped. I don't like looking at a little screen while moving. For distances or more complicated routes, I write very simplified directions on a piece of paper and either put it in a clear armband ID holder on my left forearm or in the clear map pocket on my tank bag.

I know this doesn't answer your specific question, but I have found GPS to hinder not help my riding/driving enjoyment. I plan ahead using maps or the internet, then ride with just the minimal instructions needed and a map I can pull out if needed.

#5 ·
I use CoPilot, mi Es on Apple but they do an Android version. I have used it all over Europe & when I was in Hawaii last year.

It has offline maps & multiple vehicle type profiles, so you can choose Motorcycle or Car & what type of navigation, as in shortest or fastest. You can create or modify the profiles & add routes etc.

It supports sound & device preferences to, so you can set nav to override music or phone calls etc, so you never miss a turn. It has lots of customisable options. And most importantly it works well & gets regular updates. You choose one Map area when you buy it & can add others for a small fee.

#7 ·
I would suggest Waze! I've worked with many different navigation applications but none have been able to beat Waze. It is an Online app and requires Internet connection but routing engine is very powerful.
for offilne purposes I use Sygic. not as smart as Waze but works well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.