Will we see a Versys 400X in a year or two? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Will we see a Versys 400X in a year or two?

So does anyone else hope for a Versys 400X with fully adjustable suspension that weighs less than 400 lbs wet?

Kawasaki now has the Ninja 400 and the Z400 so it makes sense that a Versys 400 should follow.
Fastoman and asphaltaddict33 like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I would prefer a Versys with a 750 or 800 motor....V1000 seems a bit heavy for asian's.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd be very interested in a V400 designed for more off road. Spoked wheels, skid plate, crash bars, good tires. The V650 and V1k cover touring just fine but for average sized folks are too heavy for much off-road. A 400 might be the sweet spot.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Versys 300x ABS 385.9 lbs
Versys 650 ABS 476.3 lbs
Ninja 300 ABS 383.7 lbs
Ninja 400 ABS 366 lbs
Z400 ABS 363.8 lbs
KLX250S 304.3 lbs

From Kawasaki's website. If they can get it down to about 350 lbs with the 400cc engine I would be a buyer. Otherwise I might just pick up another KLX250S if I come across a leftover.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The 300 is a little heavy, but with some good tyres it works quite well on all sorts of off road tracks and some mild rough stuff.

The other day a lane started in a stream as the farmer had fenced off the lane entry from his field. Looked quite shallow, but I got worried when we got to the one part we could not see from the bank & the water came over my knees, so about 2’6” deep !
Luckily it got shallower after that, phew.

The 300 is fine for this kind of riding. My buddy was on a CRF250 Rallye and struggled with gearing, as 2nd was to high & first to low. Basically to big a gap between the bottom ratios. The X300 plodded along in second most of the time with 3/4th on the faster 30mph sections & 1st onnthe steeper or more difficult sections at around 4mph 👍😀

YMMV
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
The 300 is a little heavy,
YMMV
It is interesting though that Kawasaki made the Ninja 400 lighter than the Ninja 300.

They could get a Versys X400 to 350 lbs if they wanted to.

The Yamaha Tenere 700 is said to come in at 452 lbs. 100 lbs would be noticeable when in the woods.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:59 AM

Getting the center of gravity lower would also be a nice change. The fuel tank is so high on the V650 that I can really feel it when full vs half full.

I see videos of obviously taller riders having no problem with the V650 off road. Same with the big beemers. But at 5'10" and no longer a strong 20 yr old, a lighter bike and/or lower CG would be welcomed.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:32 AM

I found a simple way to make my bike lighter - I lost 30 lbs!

;-)
Fly-Sig, Buffalo_Bob and TexH like this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekes17 View Post
I found a simple way to make my bike lighter - I lost 30 lbs!

;-)
Some of us don't have 30 lbs to lose. I could use 20 lbs of muscle which would help with heavier bikes off road.

I went from a DRZ400S (which would wear me out on hill climbs), to a KLR650 (that I no longer attempted hill climbs on), to a KLX250S which was great unless you had to go 65 mph to get to the trails.

Now, I am just looking for something for slow comfortable exploring since I live along the Tennessee portion of the TAT.
Fastoman likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:26 PM

I had to look up what TAT meant...very cool! Plus, looks perfect for baby Versys-X, which can carry 400 lbs.

Sounds like you are below that.

;-)
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 05:50 PM

Garage
I sure hope so though a bigger, badder X. I want to see Kawasaki answer the Africa Twin, Tenere World Raid and KTM 790. Come on Kawi....big dollars for you here in this segment.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 06:05 PM

7 Expectations of Millennial Adventure Riders - ADV Pulse

Looks like the younger riders are also interested in a lighter bike, not just for ease of riding but to be more eco-friendly, not to mention lighter on the wallet. Maybe Kawasaki or another manufacturer will try to fill this market segment.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:03 PM

Interesting article - I would add that older guys like me (returning riders) are not dissimilar in what attracts them to adv bikes.

I would also like to see another displacement of Versys-x.
Fly-Sig likes this.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
It is interesting though that Kawasaki made the Ninja 400 lighter than the Ninja 300.

They could get a Versys X400 to 350 lbs if they wanted to.
The issue is strength. The Versys (particularly the X) needs to be built strong enough to withstand the possible harsh treatment that a Ninja is not subjected to. The Ninja 300 especially was built to be the fastest in proddy racing which is what brings in the sales numbers.

My thoughts are that with the loss of the venerable KLR650 that Kawasaki will be contemplating to expand its adventure range in the 600-800cc range. Something completely different and more focused than the Versys.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
The issue is strength. The Versys (particularly the X) needs to be built strong enough to withstand the possible harsh treatment that a Ninja is not subjected to. The Ninja 300 especially was built to be the fastest in proddy racing which is what brings in the sales numbers.
Look at how light the KLX250S is and it is strong and capable. It is just choice of materials that make the difference.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
My thoughts are that with the loss of the venerable KLR650 that Kawasaki will be contemplating to expand its adventure range in the 600-800cc range. Something completely different and more focused than the Versys.
I completely agree with you. Kawasaki retired the equally venerable Concours 1000 in 2006 and in 2008 released a totally revamped Concours 1400. I expect they will do something similar to replace the KLR. Funny, I have a KLR and a C14 and am contemplating selling both of them now that I have a Versys.

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Vonnegut
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn21 View Post
Quote:
I completely agree with you. Kawasaki retired the equally venerable Concours 1000 in 2006 and in 2008 released a totally revamped Concours 1400. I expect they will do something similar to replace the KLR. Funny, I have a KLR and a C14 and am contemplating selling both of them now that I have a Versys.
If it is a V1000 LT, it definitely splits the difference if you never went trail riding.

If it is a V650 LT, it splits the difference if you never twisted the throttle on th C14.

When I had my Versys 650, it replaced my KLR650 and Ninja 650. I would always tell people that if I could only have one of the bikes in my stable it would be the Versys 650.

Now that I am down to two bikes, I am not sure what one bike made today would cover my wants and desires.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:24 AM

I'd like to see manufacturers acknowledge that there actually two distinct parts of the "low displacement" market:
- The people who are young, just starting out, or only commuting and want a "cheap and easy" bike,
- The people who have been riding for a while, are able to appreciate (and pay for) quality suspension, brakes, etc. and consciously decide for a low displacement engine because they want low weight and don't need absurd horsepower

I feel that the second group has been growing steadily lately but there are still very few options for them. Maybe the new 390s from KTM?

Some manufacturers are making a step in the right directions with their high-displacement bikes, providing a "normal" version and a "pro" version, that usually has an extra "R" in the name and different suspension, engine tuning etc. Maybe we could see that for small bikes as well?
Pekes17 likes this.

2015 Versys 650
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Look at how light the KLX250S is and it is strong and capable. It is just choice of materials that make the difference.
Yes, but if you outfitted a klx250 to be comparable to the vx3, the 80ish pound advantage it has over the vx3 is going get significantly smaller. Each bike is built to do a different job, and the way its built and set up reflects that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” ~ Charles Kingsley

2018 Kawasaki Versys 300x
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 02:12 AM

Is it possible that you sent them to me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode