Will we see a Versys 400X in a year or two? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:41 AM

I went to the 2018 NYC motorcycle show and passed through Kawasaki's area so I asked ones their reps about a 400 Versys since the Ninja 400 is already out. He said for now Kawasaki wants to see a return on it's 300 in the Versysband that you can't just swap in a 400 because the frame is different on the Versys. He said maybe in a few years. I'm hoping 2020 will be the year for the Versys-X 400. Any help in power would be welcome for the entry Versys.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:13 PM

2020 at the earliest, ROI is important for Kawi but I suspect US dealers are overlooking, ignorant, or unwilling to explain the real reason is emissions regulations. The Euro 5 emissions standard is causing a significant delay in manufacturers introducing new models until that rule is finalized/implemented. No one here pays attention to it but since manufacturing is focused on making global products currently, its dictating available models here.

Euro 5 requires the addition of OBD II type emissions monitoring equipment on every 'new type approved' model sold after Jan 1, 2020; with existing models required to adhered to that standard 12 months later. So Kawasaki doesnt want to introduce a Euro 4 compliant Versys 400 (or any bike) in 2019, to only have to make significant updates 24 months later. The Euro 5 emissions monitoring and compliance must last the lifetime of the vehicle, Euro 4 standards only meant a bike had to remain in compliance for 20,000KM, not clear what has to be changed for that to occur. But these rules have only recently been solidified, so they couldnt really rush a Euro 5 compliant bike to market in 2019, or would be unwise to if possible.

To be clear, these rules DO NOT apply to the USA, BUT we dont buy as many bikes as the Europeans, so their market regulations are dictating model development cycles for the bikes sold here. We do not get special treatment such that all bikes sold here are developed for the USA, some are for sure, but a sub-500cc bike thats designed to be made for a global market is highly affected by European emissions rules. They might leave off some compliance parts required for the EU when selling a bike here, but thats only gonna happen after their major markets are catered too.

This rule is why KLR production just ended, as well the Hyabusa is gone..... expect replacements in 2020 at the earliest.

Learning this helped me understand why Yamaha refuses to release the T7 until 2020 (ugh)

That being said, I would love to see a Versys X-400 come out as a KLR replacement. Huge gas tank, overbuilt frame ready for luggage and adventure.... sounds great but im worried these rules are going to inflate prices beyond what the super affordable X-300 is at now. Long live my KLR!

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:06 PM

Wow. Thanks. Damn European Union and their obsession with rules and bureaucracy. They're trying to kill off combustion engines.

Well, I would like to see a cheaper X-300 along with an X-400 and even a 500. I also wish they'd offer a rally edition with greater suspension travel. I wish it would be like buying a car where you can have more of a made-to-order experience with more engine choices, a brake upgrade option, etc.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Wheelie View Post
...I wish it would be like buying a car where you can have more of a made-to-order experience with more engine choices, a brake upgrade option, etc. ...
THEN you probably COULDN'T (WOULDN'T?) afford one....
asphaltaddict33 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:00 PM

If the industry was wise they'd do just that but make it more affordable because they need all they can to keep the industry alive in America. As cars become even more dealer-dependent and less affordable more people might turn to motorcycles and alternative vehicles like the Elio. They'll want the option of an automatic instead of a manual) (not me lol) etc. Honda already offers DCTs and manuals on the same model for a few different models, BMW different suspension packages and different seat heights, ok they're BMW, but more should follow with offering options and making things more affordable as well. This way they can get more money out of their buyers but their buyers well feel satisfied and not ripped off or sucked dry - exactly how a lot of car-buyers are feeling nowadays. Expensive and optional luxury items is what most people think of when it comes to motorcycles. Not good in this economy so motorcycle manufacturers need to work on that.

Last edited by Jake Wheelie; 01-26-2019 at 08:08 PM.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This spring I am planning to do a side by side comparison of the Versys X-300 and the Vanvan 200. I love the huge flat seat of the Vanvan, but don't know if I can live with 1.7 gallons and a 200cc engine.

Ari tore one up in the hills in this video. I wish they would have ridden the Versys with it instead of the Multistrada.

Did i mention that I love the huge seat on the Vanvan? If this thing came in a 400cc version that could maintain a true 60 mph at a reasonable cost I would probably get one.

If I bought a Versys X-300 I would have to see if Terry can make me a flat wide seat for it.

My Versys Travels:

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:03 AM

The VanVan is a great idea, a great retro-looking, cheap motorcycle and I think it uses the same 200cc engine as my Burgman. It should have around 18-20hp which is pretty good for such a smaller displacement. I sat on a VanVan at the same dealer where I've bought my two previous bikes. I wonder if it has more power on the road than my CVT Burgman since it has a manual.

I use the 300 now every day and I usually have my wife on the back and the performance still seems pretty good on the Versys. With the Burgman the engine gets less performance but still has decent power in the city. I would wait to see if they'll come out with the 400 version of the Versys but the dealer I go to has a couple of leftover 2018 ones that are marked down to $4700 plus assembly + shipping taxes and tags would be around 6k when you're done but this is a quote for New York City so.....

My favorite videos show people using the Versys-X on dirt. And, me, I always look for the worst streets: Pothole-ridden, disgraces to America, streets that highlight the corruption and incompetence of the City of New York.

If they come out with an X-400 then I'd probably get one because by 2020-2021 I'll have paid off my X 300 and sold it. By then I might have a bit of miles though. Maybe 5-8k. Especially if I make a few trips from the Bronx to Pittsfield, MA or to visit a friend in Burlington, VT.

Last edited by Jake Wheelie; 01-27-2019 at 10:13 AM.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:07 AM

My wife doesn't weigh much though: Under 100 pounds and let's keep that a secret because if she finds out I talked about her weight.................

Last edited by Jake Wheelie; 01-27-2019 at 10:14 AM.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Wheelie View Post
If the industry was wise they'd do just that but make it more affordable because they need all they can to keep the industry alive in America.
It simply doesn't work that way, more options = more cost.

To offer an upgraded suspension + brake package they cant just slap on parts and ship it to dealers anymore. The mere threat of product liability litigation makes it so they must take measures to CTA (cover their a$$) by investing in product development for each model version they sell, in addition to paying for product liability insurance to cover their whole production volume. A sad reality of our current market economy

Additionally, to support more options they must develop corresponding service procedures to remit to dealers, train techs to perform different procedures sometimes, and keep those consumable parts available for dealers to order. All small costs, but incrementally they add up to big bucks if this were implemented across a 10-15 bike product line. Once they do that for 5-10 years its a lot of parts and procedures to document and source.... and someone has to be paid to manage all of it. And models change quicker than that, so its multiple variants of multiple models over multiple years..........

So to do this AND make enough money to stay in business they would HAVE to charge more money for extra OEM options.

BMW used to do what you wish existed still.... but they couldnt sustain it/the consumers did not buy enough to support it. Im thinking of the late 2000s G650 x-country, x-moto, x-enduro? (there were a bunch of same model variants cant remember them all). They have identified a specific niche that it still works with, the "A" versions of the GS line sell well so its worth it, but only for 800 & 1200s, not the cheaper bikes. Although they kinda still do this with the F700, it has the exact same engine as the F800, but de-tuned and with different styling and with cheaper components elsewhere to knock the price down and appeal to different consumers. But that was a deliberate and calculated move, and it is still not a cheap bike.

In the view of manufacturers, keeping motorcycling alive in the USA means attracting new riders who aren't currently riding, the baby boomers with deep pockets are aging out of the sport quickly, and they need to offer cheap and approachable bikes to appeal to new riders, with a product line that a rider can upgrade through as they advance in skill and experience.

So the options you desire are generally taken care of by the aftermarket scene, cheap bikes have cheap owners (as they see it) so smaller models do not receive the support larger more expensive ones do...

Aftermarket mods also take the liability out of the hands of the OEM, and let the few who do want/need these features take care of it themselves... pretty ideal situation for the OEMs, so this isn't going to change anytime soon
twowheeladdict and _Big_Mac_ like this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK. A little more information. The 400cc motor used in the Z400 makes 1/3 more torque than the 300cc motor used in the Versys X300. That is significant.

I have no problem upgrading the suspension myself on a motorcycle but am aware that it can be done cheaper if the factory does it because I am not paying for the stock suspension and then aftermarket suspension if the factory puts on good suspension to begin with.

I really need to find a test ride on some small displacement bikes and see what I think.

My Versys Travels:

post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:37 PM

As soon as / if they come out with a Versys X 400 mine will be sold and I'll be at the dealer with an envelope of cash.

Sounds cool. Let us know.

I want to see if I can rent either a Z400 or Ninja 400 to compare them with the Versys 300 I have.

twowheeladdict likes this.
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:19 PM

Has anyone modified a Z400 to an upright seating position? Not strong enough for offroad, but great on the street.

2017 Versys X300 Russell Sport, Madstad windshield, Moto Werk 1" lowering kit

2000 Honda St1100 ABS Russell Day-Long seat, Works shock, Helibars
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
Has anyone modified a Z400 to an upright seating position? Not strong enough for offroad, but great on the street.
I don't know what your stature is, but I found the Z400 to be quite cramped for my 5'11" 190lb body.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode