New Skid Plate. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott Zinda
  • 1 Post By Mohawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New Skid Plate.

This T-Rex Brand skid plate is thinner than a competitor model, however I like that its not bolted right the frame so the brackets can take some abuse. I would not expect this plate to protect the bike from giant blows into rocks as high speed. I do think it will protect the bike adequately from rocks and impacts at moderate speeds. On a Versys X all I need is enough speed and ability to follow some buddies and keep up on light to moderately challenging trails. I also chose this plate versus the thicker competitor model because you can keep the small plastic fairings installed and it looks much more like it is meant for this bike. The installation was super easy with three tools. 8 and 10mm wrench and an Allen wrench. There is a video on how to install online. This is a clean and nice product and the price is nice too. If I have any issues during as I own it longer I will update this review
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10774799696_IMG_0793.jpg (52.7 KB, 59 views)
Eljaygalianto likes this.

Scott

I feel safer on a motocross track than a freeway, but I am working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 10:30 AM

I built a version similar to the T-Rex style using 2mm alloy brackets & 2mm alloy plate. A few rough crossings of some lumps bent the whole plate & brackets. The T-Rex plate uses the stock steel brackets that locate the plastic side covers. These brackets are attached to alloy stubs on the sump of the engine, they are NOT designed to take impacts. The T-Rex steel brackets & more solid plate than mine will overload the mounts if it takes a half reasonable hit.

That’s why I went with the Ricichet plate, more solid, proper locating hardware & far better protection.

YMMV
Scott Zinda likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
I built a version similar to the T-Rex style using 2mm alloy brackets & 2mm alloy plate. A few rough crossings of some lumps bent the whole plate & brackets. The T-Rex plate uses the stock steel brackets that locate the plastic side covers. These brackets are attached to alloy stubs on the sump of the engine, they are NOT designed to take impacts. The T-Rex steel brackets & more solid plate than mine will overload the mounts if it takes a half reasonable hit.

Thats why I went with the Ricichet plate, more solid, proper locating hardware & far better protection.

YMMV
No question the Ricochet is better for a serious hit. I hit some pretty serious rocks yesterday and the T-Rex held up pretty well. I think its going to be fine for my needs.

Scott

I feel safer on a motocross track than a freeway, but I am working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode