##URGENT## Is it okay to mix oils in emergency? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

6Likes
  • 3 Post By Fastoman
  • 3 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation ##URGENT## Is it okay to mix oils in emergency?

Hello Guys,

I am currently doing a cross country tour of the US. In my first leg of the journey, I was planning to ride from Houston to Chicago. However, due to some personal reasons, I planned to come back.

On my way back ,near St.Louis, I started to hear a loud thumping noise from the engine. It feels like the exhaust note got a bit lower and louder. I suspect it is because of low engine oil. I changed the engine oil only once with the dealer(it was the first oil change at 600 miles). I do not know what brand/ type the dealer used. Is it okay if I top off the engine oil with some good suitable oil (SAE 10W-40) from the market, or do I need the exact same brand?

Please let me know.

He who is brave is free
- Seneca the Younger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Brand doesn't matter and if your using a V650 make sure the oil is for wet clutch. (JASO).
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Hello Guys,

I am currently doing a cross country tour of the US. In my first leg of the journey, I was planning to ride from Houston to Chicago. However, due to some personal reasons, I planned to come back.

On my way back ,near St.Louis, I started to hear a loud thumping noise from the engine. It feels like the exhaust note got a bit lower and louder. I suspect it is because of low engine oil. I changed the engine oil only once with the dealer(it was the first oil change at 600 miles). I do not know what brand/ type the dealer used. Is it okay if I top off the engine oil with some good suitable oil (SAE 10W-40) from the market, or do I need the exact same brand?

Please let me know.

As long as its rated JASO-MA2....Your Golden

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 04:07 AM

Like other people said but .... are you sure it's from the oil? What's the level when you look at the glass? How many miles do you currently have (from the last oil change)? It might be something else that needs attention.

Ride safe
Versys X-300, Ducati Multistrada 1200 ABS
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:35 AM

Garage
Loud thumping? I think there might be a little more going on there.....

Let us know what happened when you get back to the Dealer

2016 Kawasaki Green Versys 1000
2013 Kawasaki Concours 1400
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400 (sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (gone- speed related
)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Is it okay to mix oils in emergency?

It's OK to mix oils ANY TIME, as long as you use oils suitable for wet-clutches, but like others have posted - are you SURE the sound is related to low-oil level?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
I started to hear a loud thumping noise from the engine. It feels like the exhaust note got a bit lower and louder. I suspect it is because of low engine oil.
I suspect that it is not. If your oil level was that low (as in empty) the oil light would come on a few minutes before the engine seized.

Engines do not usually make loud thumping noises. More info, please.
Look elsewhere for your issue.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 01:47 PM

Plus, it's very easy to check the oil level. Make sure you do that first, before you do anything else. You don't want to overfill it too much with oil either.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 10:16 PM

Lower and louder exhaust note sounds like an exhaust leak, on a pre-2015 bike I would suspect that maybe the muffler has loosened from the header pipe, on a 2015+, not sure as the stock exhaust is 1 piece, maybe leaking at the header?

If it is loud enough to hear at highway speed with a stock exhaust you have something seriously wrong going on there.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 10:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
Lower and louder exhaust note sounds like an exhaust leak, on a pre-2015 bike I would suspect that maybe the muffler has loosened from the header pipe, on a 2015+, not sure as the stock exhaust is 1 piece, maybe leaking at the header?

If it is loud enough to hear at highway speed with a stock exhaust you have something seriously wrong going on there.
The OP is on a 300x. It's either a 2017 or 2018.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” ~ Charles Kingsley

2018 Kawasaki Versys 300x
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Managed to figure out the issue. There was a major crack on the exhaust just a few inches from the engine. I guess it was acting as a muffler delete causing the exhaust note to go down and the motorcycle to get a lot louder.

How would you reccomend fixing the crack in the exhaust?

Can you reccomend some good after market exhaust systems?

He who is brave is free
- Seneca the Younger
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:51 PM

Might it still be covered by warranty?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:49 PM

Garage
Could you have hit a rock or something?

Any good welder can weld it up but you describe a crack a few inches from the engine which is unheard of, and very unusual.

How about some more information? Bike age, mileage, and if you take it offroad, or have had a fall. I'd definitely be checking out a possible warranty claim before having it welded. A pic or two would also be helpful.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:58 PM

Garage
A replacement OEM exhaust is available from Babbits online for $826.70 https://www.babbittsonline.com/oempa...0d4b/muffler-s

Alternatives are:-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Ve...0AAOSwMjtb7KML
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Ve...EAAOSwAzxb7KK-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delkevic-Ka....c100005.m1851

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:55 AM

Its basically a car exhaust...I remember fixing a hole on a car muffler years ago with "muffler tape" I think. Weld is better. Thats a pricey item new! Or time to try a Cherry Bomb!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:19 PM

I used muffler tape once, long ago, on a tailpipe. I think the header may be too hot and too high pressure for the tape. First I'd see if it is under warranty, and if so is it a failure due to manufacturing/materials? If so, have the dealer replace the exhaust.

If it is some kind of impact damage or out of warranty, I'd first take it to a good shop to see if it can be welded cheaply.

Failing that, what the heck give muffler tape a try. Worst case is it doesn't work. But I wouldn't try something like tape or patch until other options are exhausted. ...
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Pictures & Warranty

As in the title, cracks are usually stress, trying to weld that, not a good idea unless you don't care. My exhaust is a alloy, be aware when welding alloys , special welding rods of the same material is used, also where stress is concerned , it is preheated, welded, then it goes through a annealing process. Warranty status and photos would be helpful .
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 05:26 PM

Garage
I'm guessing impact damage - probably against the collector. If I am correct both pipes will be bent.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Ve...0AAOSwMjtb7KML is lookin better by the minute.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode