After market cast wheels - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By jspringator
  • 1 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By Meljay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

After market cast wheels

Dear all

As having a flat is no rare event for me, I am looking at ways if putting tubeless tires on the Versys the next time I change them. I have read the sticky thread for converting the spoked wheels on the X-300 to accommodate tubeless tires but I wasn't really convinced that it's a fail safe option, especially after all the info floating around that 19 inch tires don't have a bead for sealing. So the next option is to find cast wheels. I will be using the bike solely on tarmac, so I am not really afraid of beating the wheels on off road trips.

Does anybody know of any manufacturer that sells cast wheels for the bike? or maybe getting wheels from other Kawasaki bikes that are for tubeless tires?

I have not totally written of the idea of converting the existing spoked wheels but I haven't seen anybody doing it to this specific wheel set and I don't like the idea of having the wheels off the bike for a long period of time in order to complete the conversion.

Thanks

Ride safe
Versys X-300, Ducati Multistrada 1200 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:22 AM

Garage
You might be able to swap the rear wheel for one off a ninja 300 abs. Looks like it might work, but until someone tries it, its hard to know. You would have to make sure the sprocket and brake rotor lines up, check widths, axle, all that fun stuff. In theory you could do the same with the front, but that could be more complicated, not to mention the different wheel size.

I can't think of any one specifically making cast wheels for the little versys, you might have better luck having one of the various high end spoked wheel makers putting together a tubeless set up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. ~ Charles Kingsley

2018 Kawasaki Versys 300x
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

ABS / Not ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzoykas View Post
Dear all

As having a flat is no rare event for me, I am looking at ways if putting tubeless tires on the Versys the next time I change them. I have read the sticky thread for converting the spoked wheels on the X-300 to accommodate tubeless tires but I wasn't really convinced that it's a fail safe option, especially after all the info floating around that 19 inch tires don't have a bead for sealing. So the next option is to find cast wheels. I will be using the bike solely on tarmac, so I am not really afraid of beating the wheels on off road trips.

Does anybody know of any manufacturer that sells cast wheels for the bike? or maybe getting wheels from other Kawasaki bikes that are for tubeless tires?

I have not totally written of the idea of converting the existing spoked wheels but I haven't seen anybody doing it to this specific wheel set and I don't like the idea of having the wheels off the bike for a long period of time in order to complete the conversion.

Thanks
One deciding factor is in the title, if you follow the posts about sprocket change, you will find numerous posts about problems. Before I would attempt what you are thinking, I would find a different bike. Although this brings back memories of my DRZ400S and the street version DRZ400SM , who knows , maybe Kawi sees enough demand to provide that option down the road.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

So, at the moment it seems like a dead end. I've no intention of switching to another bike, nor change the wheels size. It does all I want and does it well. Let alone that it only has a few hundred kms on the dash. My only gripe is the tubed tires. So maybe somebody offers cast wheels in the future (or a really tried and tested conversion kit makes it in the market).

Thanks for the suggestions

Ride safe
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

I can't help you w/ brand-name, but I KNOW that there are several manufacturers that make a 'tube-replacement' for dirt-bikes, that look like several 'sausages' of some foam-like material, put in w/out air necessary.

Sorry I can't give you their name.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:21 PM

I'm just going to convert to Michelin Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes at the first tire change. A lot easier, especially since I'm going to pay someone else to mount them!

The rears can be sent off to be sealed because they have a safety bead. Woody's Wheel Works can do it. Not too expensive, IIRC. Woody's can make a front wheel that has the spokes mounted on a ridge in the center of the tire, thereby making it air tight. Of course, it has a safety bead. This is over $1,000 plus shipping to Colorado. They have to lace the wheel on your hub. These are the only way to get tubeless wheels that I know of, and I've been poking around on the internet researching this for a while.

If you want to try to do the rears yourself, find Tewster2's build of his DR650 on ADV rider. He has pictures and a full explanation. he took the bike to Alsaka, and as far as I know, they held air the whole time. He left the front tube because of the cost of buying a new rim, and the front tube is a lot easier to patch.

I think UHD tubes will work for me.
onewizard and tzoykas like this.

2017 Versys X300 Russell Sport, Madstad windshield, Moto Werk 1" lowering kit

2000 Honda St1100 ABS Russell Day-Long seat, Works shock, Helibars
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I can't help you w/ brand-name, but I KNOW that there are several manufacturers that make a 'tube-replacement' for dirt-bikes, that look like several 'sausages' of some foam-like material, put in w/out air necessary.

Sorry I can't give you their name.
They are called "Bib Mousse" tubes. A compressible rubber tube that has a built-in pressure equivalent. Most are designed for dirt bikes and so may be too "soft" for high speed running. Here is a 19". There are plenty of 21" and 18" versions, but I stopped looking before finding a 17".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NeuTech-Nit...-/232218363959

I saw them trialed once years back at a hare scramble. The rear could not take the heat generated by racing over very bumpy terrain and broke down. Rubber sawdust everywhere. The design and materials used today are probably much improved.
tzoykas likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 10:43 PM

For what it's worth, the dealerships in Vietnam offered the X-300 with an upgrade kit. This kit included crash bars, Tun LED fogs, Givi panniers and a set of tubeless tires on the stock wheels. I know they sold a bunch and people were happy with the tires (50/50 tires).

When it's time to change the tires, I'll definitely go tubeless.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:04 PM

Offered tubeless tyres? Were these fitted with tubes?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead.vn View Post
For what it's worth, the dealerships in Vietnam offered the X-300 with an upgrade kit. This kit included crash bars, Tun LED fogs, Givi panniers and a set of tubeless tires on the stock wheels. I know they sold a bunch and people were happy with the tires (50/50 tires).

When it's time to change the tires, I'll definitely go tubeless.
You can't put tubeless tires on the stock wheels without converting the wheels somehow. If they use tubes with tubeless tires they cannot avoid quick deflation in case of a puncture. I cannot find a reason to do what they propose. Unless it's just for offering a wider range of tires to choose from.

Ride safe
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

converting to TUBELESS!

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-tubeless.html

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I've read the sticky before posting this and I have my reservations as to whether the conversion will be safe for the front wheel since I cannot verify that it has a safety bead. I guess I will have to take a look at it when I change tires for the first time and decide if it's OK to make the conversion.

Ride safe
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:44 AM

Found the following links regarding tubeless conversions. The first gives information regarding the 'safety bead', the second is a link for modified wheels. It involves sending your hubs to the factory
Difference between WM type and MT type of the rim / OUTEX tubeless kit
https://woodyswheelworks.com/
tzoykas likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 09:17 AM

Garage
The Outex system must be reasonable as Woody's use that system on their Excel tubeless wheel conversions.
"We now seal the Excel rims for tubeless using the Outex tape system. There are no guarantees on the longevity of the seal".

That is surely a good sign.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode