Service Intervals - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By Brockie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Service Intervals

Took my X300 out this morning for a ride and to warm the oil for an oil/filter change.
All was good until I got the books out from under the seat. The Kawasaki dealer provided me with an Owners Manual and a separate Warranty Handbook, which also includes a maintenance schedule and pages with marked boxes to enter maintenance events.

Something did not seem right. On cross-referencing I found that the warranty handbook required engine oil changes at 1,000km. 6,000km, 12,000km 18,000km etc, with a filter change at each 2nd event.
However, the owners manual requires engine oil changes at 1,000km, 12,000km, 24,000km etc, with a filter change at each event.

I am guessing that the owners manual is correct.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 08:08 AM

Garage
Service manual matches my owners manual (US version) with service Every 3.8 thousand miles. And oil changes at 1,000km. 6,000km, 12,000km 18,000km etc, with a filter change at each event. I round off my services to every 4k miles and change the oil and filter at each service (4k miles) or once a year which ever comes first, as I do ride my bike in the dirt from time to time.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)

Last edited by chucksklrst; 10-02-2018 at 08:28 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Once I had done the "break-in" mileage (and oil-changes) on my V650s, I went to a 5,000 mile [or 8,000 km] oil and filter change schedule.
AlaskaJeff likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
MK-3 650 Versys & X300 / Oil Change / Owners Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Took my X300 out this morning for a ride and to warm the oil for an oil/filter change.
All was good until I got the books out from under the seat. The Kawasaki dealer provided me with an Owners Manual and a separate Warranty Handbook, which also includes a maintenance schedule and pages with marked boxes to enter maintenance events.

Something did not seem right. On cross-referencing I found that the warranty handbook required engine oil changes at 1,000km. 6,000km, 12,000km 18,000km etc, with a filter change at each 2nd event.
However, the owners manual requires engine oil changes at 1,000km, 12,000km, 24,000km etc, with a filter change at each event.

I am guessing that the owners manual is correct.
My 650 2015 Versys page 99 of the owners manual states ,1,000km, 12,000km, 24,000km etc, with a filter change at each event and page 95 of the X300 the same. Both PDF versions here.
Jackrider 26 likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
First oil drop was at 1000km after which every 4000km with filter change and after 9 yrs still as brand new. Remember this kawa engine runs hot, so use the correct lub.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:02 PM

Sure are a lot of VX300 owners in here

I'd stick with the owner's manual.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I agree with Onewizard.
My Owners Manual, and I checked my Service manual as well, agree with each other.
The Warranty/Maintenance schedule manual conflicts with them. Why I do not know, but it would appear that some are changing oil more often than is necessary. Sure - no harm done though.

Below is an excerpt from my VX300 Service manual (identical to my Owners Manual). 12,000km = 7,456 miles.
And not 7.6 thousand miles either! Jeez.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
FWIW - I mentioned using a 5K mile// 8Kkm interval for oil & filter changes - WHENEVER my AZ V odometer is divisible by 5000 (ie - 15,000, 20,000, etc) it's my reminder to change, and it's at 79,045 so - SOON...; while WHENEVER my BC V odometer is divisible by 8000 (ie - 16,000, 24,000, etc) it's my reminder to change, and as it's at 63,350 kms I'll change it in the next day or so.

-
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have just received a response from Kawasaki Australia.

"The “Kawasaki Owner’s Manufacturer’s Warranty Handbook” and your “Owner’s Manual” which you would have received from your dealer when you purchased your new motorcycle, contains all the relevant information in regards to your warranty, servicing expectations and general requirements therefore we suggest that you please read these manuals carefully and familiarise yourself with the information contained within.

The Warranty Handbook provides a generic ‘maintenance record’ section. In this part of the handbook there is space to note when and who has serviced the motorcycle but this is not indicative of when each individual component must be either inspected and/or replaced or the period of. This specific information can be found in the service manual or owner’s manual for your specific motorcycle.

The periodic maintenance schedule within the owner’s manual is of course the minimum requirement to ensure your motorcycle operates in a fashion as designed by the factory however it also states that “Service more frequently when operating in sever conditions: dusty, wet, muddy, high speed, or frequent start/stopping”. Your authorised Kawasaki motorcycle dealer may offer you alternative advice based on their own experiences and knowledge with this model of motorcycle taking into consideration such elements as the particular conditions the unit is being operated under etc. and therefore they are the best people to discuss this with."

A long way of saying that we threw in a book with incorrect information to confuse you, but the correct recommendation is 1, 12,000, 24,000km etc.

At the same time, I also had another go at asking them about the regearing issue that kills the gear indicator because of Kawasaki's stupid choice to use the rear wheel rotation sensor as a speedometer input and got back:

"Kawasaki Motors sincerely hopes that you understand our legal position when we advise you that due to Australian federal and state legislation, as the manufacturer’s representative and authorised importer and distributor of Kawasaki motorcycles to Australia, our company is legally constrained to comment or suggest any modification away from standard as per the manufacturers original design and factory shipment unless offered by Kawasaki Motors as an authorised Kawasaki factory alternative. Kawasaki Motors does not currently offer any modifications such as you are requesting information on therefore we are unable to provide you with any “official information”."

A highly predictable political response I guess. A fob off. "Nothing to see here - move along."
onewizard and miczat like this.

post #10 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
I agree with Onewizard.
My Owners Manual, and I checked my Service manual as well, agree with each other.
The Warranty/Maintenance schedule manual conflicts with them. Why I do not know, but it would appear that some are changing oil more often than is necessary. Sure - no harm done though.

Below is an excerpt from my VX300 Service manual (identical to my Owners Manual). 12,000km = 7,456 miles.
And not 7.6 thousand miles either! Jeez.

Valve checks every 7500mi, ouch, that is a maintenance intensive little bike. The 650 and 1k call for valve checks at 15k and you can probably put that off a bit. The oil change interval on the 650 is 7500mi (they also recommend changing coolant and spark plugs at that interval, but that is overkill you can easily double that with no ill effect).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in