Fuel gauge blinking - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Brockie
  • 2 Post By Sil3ns
  • 1 Post By Brockie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Fuel gauge blinking

Went for a ride yesterday (perfect day here in East TN) and as soon as I turned the key on the fuel gauge started blinking on and off at about 1 Hrtz. This continued for about 10 minutes or so then it stayed on and showed one bar (the tank was full) then slowly started adding bars (about one per minute) until it showed full. Then it started the process all over again. Anyone had something like this happen to them? How did you fix it? Bad sending unit maybe? Thought I'd ask around before I took it to the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Doesn't happen on mine - shows full right away. Sounds like it needs to be looked at.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:31 PM

Garage
Definitely a fault that will probably end up being related to the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank. The only simple fix is to put a couple of tanks of injector cleaner through the system, hoping that the issue is float related and that the cleaner may remove tarnish, if that is what is causing the problem.
This method has fixed many faulty fuel level problems.
Fastoman likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3ns View Post
Went for a ride yesterday (perfect day here in East TN) and as soon as I turned the key on the fuel gauge started blinking on and off at about 1 Hrtz. This continued for about 10 minutes or so then it stayed on and showed one bar (the tank was full) then slowly started adding bars (about one per minute) until it showed full. Then it started the process all over again. Anyone had something like this happen to them? How did you fix it? Bad sending unit maybe? Thought I'd ask around before I took it to the dealer.
A couple things, is the bike stored outside, any rain riding lately. Is it under warranty? My first thought is a possible bad / corroded ground . Since we don't have a pdf of the X300 service manual, hard to know for sure , however I would try unplugging the fuel pump and back in. I very much doubt anything to do with the float.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, it's still under warranty, but I like going to the dealership about as much as I like going to the dentist. I'll try plugging and unplugging and the fuel cleaner thing before I take her to the dealer. I did ride through a cloud burst on the ride before this started happening, so there may be something to the ground issue. However, everything else is working perfectly. Oh well, I'll get it fixed one way or the other. I'll update then. Thanks guys.
onewizard and Fastoman like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
When mine gets down to one or two bars, sometimes when I start it, the gauge will flash, then after a mile or two, it's back up to one or two bars. Never had it happen on a full tank though. To be honest, I don't use the fuel gauge, I set the trip every time I get gas, and know that I get about 200 miles before it starts flashing, or 250 miles until I'm empty. I just always fill up around the 200 mile mark. I'm old school, and motorcycles didn't always have fuel gauges.

Edit...just noticed this was in the 300 forum, so my mileages may be different than what the 300 gets.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Looks like intermittent signal. anyway keep us informed. Thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 03:04 AM

Garage
This is all I could find in the Service Manual. Not much help at all, really.

Sort of like - "Take your bike to your local dealer and they will keep on replacing things until the fault rectifies".

Sil3ns likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in