What tools do you carry? Lets see them? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

8Likes
  • 2 Post By Fastoman
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Kyle E
  • 1 Post By Devilsfan
  • 1 Post By mrvwbug
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Unread 09-30-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
What tools do you carry? Lets see them?

I hope this is not a duplicate, I ran a search for tools.

I plan to ride my VX300 off road a fair amount. I would like to be prepared. I would love to know what tools you guys carry with you and why? I would like to be able to repair a flat at a minimum. Are there any VX300 Specific tools someone might not think about?

Thank you for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-01-2018, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Depend on how far I ride , i carry a air pump, some common spanners and some spare fuse, wires and a first aid kit. if i am crossing boarders than I will carry a used chain as spare and tire kit for puncture.

Done 60K Km mostly on long rides only once i had a problem of the front fork leaking, otherwise no problem with the V.
Kyle E and Scott Zinda like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I carry the OEM tool-kit, PLUS an adjustable (crescent) wrench for the axle-nut, two 12mm wrenches (adjust the chain), and a tire-plug kit (includes a 12v compressor).

When I had a KLR (BEFORE I converted the KLR wheels to tubeless!!!) I also carried tire-irons, patching stuff, AND two spare inner-tubes [in the rear trunk in this pic].

Attached Images
File Type: jpg KLR trip 07 DAY 4:022.jpg (108.8 KB, 7 views)
Kyle E, Pekes17 and Scott Zinda like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-01-2018, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Off road I carry air pump, tire plugs, factory tool kit, leatherman, a better set of pliers and a set of vise grips. Lithium jump box that is also used to charge my phone and stuff. Some duct tape, a few extra wiring connectors and length of wire, few extra fuses. The tools for adjusting the chain (my bike is 2 12mm wenches and the axle nut socket)

Thats about it. I kinda figure if I cant get it done with minimal tools Im probably going to have to tow it home/repair place anyway. But I'm a minimal mechanic and don't see myself doing a engine teardown in a camp site, let alone my home garage.
Scott Zinda likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I found an old, faux leather folding shower/travel kit. Emptied the contents and have a case that I can fit:

fuses
small pliers
zip ties
surgical gloves
small screw driver
small Walmart tire pump
tire plugs
rubber cement
tire threader tool
shoe strings
...and anything else that will fit!

It takes up very little space.
Scott Zinda likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-01-2018, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For the most part just the OEM toolkit, but I only road on road and don't have any extra storage on the bike yet.
Scott Zinda likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-01-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I carry the OEM tool-kit, PLUS an adjustable (crescent) wrench for the axle-nut, two 12mm wrenches (adjust the chain), and a tire-plug kit (includes a 12v compressor).

When I had a KLR (BEFORE I converted the KLR wheels to tubeless!!!) I also carried tire-irons, patching stuff, AND two spare inner-tubes [in the rear trunk in this pic].
It just occurred to me I didn't know if the versys x had tubes or not. My google search tells me it does have tubes. Is this correct? I think tubeless would have been nice, but being an off roader most of my life, I am used to tubes.

I am guessing the question now is how many of you converted to tubeless? I have converted some big tires to tubeless before with mixed results. A few replies on here didn't list tubes. You did not list tubes for your Versys? Are you running the stock tires? I was considering the Shinko 804/805 and maybe a size up.

What do you think? Edit. I see you have a Versys 650 not an x300 that makes sense. Very cool bike!

Scott

I feel safer on a motocross track than a freeway, but I am working on it.

Last edited by Scott Zinda; 10-01-2018 at 05:40 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-01-2018, 07:44 PM

Garage
The X300 definitely has tubed tyres. I would not bother with a patch kit. On a trip I carry spare tubes - and in a pinch use just a 19" as you can jam the larger tube into the rear tyre to get you to a shop.
As well as the OEM toolkit I always carry zip ties, tie wire, a mini socket set, duct tape, a pump, a few spare various nuts and bolts, and even a short length of #10 fencing wire. And three tyre levers as I always struggle with only two.

Either bikes have become more reliable or I no longer ride broken down junk as I have not broken down on the side of the road for decades.
The secret, I believe, is to do your maintenance and prep at home and enjoy a trouble-free ride. I also keep my tyres good and my tyre pressures up - no matter what the terrain. I have not had a puncture on the road, or on a dirt bike- since the 1970's.
Riding across broken rock? Keep up on the pegs at a steady speed and watch your line.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-01-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
The X300 definitely has tubed tyres. I would not bother with a patch kit. On a trip I carry spare tubes - and in a pinch use just a 19" as you can jam the larger tube into the rear tyre to get you to a shop.
As well as the OEM toolkit I always carry zip ties, tie wire, a mini socket set, duct tape, a pump, a few spare various nuts and bolts, and even a short length of #10 fencing wire. And three tyre levers as I always struggle with only two.

Either bikes have become more reliable or I no longer ride broken down junk as I have not broken down on the side of the road for decades.
The secret, I believe, is to do your maintenance and prep at home and enjoy a trouble-free ride. I also keep my tyres good and my tyre pressures up - no matter what the terrain. I have not had a puncture on the road, or on a dirt bike- since the 1970's.
Riding across broken rock? Keep up on the pegs at a steady speed and watch your line.
Thanks.

I also have not had many flats that I recall. I always have strong desert tires and heavy duty tubes. I have helped others with flats but not too many myself. I have had mountain bike flats even with tubeless from sharp rocks. Sharp rocks are just part of the desert here, so they usually are part of my line! LOL I might be more careful with the Versys tires.

Scott

I feel safer on a motocross track than a freeway, but I am working on it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-01-2018, 08:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Zinda View Post
Thanks.

I also have not had many flats that I recall. I always have strong desert tires and heavy duty tubes. I have helped others with flats but not too many myself. I have had mountain bike flats even with tubeless from sharp rocks. Sharp rocks are just part of the desert here, so they usually are part of my line! LOL I might be more careful with the Versys tires.
Many people talk of dropping tyre pressures off road and it does work most of the time.
However, you do risk pinch punctures. I would rather have a more twitchy ride than run the risk of trailside repairs.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Zinda View Post
It just occurred to me I didn't know if the versys x had tubes or not. My google search tells me it does have tubes. Is this correct? I think tubeless would have been nice, but being an off roader most of my life, I am used to tubes.

I am guessing the question now is how many of you converted to tubeless? I have converted some big tires to tubeless before with mixed results. A few replies on here didn't list tubes. You did not list tubes for your Versys? Are you running the stock tires? I was considering the Shinko 804/805 and maybe a size up.

What do you think? Edit. I see you have a Versys 650 not an x300 that makes sense. Very cool bike!
I converted the wheels (similar to those on the V300s) on my '04 KLR650 to tubeless, and here is a thread I started w/ PICS to show HOW I did it:

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-tubeless.html

I was very pleased w/ the results.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 11:07 AM

What size is the rear axle nut on the Versys 300? Its pretty large and my standard socket set doesn't apply to it. Thx!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidriley916 View Post
What size is the rear axle nut on the Versys 300? Its pretty large and my standard socket set doesn't apply to it. Thx!
27 mm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in