What a week! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

What a week!

Last Saturday I traded my perfectly fine 2012 Yam Super Tenere in on a new Kaw Versys X300.
A straight trade with the X300 loaded with accessories.
I won't go into why I was thinking about getting rid of the Tenere, but all the reviews and videos of the X300 have been very positive, besides it being a smaller bike.
I was intrigued.
Here's the kicker. After the dealer goes over the bike and tells me the break-in procedure,
(recommended Max RPM's, 4000 for 500 miles) I started home 80 miles away.
I left after 3:00 and they close at 4:00.
I quickly found out, 4K RPM's is 35 MPH in 6th gear! 35!
It's pretty much all highway back to my house, 55-60 MPH posted, and mostly double yellow centerlines.
Almost half way home and realizing if I turn around now, they would be closed, I forged on home.
Nearly 3 hours later, I made it, thank GOD they put hazard lights on that bike, now I know why!
Damn, at least my Yamaha break-in was; no sustained RPM's above 4K.
Now I can only guess NOBODY goes by the MAX recommended RPM as I did.
I was NOT going to spend another mile on that bike doing that other.............420 miles!
So I typed an email to send to the dealer about my ride home and a couple other small issues I had, seeing as they were not open till Tuesday and re-evaluate this whole thing.
To shorten this story, a corporate Kawasaki rep called me, assured I could ride it over 4K, somewhat, and will give me a one year extension on the warranty. (very unusual) He also said varying the RPM is most important (I agree) but why don't they put THAT in the manual?
I also asked the dealer what it would take to just get my Tenere back, and actually came back with a number much lower than I thought they would.
While the X300 fit me rather well for a smaller bike, it wasn't as comfortable in the long haul. Kind of restricting to move around.
So decision time and I'm leaning towards..........................heck I really can't make up my mind!

Kudos to Kawasaki for stepping in so quickly and kudos to the dealer, Ultimate Cycles near Richmond VA for being quick to respond and helpful in sorting this out for me.
BTW, apparently they are 9th in the nation for Kawasaki sales! I will surely be back in the future.

Last edited by ACE50; 08-30-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:20 AM

Garage
I traded in my Africa Twin for a 300x, and the ride home was very much "what have I done?" It took several hours on back roads between Indianapolis and Lexington. However, after having the bike for a year and getting used to how it rides and runs, I will say that I'm happy with it. It's so light compared to the AT, and it has a surprising amount of pull in 6th gear, but if you're willing to wind it out, it will definitely go. I'd say I probably only used about as much power on the AT as I do on the 300x, the main difference to me was that I had a lot more on reserve with the AT, and the 300x is tapped out. But honestly I don't find myself wishing it had more, it's really just enough for me. If you can accept that, and the vibes from the smaller, higher revving engine, I think you'll like it. Also, I did some two-up riding recently with my wife, and was also happy with how it handled. Again, didn't wish for more power, just revved it out when we went up any hills.

-
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:36 AM

Oh my, riding around at 35 mph on this bike for 600 miles would be torture!
FWIW mine runs great, uses zero oil. Owner's manual wasn't with the bike so the dealer had it sent to me. Meanwhile I broke it in by mostly staying under 80% redline rpm (speeds up to 75 indicated most of the time), basically just riding it like I do now with the occasional wide open throttle up hills to seat the rings. I did avoid riding continuous constant high rpm for the first couple hundred miles. I noticed it running a lot better after 300-400 miles. First thing I did was order a 1 tooth larger countershaft sprocket and put it on around 150 miles. It drops rpm around 500 in 6th yet still keeps first gear LOW. Even with the larger 15T sprocket crawling along at 5 mph is 2,000 rpm, 3,000 rpm is only 8-9 mph.

Last edited by Milo; 08-30-2018 at 11:38 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo View Post
Oh my, riding around at 35 mph on this bike for 600 miles would be torture!
FWIW mine runs great, uses zero oil. Owner's manual wasn't with the bike so the dealer had it sent to me. Meanwhile I broke it in by mostly staying under 80% redline rpm (speeds up to 75 indicated most of the time), basically just riding it like I do now with the occasional wide open throttle up hills to seat the rings. I did avoid riding continuous constant high rpm for the first couple hundred miles. I noticed it running a lot better after 300-400 miles. First thing I did was order a 1 tooth larger countershaft sprocket and put it on around 150 miles. It drops rpm around 500 in 6th yet still keeps first gear LOW. Even with the larger 15T sprocket crawling along at 5 mph is 2,000 rpm, 3,000 rpm is only 8-9 mph.
If I keep it (haven't decided, leaning toward keeping) I too will install a larger front sprocket.
Where did you get yours?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE50 View Post
If I keep it (haven't decided, leaning toward keeping) I too will install a larger front sprocket.
Where did you get yours?
I just let the dealer order it since it was so cheap, maybe $15-20 or so? It is made by Sunstar who furnish OEM sprockets as well but it does not have the rubber dampener that's on the stock 14T. Regardless it's just as quiet and smooth and makes quite a nice improvement.
I just ordered a Seat Concepts Tall seat for mine.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:34 PM

Garage
I ordered and installed this 15 tooth from amazon.

http://a.co/d/8raDsJq

I hear that going any higher results in a check engine light and loss of the gear indicator on the dash.

-
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Here's how I "broke-in" all THREE of my V650s, on the ride home from the dealer, then I changed the oil.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

NONE of them use(d) oil or gave me ANY problems. [79K miles on the '08, 63K kms on the '09, 62K kms on the '15].
hdrider02 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Man, talk about undecided. I go back and forth on keeping the X300 or getting my Tenere back.
If the X300 was about 10 HP more, say with the 400 engine in it, I would keep her.
But then it will cost about $625 to get my Tenere back and then get the ECU re-flashed, which is what started this whole affair.
I need to decide and let the dealer know!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:19 AM

Can you really have too many bikes (keeping my wife out of the conversation)?
Shibumik likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
If you're rich, NO!
But licensing and insurance every year on multiple bikes is cash draining!
And then the more bikes you have, the less you ride any particular one.

That's not the case here, it's just deciding which one to keep. At the moment I'm thinking about taking back my Tenere.........
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
No. Think of motorcycles as golfers do golf clubs they all do different things.

Ace what about keeping the Versys for every day riding and buying your Tenere' back for longer rides? Or if you want to have only one motorcycle trade the Versys in on something in between say a VStrom 650 or 1000? There're some great deals on them especially the 1,000.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo View Post
No. Think of motorcycles as golfers do golf clubs they all do different things.

Ace what about keeping the Versys for every day riding and buying your Tenere' back for longer rides? Or if you want to have only one motorcycle trade the Versys in on something in between say a VStrom 650 or 1000? They're some great deals on them especially the 1,000.
I do have a 1996 Honda Magna, in great shape, (and customized) as my other bike.
More of a city bike cause of the short range (110 to reserve) and not as comfortable on long rides.
The Tenere is a competitor to the Vstrom 1K. (slightly better IMO)
Just need to decide.
If I keep the X300, I'd keep the Magna so I can actually have some spirited fun once in a while.
The Tenere I can live with as my only bike because of it's versatility.
But the X300, well Kawasaki did a great job engineering this bike. Looks, design and all......
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Well I've made my decision!
And talking to the dealer made it more concrete too!
Kawasaki is discontinuing the 300 engine. They also came out with a 400 Ninja (new for 2019)
and I was thinking the Versys would be near perfect with a 400 even before I called him.
In the next year or two I expect a Versys 400 coming out.

So I'm going to get my Tenere back and wait. Hell I might even just keep it as it is a great bike, just getting a little
heavy the older I get.

That's a load off my mind.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE50 View Post
Last Saturday I traded my perfectly fine 2012 Yam Super Tenere in on a new Kaw Versys X300.
A straight trade with the X300 loaded with accessories.
I won't go into why I was thinking about getting rid of the Tenere, but all the reviews and videos of the X300 have been very positive, besides it being a smaller bike.
I was intrigued.
Here's the kicker. After the dealer goes over the bike and tells me the break-in procedure,
(recommended Max RPM's, 4000 for 500 miles) I started home 80 miles away.
I left after 3:00 and they close at 4:00.
I quickly found out, 4K RPM's is 35 MPH in 6th gear! 35!
It's pretty much all highway back to my house, 55-60 MPH posted, and mostly double yellow centerlines.
Almost half way home and realizing if I turn around now, they would be closed, I forged on home.
Nearly 3 hours later, I made it, thank GOD they put hazard lights on that bike, now I know why!
Damn, at least my Yamaha break-in was; no sustained RPM's above 4K.
Now I can only guess NOBODY goes by the MAX recommended RPM as I did.
I was NOT going to spend another mile on that bike doing that other.............420 miles!
So I typed an email to send to the dealer about my ride home and a couple other small issues I had, seeing as they were not open till Tuesday and re-evaluate this whole thing.
To shorten this story, a corporate Kawasaki rep called me, assured I could ride it over 4K, somewhat, and will give me a one year extension on the warranty. (very unusual) He also said varying the RPM is most important (I agree) but why don't they put THAT in the manual?
I also asked the dealer what it would take to just get my Tenere back, and actually came back with a number much lower than I thought they would.
While the X300 fit me rather well for a smaller bike, it wasn't as comfortable in the long haul. Kind of restricting to move around.
So decision time and I'm leaning towards..........................heck I really can't make up my mind!

Kudos to Kawasaki for stepping in so quickly and kudos to the dealer, Ultimate Cycles near Richmond VA for being quick to respond and helpful in sorting this out for me.
BTW, apparently they are 9th in the nation for Kawasaki sales! I will surely be back in the future.
I traded my Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX for a Versys 650, loving the reduced weight and better handling. I have a Chinese (CSC/Zongshen) RX3 in the garage that I did a 4000 mile round trip on too Newfoundland and back. I wish the Versys 300 existed when I bought that bike!

As for breakin procedures I think Ryan at F9 summed it up best (exactly how I do break in as well)

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's how I "broke-in" all THREE of my V650s, on the ride home from the dealer, then I changed the oil.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

NONE of them use(d) oil or gave me ANY problems. [79K miles on the '08, 63K kms on the '09, 62K kms on the '15].
Keep in mind the factory basically does the Motoman to your engine before it leaves the assembly line, they run it up multiple times. He's coming from the perspective of built from scratch race engines that don't have that done at a factory.

My Moto Guzzi manual had it spot on, go find a twisty mountain road and run through the RPM range loading and unloading the engine, essentially what Motoman is doing! It's also essential to get that nasty oil out ASAP. I don't wait till the 600 mile recommendation for that, I changed it right after I got home on the V (200 miles though from dealer).

I've run in 7 bikes now and none of them were oil burner's. I basically did what Fortnine does in the video above. Load and unload the rings, but not to the extreme that Motoman does it.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
My Moto Guzzi manual had it spot on, go find a twisty mountain road and run through the RPM range loading and unloading the engine, essentially what Motoman is doing! It's also essential to get that nasty oil out ASAP. I don't wait till the 600 mile recommendation for that, I changed it right after I got home on the V (200 miles though from dealer).

I've run in 7 bikes now and none of them were oil burner's. I basically did what Fortnine does in the video above.
Load and unload the rings, but not to the extreme that Motoman does it.
I agree, and I too change the oil a little sooner than they recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode