Diy saddlebag supports - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

12Likes
  • 5 Post By schnutzy
  • 3 Post By schnutzy
  • 1 Post By schnutzy
  • 2 Post By schnutzy
  • 1 Post By schnutzy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Diy saddlebag supports

I've been slowly making saddlebag supports for a bit now. What could have probably been done in 2-3 hours takes a lot longer when you can only work on it later at night after your toddler goes to bed.

I used 1/8" thick flat stock, I want to say 1 1/4" wide. Plasti-dip for paint, 5/16 button head bolts, nyloc nuts, some washers and two 1" spacers. The current spacers are plastic, but those will be changed out for aluminum ones that are maybe a quarter inch longer.

I used a hacksaw to cut the lengths(two 10" pieces, four 6" ones), an 18v drill for hole duty(started out using my normal general purpose bits, got through 3 of the 12 holes in way to long and went out and bought a proper step bit for the rest) and a bastard file to take care of burs and sharp edges.

If I were to do it again, I'd not use 5/16 hardware. It's overkill. Technically you could also save some time drilling holes, and the selection of spacers(at least at home depot) was better for smaller diameter bolts. I would also do something to round all the square edges over. I'll probably still do that at some point.

A good, sturdy table would have been nice too. Maybe I'll just ask my wife to sit on my folding one in the future to help keep it from being a little wobbly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SteveJ, Kyle E, Devilsfan and 2 others like this.

-We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. ~ Charles Kingsley

2018 Kawasaki Versys 300x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 06:00 PM

That's a nice bit of work - and you have the satisfaction of creating something that looks like it will work well and didn't cost you a bundle. How cool is that?!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:40 PM

File for a patent!!! Nicely done!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:56 AM

I commend you on your fabbing!
I always try to make something before I just buy something. Heck of a lot more satisfaction that way!
I suppose these are for soft-bags you throw on?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE50 View Post
I commend you on your fabbing!
I always try to make something before I just buy something. Heck of a lot more satisfaction that way!
I suppose these are for soft-bags you throw on?
That is what they are for, yeah. Basically to keep bags from folding under into the rear when, and keep them from drooping onto the exhaust. It also gives better points to secure the bags in place instead of the passenger pegs and license plate area of the fender. They are actually much more solid than I would have initially guessed, so that's an added bonus

-We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. ~ Charles Kingsley

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I borrowed a bench grinder from my dad, and will use it to round off the pointy corners of the rack. I've also got a set of saddlebags on the way, which will hopefully be here tomorrow.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:55 PM

good work. i use saddlebags as well. I'll have to see if i have the same attachment points on my 2008.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
So I borrowed a bench grinder from my dad, and will use it to round off the pointy corners of the rack. I've also got a set of saddlebags on the way, which will hopefully be here tomorrow.

Oh yes. Rounding off the pointy corners is a very good idea. I wonder how I know.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Oh yes. Rounding off the pointy corners is a very good idea. I wonder how I know.
Funny you should mention that

I stripped the plasti-dip, and did some work on the bench grinder this afternoon.

Currently the first coat of new plasti-dip is drying on them

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Touch up is complete, now it just has to finish drying and go back onto the bike

Devilsfan likes this.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Much better

Devilsfan and ulito23 like this.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I need to sort out a better removable strap set up holding the bags to the supports, but over all, it should work well.

Devilsfan likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode