Off-Road - I'm just glad I made it out! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

10Likes
  • 4 Post By arbuk7t
  • 3 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By arbuk7t
  • 1 Post By whisperquiet
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Off-Road - I'm just glad I made it out!

"Light off-road use", I said to my buddy before we took that turn. I'm just glad I made it out! Told the wife that I'd be home around 4 pm. I was only 6 hours late... It took hours to travel just a couple of miles. The Versys-X kept up with the KLR through the mud, rocks, and creeks, but I won't be trying it again! I lost count of how many times we laid them down...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 12:35 AM

Garage
These bikes are not dirt bikes. Sure, a semi-professional rider can make it look easy with suitable tyres and the confidence to keep his speed up.
In such conditions tyres and momentum are paramount. "light offroad use". Yeah, right.
No adventure tourer is really intended for mud or deep sand despite what some Youtube videos might show. Stick to the dry and firm tracks. A patch of mud is fine, or a patch of sand - but not the bottom of a gully that turns into a creek when it rains.
DaveC, Duffy and crosshairs like this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 05:09 AM

Garage
Where is that jungle? You need some Dunlop 606s to even think about those trails. I wouldn't even do them on KLX250S with the 50/50 tires.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
A patch of mud is fine, or a patch of sand - but not the bottom of a gully that turns into a creek when it rains.
We thought patches of mud was all there would be. It began to get worse, but thinking that we didn't have much further to go, we didn't want to turn back and go through what we had already struggled through. Problem is, it kept getting worse! It was exhausting! My friend's GPS said that it was a county road. Turns out, there was no road at all in most places!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 06:54 AM

Garage
Paper roads. Someone once thought a road there would be a good idea, but nobody ever got around to building it. Quite an adventure.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 07:31 AM

The GPS may have meant 3rd world country road.
At least you now know what you can get thru if you can't avoid and should have plenty of stories to go with the beer.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It felt like I was in a 6 hour accident.
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:30 PM

The better solution for roads you were on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yauzbo23.psj.jpg (50.6 KB, 25 views)
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperquiet View Post
I agree, except the stock 50/50 tires on it won't cut it in that muck..

Need something like these mud and sand tires. This KLX250 is almost unstopable with these now!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbuk7t View Post
It felt like I was in a 6 hour accident.
GOOD description!

I was planned to ride an enduro in QC (MANY years back) on my TT500, but on the way to "Grey Rocks" where it was to start, it was raining enough that I "bailed", offering my services to the organizers in any way they could use me. I ended up towing riders out of mud-holes, then back to pavement - thank God for 500cc four-stroke TORQUE...!
Later I learned that there was STILL at least ONE expert class bike in a mud-hole on the FIRST leg, and it was NOT removed till about two weeks later when a 4x4 could get in, to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperquiet View Post
I THINK the "...better solution for roads you were on..." would be at home in the garage, feet up on a milk-crate, "tunes" in the background, a chilled 'adult-beverage' in the hand....

whisperquiet likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 04:41 PM

Garage
At least you can skip going to the gym for a week or so. Looks like you got a good work-out already in....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:15 PM

Garage
arbuk7t, I salute you Sir. You and your friend will be telling and retelling that story till the end of your days.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3ns View Post
arbuk7t, I salute you Sir. You and your friend will be telling and retelling that story till the end of your days.
Thanks, but I hope that is the only story to tell. I went golfing a couple of days ago, and when I saw a little mud and standing water by a cart path, I had a horrific flashback.

Here's some icing on the cake that I forgot to mention. About half way through, my boot began to fall apart! So, for at least the last couple of hours in the mud, water, and rocks it was my sock foot that got to feel it. Great times!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:52 AM

Come on now. Fess up. That's a boot you caught when you went fishing.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbuk7t View Post
Thanks, but I hope that is the only story to tell. I went golfing a couple of days ago, and when I saw a little mud and standing water by a cart path, I had a horrific flashback.

Here's some icing on the cake that I forgot to mention. About half way through, my boot began to fall apart! So, for at least the last couple of hours in the mud, water, and rocks it was my sock foot that got to feel it. Great times!

uphill both ways...in the snow....and we were damned happy!!!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 05:40 AM

Sounds like you had a great time... sorry a horrible time. I have been in similar places with my bone stock Versys-X... It was quite horrible, but the bike got through it. With decent off road tires, this bike isn't half bad at offroading.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I guess it could have been a good time if it had been on purpose. And if I had different tires. And if I didn't care about scratching-up the bike. And if we knew how much longer we had to go when it was getting dark. And...
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:19 AM

How badly did you scratch the bike?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead.vn View Post
...With decent off road tires, this bike isn't half bad at offroading.
Back in the '60s, we rode whatever we had, WHEREVER we wanted to go....

I rode my '62 Triumphs (Thunderbird and T120 Bonneville), all over the place on 'whatever' tires were on it (NEVER had knobbies...), and that included trails.

Then in about '75 was I visiting my brother, and took his Honda 500 4 cylinder for a ride (which INCLUDED riding UP a ski-hill in the summer...).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-21-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode