Ricochet Skid Plate and Loss of Engine Shroud - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Ricochet Skid Plate and Loss of Engine Shroud

This is my first motorcycle so I am little hesitant to lose the engine shrouds for the skid plate. I believe I read there is some wiring and a sensor that will become exposed? I assume this is worth it for protecting the exhaust?

Also, given the shrouds are plastic, would it be possible to modify them to fit?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
From what I've seen of install information for the ricochet and looking at my own bike, I think they use the same mounts to secure the skid plate as the original plastic shrouds mount to, so I don't know how much of an option mounting both would be. Speculation based on observation, not experience, so take as you will. If it were my bike, I'd choose the skidplate over the shrouds any day, they are plastic and mostly for looks in my opinion.

-
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure about the mounting points, but if you look at how thin the T-rex skid plate is in order to fit with the plastic shrouds, you are giving up a lot of protection imo, though I agree it is aesthetically more fitting.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1200_.jpg

I would like to get the Ricochet skid plate, and just put the plastics in storage. Maybe get something like the r&g engine case covers. If you are not planning on doing heavy offroading, you might not really need the beefy skid plate.

Pet Rides

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
danwray, Seems you are mostly right. Looking at the pics, it seems the skid plate might only use 2/3 of the mounts. I am going to get the Ricochet, as I don't think those plastic shrouds would do much in a slide. I can waterproof the sensor wire if I am worried about it.

Last edited by Northern_Rider; 08-14-2018 at 12:11 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Petrides View Post
Not sure about the mounting points, but if you look at how thin the T-rex skid plate is in order to fit with the plastic shrouds, you are giving up a lot of protection imo, though I agree it is aesthetically more fitting.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1200_.jpg

I would like to get the Ricochet skid plate, and just put the plastics in storage. Maybe get something like the r&g engine case covers. If you are not planning on doing heavy offroading, you might not really need the beefy skid plate.
Thanks for making the decision even harder! I've given this a lot of thought, and I am going to go with the Ricochet. I don't plan on doing any heavy off-roading, but it's for the unplanned I want to be protected against. I think I am more likely to accidentally bottom out than slide/crash, at least I hope so!

Thanks for the engine cover idea.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:57 AM

Garage
There is another thread (Ricochet) where I mentioned you would have to cut about one inch from the bottom of the plastic to re-use them. I did not do this, imo, they look goofy.

Did some off-road , creek crossings and banged the skid plate very hard about six times. IMO, the pipes and converter would have been severely damaged if I did not have the Ricochet skid plate.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7,700+ miles, 90% hard surface riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode