Givi engine guard install - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By capost1947

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Givi engine guard install

I recently purchased a Versys X. Also have purchased the Givi engine guard. It does not look that difficult to install but I am not sure about removing the upper motor mount bolt and replacing it with the longer provided by Givi. Do I need to support the engine. I am concerned about the engine dropping down. Comments and suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 01:06 PM

Garage
edit: I deleted my advice as I think the Givi may mount differently than the T-Rex I installed on my bike. I wish there was a way to delete my post, but it looks like I can only edit it.

Last edited by CheesyRider; 08-09-2018 at 01:13 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:38 PM

Garage
It's been a while since I installed my Givi bars, but I believe that I supported the motor with a stack of lumber. The motor won't fall out when you remove that upper motor mount, but it will drop down a bit, so it needs to be supported. The little 296cc motor in these things is really not very heavy. The most aggravating part of the install for me, was torquing that upper motor mount bolt without spinning the two brackets. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get to that step.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Givi chassis guard install.

Thanks for the info. I pulled the mounting bolt yesterday. I just decided that as light as this small motor is it was not going drop very far and as you confirmed, it did not. I lifted it using a bottle jack needing very little force to align it for the longer supplied bolt. There was a thread recently that showed a chart with torque values between 32 and 37 lb./ft. I torqued mine to 33 and felt it seemed pretty tight. Do you have any thoughts or knowledge of what the recommended torque value is?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 01:47 AM

Garage
capost1947, your torque numbers sound right. During my research, I found that 34 lb/ft was the required spec so that's the number I used.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Torque Advice

Sil3ns,

Thanks again. I am good to go. I will wave if I see you on the BR Parkway.
Sil3ns likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode