valve check - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
valve check

I see only one sticky on checking valves at the very short 7,500 miles -has anyone else put enough miles to check theirs and how were they

Deep in Cajun Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
I see only one sticky on checking valves at the very short 7,500 miles -has anyone else put enough miles to check theirs and how were they
There are a lot of threads on this site about this subject. Did my valves over the winter with I think somewhere around 23K km/18K miles. Most valves were within specification but on the tight end of the range. A few were slightly over. This seems typical given the other posts I have seen on this site. I ended up buying a few new shims and shifting the others around to put them all on the looser end of the range. It is relatively easy to do if you have some basic mechanical aptitude and understanding and a copy of the service manual you can download. The service manual takes you through the process step by step. Measure everything twice!

Be sure to write down all your measurements as you do them and for each cylinder and valve. Also package the removed shims in sandwich bags with a tag on their thickness and which valve they came from.

Intake 1A
Intake 1B
Intake 2A
Intake 2B
Exhaust 1A
etc..

Also be sure to plug the spark plug holes with clean paper towel and clean the engine first to avoid dirt and grit entering it when you open it up.

Plan on doing this over a week as you will first need to take the bike apart and measure everything and remove the shims. You will then need to order the shims you need from the dealer and wait a few days for them to come in. Putting everything back together is the easiest part. DON"T DROP ANYTHING INTO THE OPEN ENGINE AND HAVE A MAGNET RETRIEVAL TOOL NEARBY.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-27-2018 at 12:10 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
on my 2008, valve checks are every 15k miles. first check was actually at 16k, they were in spec but a couple we're a bit tight, so i swapped them out to increase clearance. will be due again in a couple thousand miles.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
as with two wheels, keep notes of valve measurements before and after, and what size shims were used. and keep everything clean. don't drop anything in !
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I know about the 650--I posted this question in the 300X forum part to see what they are doing

Deep in Cajun Country

Last edited by motorboy; 07-27-2018 at 01:39 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...Also be sure to plug the spark plug holes with clean paper towel and clean the engine first to avoid dirt and grit entering it when you open it up....
What I do is to give a BLAST of compressed air into the spark-plug 'holes' BEFORE opening up the cams, etc, OR removing the spark-plugs. (So BASICALLY the engine is STILL SEALED when I do the BLAST before I commence 'opening' stuff).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:32 AM

I checked my X 300 at 7755 miles and found the left (cylinder #1) exhaust valve clearances .001 under the minimum and the other six valve clearances at minimum except for one intake right in the middle. I don't ride the bike hard, yet a couple were still out with most at the minimum. I am glad that they were checked and shimmed as needed + I don't plan on checking them again for another 15-20,000 miles. The first check is the most important in my way of thinking.

See my post here on the valve check:
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...heck-shim.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode