My Racks and Side Cases - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

5Likes
  • 4 Post By arbuk7t
  • 1 Post By arbuk7t

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My Racks and Side Cases

I've purchased my racks and side cases. Went with Givi racks and Apache side cases (Pelican knock-off).

The racks should be plenty strong with three points of attachment on each side plus a rear cross bar. Should provide some protection for the bike if (when?) there is a tip-over.

The cases are sold at Harbor Freight and get good reviews for durability, being waterproof, etc., and they were only $30 each! They are side-load. I would have preferred top-load, but they are a good size for the Versys-X, I think. Not too wide. I can deal with side-load for the price.

Now I just need to decide how to mount the cases to the racks. Semi-permanent bolt-on or maybe a puck system. Simple bolt-on would be easy and super cheap, but I might go with a puck system for easier removal. There is an aftermarket quick-release kit for the Givi mounts on these racks, but it’s $200!

I also purchased a third case that I could use as a top case when I want extra storage.

Last edited by arbuk7t; 05-31-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like a GREAT score!

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:43 PM

Garage
I would love to see the after photos on the bike. I just bought a Shad top box and mount but wouldn't mind a nice solution like this for the sides.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've installed the Givi racks. Now I need to figure out how I want to mount the cases. Bolt on would be easy and cheap, but I like the idea of doing some kind of easy disconnect (or at least not slow). In the photos, the Givi adapters have been removed, showing 4 holes that I could use for bolts. The bottom holes have a good spread. The top bolts would be smaller and close together. I could reuse the bottom Givi adapters to rest the case on if I made a strip with notches that would attach to the lower back side of the case. Or I could just get a puck system.

Any ideas?

Last edited by arbuk7t; 06-04-2018 at 05:57 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:21 PM

Maybe bolt a piece of U-channel onto the bottom, to fit onto the bottom of the brackets, then two thumb screws with wing nuts through the top two holes. Cheap, easily removable without any tools.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
Maybe bolt a piece of U-channel onto the bottom, to fit onto the bottom of the brackets, then two thumb screws with wing nuts through the top two holes. Cheap, easily removable without any tools.
Good idea. Wonder if I would need to line the u-channel with rubber to prevent rattle?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 05:32 AM

Garage
Looks like the caribou system I had on my '08 KLR650. You might look them up for some ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1304a.JPG (170.3 KB, 41 views)

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbuk7t View Post
Good idea. Wonder if I would need to line the u-channel with rubber to prevent rattle?
It would be easier to wrap the bottom of the rack with a piece of split tubing or tape until you get a snug fit.
Also, if you're patient and check around, you can probably pick up a pair of used Givi E21 top-load cases for ~$100 or less (I did, twice).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've installed my side cases. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I wanted the side cases to by easy-on and off. It just takes a few seconds to remove each case.

I mounted pieces of aluminum u-channel to the backs of the side cases, which rest on the bottom tubes of the Givi racks. I lined the u-channel with weather stripping to prevent rattle and abrasion and also to create a snug fit.

For the top mounts, I used the Monokey attachments that came with the Givi racks. I just flipped them to the other side of the racks, which gave me threaded attachments points. I have a couple of bolts inside the top of each case.

So, with just a screw driver, I can remove the two top bolts inside the case, then lift the case off of the rack.

I have around $250 in the racks and cases: The Givi racks were $171. The 2 Apaches cases were $30 each. I ordered the u-channel online for less than $2 each pre-cut. The packet of weather stripping was less than $5. Bolts, washers, etc. were around $10.

Diggman33 likes this.

Last edited by arbuk7t; 07-15-2018 at 06:50 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 AM

Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbuk7t View Post
I've installed my side cases. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I wanted the side cases to by easy-on and off. It just takes a few seconds to remove each case.

I mounted pieces of aluminum u-channel to the backs of the side cases, which rest on the bottom tubes of the Givi racks. I lined the u-channel with weather stripping to prevent rattle and abrasion and also to create a snug fit.

For the top mounts, I used the Monokey attachments that came with the Givi racks. I just flipped them to the other side of the racks, which gave me threaded attachments points. I have a couple of bolts inside the top of each case.

So, with just a screw driver, I can remove the two top of bolts inside the case, then lift the case off of the rack.

I have around $250 in the racks and cases: The Givi racks were $171. The 2 Apaches cases were $30 each. I ordered the u-channel online for less than $2 each pre-cut. The packet of weather stripping was less than $5. Bolts, washers, etc. were around $10.

Looks great, and priced right. Thanks for the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
apache, cases, givi, panniers, rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode