Mounting an Action Cam permanently? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

6Likes
  • 3 Post By Kyle E
  • 1 Post By Devilsfan
  • 2 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mounting an Action Cam permanently?

Last week, I had an incident where a guy harassed me while traveling down the interstate. It was a pretty dangerous situation and I really wished the little action camera I bought would record more than an hour before losing power. The unit will work with a mini-USB cable, but can't be plugged in while it's in the protective case - which is needed if it's out in the elements.

Has anyone permanently mounted an action camera on their X300 and had luck with hard-wiring the power plug? If so, which action cam did you use and did you wire directly to the battery, or did you have to pass through the relay first?

If you only use a helmet camera, which one, and how long does your battery last? How do you get longer charges for long trips?

I want to be safe. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:04 PM

I tried bike mounted one. Killed it fast from the vibes. The charging ports on them just cant take it, they rattle to death on the cameras circuit board.

Went with a helmet mount. Get a gopro 3+ silver ($100 used on amazon), specifically that one. With a 64 gig SD card it will record for 6 hours. Buy this extended battery, it will last for over 7 hours. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O3H05IS

That way you are not having to turn it on and off while out riding etc. I just turn it on when I get on and turn it off when I get home. If I go on a super long trip, I carry a spare SD card and battery.

Here is a post i made a while ago. showing the setup.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...y-headset.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:20 PM

Garage
My V-Strom has had a Mobius Actioncam for several years. https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/
They were initially designed for quadcopter use but come with a mounting plate that uses a 1/4" thread which is the industry standard photography size and so many mounting options are available.
They are infinitely adjustable by free downloadable software for resolution, recording type, clip length, etc. etc. and can be set to power up with power on and function just like a dash cam. It will either stop recording when the card is full or over record the oldest recording, depending on your settings. A 32 GB micro SD card gives about 6 hours of continuous recording, depending on resolution. I have even ridden through sudden downpours without killing it.
The only issue is wind noise and I have not been able to cure it. VERY bad rustling over 50mph.

I purchased a GoPro knockoff for my Versys X300 but have so far been unable to mount it as a dashcam. It does not seem to have an auto on with power function, nor a way to run it off bike power while in its waterproof shell. It came with no manual.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:30 AM

there are a few bike-specific cameras starting to pop up, especially on chinese market.
I saw an interesting one hardwired to the bike, with camera in front and in the back.

I'm looking for a system for the bike too.

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:35 AM

LuvNot...I've used the BikerMate Motorcycle Dash Camera on my CTX for almost 3 years and loved it! (I just sold my CTX and the camera went with it.)

I wanted a dash camera that was waterproof and that had looping recording. This one does. Not only that, you can set how you want it to record and can set a movement detection that turns the camera on if the bike is moved while parked. Mine was set to turn on when the bike was turned on and off when the bike turned off. I had a 16GB micro SD card in it and I want to say it recorded around 8 - 12 hours before looping.

You can use it like an action camera. I mainly bought it for evidence in case of any accident or near-misses. The only issue I ever had was when my bike sat for a while. The camera needs to recharge the inner battery for a few minutes.

It connects straight to the battery and it has capabilities of adding another camera for the rear or you can charge a USB connection for a phone or GPS.

Apparently, they don't make the basic model anymore but I will be ordering this one in the next day or so.

https://bullethd.com/en/cameras/78-biker-pro-plus.html

Here is a video that I downloaded from the camera of a near-miss. (Yeah, I know I should have been more pro-active...! The video clip is more for you to see how the camera works.)

LuvNot likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Innovv

I have the dual camera which records 8 hours and a 250 gig micro SD card https://www.innovv.com/
This photo was for my Venom stand , however look on the throttle side of the windshield , you will see it sticking out, mounted on the windshield bracket

This again was a photo of my pit stand, look on the right underside of the mounting plate for the Givi top case

Overview of the camera

Quick release mounting bracket

Tool drawer rubber cover, as under a heavy downpour and doing highway speeds, water will go under the seat

rear view of Innovv camera just above master cylinder

If there is interest I may start a thread and add more of my photos. The way this works is the power adapter charges a internal battery, the adapter is powered off the tail light, so when you key off the camera continues to record for 30 minutes, unless you turn it off. There is a remote switch, with a red led in the middle of the button, you can override the camera. It starts recording upon movement of the bike and only stops recording by you turning off or on the internal timer after the bike is turned off. It is 2 channels, recording simultaneously , several recording options, I bought the camera with the 250 gig micro sd card, as the Canadian distributor had a posting that the max size was smaller. I get about 8 hours recording, it is set to record over older data.
unstable_rider and LuvNot like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-29-2018 at 11:43 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 09:32 AM

What field of view angle is recommended for dash cam type applications? I see everywhere from around 90 degrees all the way out to nearly 180 degrees.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
What field of view angle is recommended for dash cam type applications? I see everywhere from around 90 degrees all the way out to nearly 180 degrees.
I'd say the wider the better...that is if you're using a dash camera for evidence purposes. If you want high-quality, action-camera type footage then you may get a better video from a shorter angle.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 11:38 AM

Garage
I loved having the mobius on my bike, but kept running into issues with the power cable not staying attached to it while I was riding. So, I bought one of these a few months ago:

https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-Mo.../dp/B075FR7R3W

Mounted the front cam by sticking the plastic 'mount' between the bottom of the headlight and the plastic bezel. Pretty solid. Mounted the rear camera on the inside of the passenger grab bar. No sound.

video is pretty basic - not super HD and the vibey nature of the Versys doesn't help much. Still, it captures the gist of what is going on.

Here is a short video - I was riding around 75-80 MPH on this stretch. The raw video is better than the youtube version but still is a little blurry.

'09 Versys
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 01:20 AM

Garage
That caddy really wanted to pass!
To ride safe keep out of their way.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
action cam, video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode