First oil change - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

First oil change

After an all day ride yesterday, I did the oil change today. The oil was surprisingly dirty. It also appeared to have been overfilled, although I coudn't tell by how much. I had no trouble removing or replacing the little plastic piece. I had no trouble getting the oil filter off with one of my clamping oil filter removal tools that always bends the filter. I also had no trouble removing the drain plug.

Everyone is right that the speced refill amount in the manual is too little oil. Here is a picture of the third quart bottle after adding just enough oil to put it in the full range. it wouldn't hurt to add a little more, but I want make sure I was able to see it in the sight glass.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

I topped off the coolant. It is imnpossible to see the level in the resovoir, so I just added until it poured over. I suppose I'll be smelling goolant for a few miles.

I tried to install a Flamm horn I had sitting in the garage. It bolted up easy enough, but I don't think the bike is set up for it. It made one beep, and I couldn't get another sound out of it. I reversed the wires; nothing. I thought for sure I blew a fuse, but when I installed the original one it worked. It's a mystery to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:43 PM

Garage
There are three different figures in the 2016 manual for the amount of oil needed. One is a bone dry engine, one is change without filter change, and third is change with filter change. I obviously change the filter every time, and I put in 2 quarts and it ends up right in the center of the two lines on the site glass.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

You must have a 650, because there was no 2016 Versys 300. The 300 uses more oil, presumably because it's revved higher.

Last edited by jspringator; 05-13-2018 at 05:04 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:12 PM

Garage
Sorry, I didn't realized this was in the 300 thread. Yeah don't listen to me as I obviously wasn't paying attention. LOL

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode