After some thought, I've decided on the OEM crash bars.
1) They're slim and easy to install
2) I'm mostly looking for a place to mount driving lights to augment the pathetic stock headlight, and they have places built in to bolt driving lights to them,
3) I don't need the greater strength of the aftermarket bars that attach to the upper engine mount because my bike is a street-only bike and the only tipovers likely are at the gas station.
4) They look good. They don't look like some industrial monstrosity on the side of my bike.
5) The price is competitive.
Photos when I get it installed...
2018 Versys-X 300 ABS. Former bikes: 1983 Honda FT500 Ascot, 1985 Honda XL-350, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650, 2003 Kawasaki Concours, 2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650.