Break in - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Glenwarkentin
  • 1 Post By Jay_Chicago

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Break in

Picked up a 2017 Versys X the other day. The owners manual states not to exceed 4,000 rpm for the first 800 miles. That’s impossible to do as at 55 mph I’m turning 6000 rpms. Should I just be riding this bike at 40mph for the first 800 miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:06 PM

Garage
Congrats on your purchase! The VX300's are fun as hell to ride. The recommended break-in period is actually 500 miles (800kms) @ 4000 rpm, and you're going to get a different take on that by nearly everyone.

Here's the most common theories/responses you'll get:
1. There are those that will tell you to ride it like you stole it, but take it in for the first maintenance/oil change at like 3-400 miles.
2. There are those that will tell you the manufacturer knows best so follow their recommended break-in to the T.
3. The final bunch will tell you to mix it up between manufacturer recommendations and periodically getting the revs up (I personally fall into this group).

The court of popular opinion is that lugging a bike is much worse than getting the revs up. I do think you probably stand a better chance of reducing future engine problems by keeping it close or on the manufacture recommended break-in, but riding this bike at a max of 4000rpm is almost impossible in my opinion.

The thing to remember is the purpose of break-in is to seat the piston rings and other mating surfaces and to remove micro scrap pieces of metal that are in your engine from the manufacturing process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:08 PM

I was thinking the same thing. That would take half my summer just breaking it in! Not to mention the awful temptation to open it up and see what it can do! After a bit of research on breakin periods for bikes, I’m just going to ride normally without long periods at the same RPM.
Brockie likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:23 AM

Garage
I get my break in done in the first week of ownership. Can't stop riding a new bike.

I do break in drills on the back roads near my house. A lot of throttle to 4000 rpms then engine brake. I start in 1st gear do the drills, then move to second gear, etc.

After the first day I will add in some riding and more drills.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:09 AM

I've always figured the dyno run the manufacturer runs before shipping it out is a pretty good break in run. Don't they usually hold it wfo on the dyno for a minute or two? I could be wrong though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vman1 View Post
I've always figured the dyno run the manufacturer runs before shipping it out is a pretty good break in run. Don't they usually hold it wfo on the dyno for a minute or two? I could be wrong though.
Yes, you're right. I worked 18+ years building and testing engines at original equipment manufacturers OEM (Ford, International Trucks, Cummins) on at the factory during the test cell. All truck and automotive engines usually run for 3-5 minutes in the dyno cells before being installed in a vehicle, going to extremely high, idle and low rpm cycles. Not sure about motorcycle engines but it should be similar.

Despite that, in this day and age, components are laser machined with highly precision if compared to couple decades ago. Component surfaces are more perfectly aligned and less prone to not seating well these days. Most OEMs recommend you to vary your rpms during break-in, so do a little of everything: highway, street, backroads, stop and go....try to avoid red lining or staying at a fixed rpm for too long and you should be fine.
Brockie likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:01 PM

Garage
What Digmann33 and Jay Chicago said. I did the "to the T" thing because I don't get to buy new stuff very often. I always warm my bike up before riding...new and now. I take it kind of easy the first 10 miles or so, warm up the tires and so forth. Enjoy!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Garage
I view the first fifty as critical, vary rpm according to manufacturer. I then change the oil/filter and ride it normally ... don't push it or baby it! About 500 miles then its to the max.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
5,000 + miles, 90% hard surface riding.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 01:29 PM

Congratulations on your new versys x300. I have one of those, and 2800km+ on the clock from new, it has been all fun. Like you, I agonised over proper break in method. Finally, I settled for the method presented by Ryan from 'Fortnine' on YouTube.

After the first service, my mechanic said to me, "you're good to go now". I hope this helps. Although my bike is still new, I have had no issues or a sign of potential one.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I just varied my speeds and revs. Didn’t redline it. But now that I’m at 1500 miles time to see what it can do. It’s a fun bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode