Can one do an oil change with the stock tool kit? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By AngryGazebo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Can one do an oil change with the stock tool kit?

I don't have access to my bike currently, but will be pulling it out of storage next week. I've never done an oil change before, and curious if the stock tool kit has the right sized wrench/socket for the drain bolt? Will I need a filter wrench too?

I can't find any info online about the tools that are under my bike's seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Rider View Post
I don't have access to my bike currently, but will be pulling it out of storage next week. I've never done an oil change before, and curious if the stock tool kit has the right sized wrench/socket for the drain bolt? Will I need a filter wrench too?

I’m interested as well, just out of principal.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got a reply on Reddit, there is a wrench for the drain bolt but not the oil filter. Also, the manual states the oil filter has to be tightened to 17lb/ft which is tighter than hand tight. Person mentioned a low profile tool is need for the filter given the proximity to the exhaust. I got a K&N filter with a bolt like protrusion on the front, so I assume the kit socket wrench will work.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:35 PM

Garage
There is a spanner for the oil drain plug but nothing to assist with filter removal/re-install. As the header pipe is in the way I very much doubt the ability to torque it anyway. ft/lbs measured by hand has been my method.
Be careful as it is possible to distort the tin casing by hand - that never happens with my V-Strom filters.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 PM

Garage
Hey, Oil change super easy. I use Wix filters, in my opinion the best out there. A normal oil filter wrench will fit. Tighten the filter 3/4 tight. Make sure you oil, not grease, the oil filter rubber seat. When replacing the oil filter plug always, always use a new metal gasket and torque to the correct spec. If you don't have a torque wrench now is the time to buy one. Shop around, fairly good ones are not that much money and will save you $$$$ in the long run. Of course use only Motorcycle oil, not automotive oil. Enjoy!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 12:18 AM

Garage
essential owners home tool kit for motorcycle ownership

Must have tools........
  • downloaded service manual
  • phillips and slot head screw drivers in common sizes
  • metric socket set
  • metric allen key set (ideally T handle type for ultimate ease of use)
  • cheap oil collection pan and old laundry detergent bottle or similar to pour old oil in for recycling
  • small, clean, funnel to add oil or coolant
  • rear pit stand with spools on swing arm to hold bike upright OR center stand

Optional but handy to have.....
  • cheap oil filter wrench unless you like making a mess by spearing old filter with a screw driver hammered through it
  • 27mm socket for rear wheel axle (not found in most socket sets)
  • 14mm allen key to remove front wheel axle (not found in most allen key sets)
  • front triple tree stand to remove front wheel for tire changes or work on forks
  • (telescoping?) breaker bar to provide extra leverage to remove rear axle and front sprocket, also very handy to remove wheel lug nuts on a car
  • 3/8 inch torque wrench
  • VOM meter for any electrical work plus high wattage soldering iron
  • vice grips, needle nose pliers, wire stripper, wire cutter, razor blade, electrical tape, solder, blue loctite, WD-40, shop towels, tool box
PJC1955 likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-26-2018 at 12:26 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 07:52 AM

Never used a torque wrench on any oil change and never had a leak. Hand tighten filter and give it a half to three quarter turn with wrench same with drain bolt. Replace crush washe every change. I used the OEM filter and Kawi Oil from dealership. This was for a Versys and a Concours.

60% of the time, it works every time
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:55 AM

Garage
The best way that I have found to get oil filters loose is to use some 80 grit or lower sandpaper to add grip. Since I have a 5in orbital sander, I just keep a few old replacements around for oil changes and they can be used many times as long as you only use them to break it loose and don't get oil on them.
PJC1955 likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:35 AM

Of course use only Motorcycle oil, not automotive oil. Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Let the firestorm begin!!!

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

You'll need a filter wrench (available at Walmart, etc).

Quote:
I got a reply on Reddit, there is a wrench for the drain bolt but not the oil filter. Also, the manual states the oil filter has to be tightened to 17lb/ft which is tighter than hand tight. Person mentioned a low profile tool is need for the filter given the proximity to the exhaust. I got a K&N filter with a bolt like protrusion on the front, so I assume the kit socket wrench will work.
ALL the oil-filters I've used (in over 148,000 miles of Versys-rides) show a diagram to tighten till contact, then a further 3/4 turn - NEVER had a leak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
...Of course use only Motorcycle oil, not automotive oil. Enjoy!
Over the above-mentioned 148,000 miles I have NEVER used motorcycle-specific oil in ANY of my Vs - I ALWAYS use Mobil1 15w-50 car oil - and have used M1 10w-30 car oil in my Bandit 1200 for quite a few miles, after chatting w/ a fellow who drag-raced HIS Bandit, using M1 5w-30. Neither of us ever had clutch-slip ("friction-modified" oil), but I WOULDN'T try the M1 10w-30 in my Versys, just-in-case!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I ended up changing the oil in my sis' garage as my BIL routinely changes his car's oil and has all of the tools. It went smooth. Now I just need to find a replacement battery bolt nut!

I'll be posting about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode