Madstad Windshield - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Madstad Windshield

I have a Madstad on my CTX, it works very well. The easy adjustability for angle and height allows variance for temperature or weather conditions by changing the air flow. Madstad makes a quality product.

I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam. My preference is to too look over the top of the w/s, ! do not need another layer of plastic to peer thru. The V300 fork angle is 65 degrees(called the neutral angle), measured with mobile phone app. Ordered the very tallest screen with a light gray tint. Why? Experience, you can always cut it shorter and the light tint reduces daylight glare in certain sunny conditions. Also, it looks better if you can keep it at the lowest position on the m/c and can block more air from below the w/s.

Simple install, looks strange being so far out in front of the fascia. Placed some tape on the w/s for future height adjustment.
I test rode it on the max bottom position at 60 degree angle, maximum 60mph, hmm , where is all this air coming from? The OEM blocks more air. OK, bottom portion was allowing a huge amount of air thru. Stopped, still at bottom position but changed the angle to the steepest (oops didn't check angle), that stopped the excessive bottom flow air. No, buffeting but still a lot of air flowing for a much bigger w/s.

Got back home, cut 1/1/2" off the top where I had adjusted the tape on the w/s. Then I got

I reversed the brackets, had to take them apart, this brought the entire w/s 1 1/2" closer to the m/c. One downside is at the lowest position there is possible contact with the green fascia. Mitigated this with three layers of clear, plastic moving tape on the fascia. The clear vinyl skin protector products would be better but I didn't have any on hand. The other downside is the angle is stuck at 60 degrees, if I raised the screen to the top position the max screen angle is 75 degrees. Of course this goes on a somewhat sliding scale as you raise it up. V300 looks better with the w/s tucked back 1 1/2".

If you reverse the brackets, use your camera or paper to 'capture' the before or you might get frustrated. Suggest reversing the allen/plastic lock nut 'pivot bolt' be reversed for easier tightening (shouldn't ever be needed).

Check your lock to lock clearance, mine was tight with Cycle Gears Trackside two point mounted hand guards (like Barkbuster).

Need to do some test rides, will report later. Weather sucks!

OK, test ride to 70+ mph. Now, it seems like there is a windshield in front of me. The angle range is 60 degrees from top to bottom and 77 degrees from the mid to top position because the bracket hits the front fairing near the mount. IMO, 60 degrees seems VERY GOOD, I would like to get to 65 at the bottom position just as a test, but that is not possible with the brackets.

(( IMO, the fork angle 65 degrees is a neutral angle, if you go higher that puts pressure on the front end, if you go lower that relieves pressure on the front end. It acts like a steering damper. Naturally the wind flow changes with the angle, the gap between the windshield and the fairing should stop any pressure on your back, pushing you forward. Higher angle creates more drag and kicks the wind stream higher.))

Notes to Madstad:
Looks and Performance improvement.
1. Drill another pivot bolt hole beside the first one. Change your ship-build setup and reverse the brackets and place the pivot bolt in this new second position. Add a note that the customer may want to try both of these positions for the pivot bolt. This moves the w/s closer to the bike, looks better and decreases the wind blast from below. Second position would allow customers to try less than a 60 degree angle at the bottom position.
Looks improvement.
2. Forget the frosted look, makes the Kawasaki green look sick. Leave it off or paint it black.

I will copy this post and email to Madstad.

final note:
W/S is working great, no clearance problems with the new holes. Very good angle adjustment
and the screen sits low with max height adjustment available if I need it in bad weather.
A redundant tip; order the screen much taller, you can always trim it.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5,000 + miles, 90% hard surface riding.

Last edited by wheels2ride; 04-23-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: final notes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 11:01 AM

Something worth trying if it fits, is the stock windshield on the Madstadd mounting brackets. This is a popular mod on v-stroms. Just an idea.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks for the suggestion. this would require drilling the OEM w/s and end up being half the size of the Madstad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vman1 View Post
Something worth trying if it fits, is the stock windshield on the Madstadd mounting brackets. This is a popular mod on v-stroms. Just an idea.
I know this works w/ earlier generation 650s, but I understand you can NOT use the OEM 'shield w/ the Madstad bracket on Gen 3s (which are probably closer to the concept on the V300s).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 05:00 PM

I just installed mine and rode it for the first time today. I'm very disappointed.

As I understand what you are saying, I could raise the windshield past the minimum heightand I won't have to redrill any holes in the windshield.

Reading between the lines, are you also saying the windshield will be much taller?

There is a picture on the adv rider forum, but he drilled new holes in the windshield.

BTW, my windshield is 20".

Last edited by jspringator; 04-22-2018 at 05:26 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:32 PM

Did the mod today. A few points for those attempting this. The "clips" at the end of the knob adjuster pop off with a small flat screwdriver. I tried to save a step by leaving the windshield attached. Go on and take it off first thing. The only hard part is getting the nut started on the piviot screw. It would have been easier with the windshield off.

I have the 20" screen. I adjusted it where the top of the screen is just below my line of sight. No contact with the fairing. Can't wait to try it tomorrow!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:11 PM

Works much better than before but it is better yet with the MRA X-Creen sport. Don't even think about the windshield now.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 01:54 PM

Got notice from Madstad that their new and improved bracket is set to ship. I'm going to wait until someone who HASN'T flipped the brackets install theirs for a trial run.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 01:53 AM

^ Thanks for the update on the brackets, just sent them an email. I've been running it unmodified for about half a year now, looking forward to trying the updated setup.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:09 PM

They sent me some brackets.... turned out to be the same as the originals. Wondering if they sent me the wrong ones - waiting to hear back from them
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 06:35 PM

They were the wrong brackets, waiting on the new new ones now

Rode without the windshield yesterday, it was a horrible mistake.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:08 PM

I think I must have been sent the wrong brackets too. Are the new ones any better? Back to the reversed brackets. I wonder if a wider windscreen would help.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The high air flow comes from the (bottom side edge of w/s and fairing gap) wide opening. The multiple angles of the front fairing make matching a w/s difficult.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode