Engine running too hot too soon? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabunga View Post
...I turned off the engine but kept the accessories on, so in theory, the fan should kick in for a bit, it DOES NOT....
The KLR's fan stays ON till it cools down after your ignition is turned OFF, but on all my V650s the fan goes OFF w/ the ignition.

MIGHT be the same on your 300....
I honestly donít know about the 300. I buddy told me to kill the engine but leave the accessories on, so I did... and NOTHING.

Obviously itíd be ideal if the fan stayed on with the accessory power still going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR!1234 View Post
That is good you discovered this. I just got back from a ride with daughter on the back and my gauge only went as high as the 3rd bar. We even went up a step hill for about 1 1/2 miles and I was doing 70+ and the gauge never went past the 3rd bar. Like you, I love this bike too and my daughter thought it was very smooth and sat great while riding.

Hope the dealer will listen to you and get that fan to go on when needed.
Totally jealous, I'd never be able to do that without at a minimum, 4 bar which becomes 5 after 15 minutes of riding and a single traffic light
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 07:05 AM

make sure you fan works. The bike can idle for extended period of time as long as the rpm are low. If thew fan doesn't kick off, check if something is stuck between the fan and the radiator, check if the fan's fuse is not burnt. If nothing helps, take it to the dealer and show them the fan doesn't work, if the dealer refuses to fix it tell them you'll contact Kawasaki USA and complaint. You have nothing to worry about, the bike is under warranty.

216f is high, usually the fan starts working at around 210f

post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
make sure you fan works. The bike can idle for extended period of time as long as the rpm are low. If thew fan doesn't kick off, check if something is stuck between the fan and the radiator, check if the fan's fuse is not burnt. If nothing helps, take it to the dealer and show them the fan doesn't work, if the dealer refuses to fix it tell them you'll contact Kawasaki USA and complaint. You have nothing to worry about, the bike is under warranty.

216f is high, usually the fan starts working at around 210f
Thanks so much for the thoughtful input.
I checked the fuse both visually and with a multimeter. I checked the engine with the thermometer, I checked the fan to make sure it was clear of obstruction, and it spun easily with a little jab of the finger....
Now it’s at the dealer. Hopefully I’ll get her back soon. I feel like my lover has been taken away from me, lol.
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 03:25 PM

Kawabunga,

Hope you find the problem soon. I'm sure you want to make sure it is fixed before the heat starts up in the Central Valley.
Kawabunga likes this.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 11:10 AM

Garage
Kawabunga,

I noticed high temps on my Vx for the first few hundred miles, especially when riding slow (under 30 mph). I was also babying the engine while breaking it in, resulting in slower riding speeds. I was alarmed at first, but gradually it became less of an issue as more of my travel time was at higher speeds. Now, I've got just under 4k mi, and I don't see high temps as often. To me, that's just how the bike runs, it heats up when going slow. I don't worry about the temp gauge hitting 4/5 when I'm putting around at 15 mph, as long as it goes back down once I start to open er up. Now, if the gauge hit 5/5, that would be a different story...

Versys-X 300:
Engine guards
Fog lights
Hand guards
Center stand
9v outlet
Happy Trails Top-box

Previous bikes:
Kawasaki Ninja 250
Kawasaki KLR 650
Ducati Monster 696
HD Sportster 1200
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Kawabunga,

Hope you find the problem soon. I'm sure you want to make sure it is fixed before the heat starts up in the Central Valley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac23 View Post
Kawabunga,

I noticed high temps on my Vx for the first few hundred miles, especially when riding slow (under 30 mph). I was also babying the engine while breaking it in, resulting in slower riding speeds. I was alarmed at first, but gradually it became less of an issue as more of my travel time was at higher speeds. Now, I've got just under 4k mi, and I don't see high temps as often. To me, that's just how the bike runs, it heats up when going slow. I don't worry about the temp gauge hitting 4/5 when I'm putting around at 15 mph, as long as it goes back down once I start to open er up. Now, if the gauge hit 5/5, that would be a different story...
Well, I got the bike back from the dealer and the mechanic said the fan does work, I just have to have the patience of waiting longer, which I find puzzling since again, the bike gets to 5/6 bars, one bar less than the max... I told him I thought something seemed odd about that but he said don’t worry about it. It’s worrisome because it’s going to get really hot here soon. That said, the dealer has always been a good guy and has a great reputation, again, I just find it weird. It’s never an issue driving fast, but going around town to run errands under normal traffic conditions causes it to heat up.

In either case, the bike is the best purchase I’ve made in some time. She’s all farkled up.
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:09 AM

Garage
Idle the bike on the kickstand. When the temp goes higher than the mid point, the fan should be active, if not there is a problem with it and you should not be running the engine until it is resolved. Overheating the engine will permanently damage it.
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Idle the bike on the kickstand. When the temp goes higher than the mid point, the fan should be active, if not there is a problem with it and you should not be running the engine until it is resolved. Overheating the engine will permanently damage it.
How long should I idle it on the kickstand to make such a determination? How many minutes should I give it?
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 12:36 PM

Garage
I'd say as long as you have a record of having kawi look at it and saying nothing is wrong, just run it like normal and if you have any issues, you'd be covered under warranty. I also noticed on mine that it seemed to run cooler after break in, but that could also be that I just wasnt keeping an eye on the temp as much as when I first got it.
Kawabunga likes this.
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwray View Post
I'd say as long as you have a record of having kawi look at it and saying nothing is wrong, just run it like normal and if you have any issues, you'd be covered under warranty. I also noticed on mine that it seemed to run cooler after break in, but that could also be that I just wasnt keeping an eye on the temp as much as when I first got it.
Thanks for the input.

What do u consider break in? 600? 1k? Just curious. I’m at 600 right now and have varied the rev’s quite a bit.
post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:09 AM
jpd

Garage
When you sit at idle the cooling fan should be able to cycle on, cool the engine, and turn off. This will keep cycling until you start moving again. The hotter the OAT the longer the fan will run. I don't know where the switch/ control is for the fan, but if it is defective the fan may not be starting at the correct temp. If the fan is cycling on and off it could also be a bad guage or temp sending unit.
I have a gen 2 650 so only an overheat light but I can hear the fan cycle at a stop light. On my c-10 I can see the guage cycle with the fan and the thermostat cycle if I ride in a cold rain.
Kawabunga likes this.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the input.

What do u consider break in? 600? 1k? Just curious. Iím at 600 right now and have varied the revís quite a bit.
I just rode the other day and noticed that the temp stayed in the 2 to 3 bar range. However, the outside temp was only in the 60's (f) but I've ridden in similar temps before and thought the bike ran hotter. It has about 1200 miles on it now. I did ride it harder than I've ridden it before, which is why I was surprised that the temps were so low. Maybe the water pump is more effective at higher RPM. Not sure, this is all just based on anecdotal observations.
Kawabunga likes this.
post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

What do u consider break in? 600? 1k? Just curious. Iím at 600 right now and have varied the revís quite a bit.
I 'broke-in' all three of my V650s on the ride home from the dealer, then changed the oil (about 50 miles - MAX!).

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

AND none of them used oil (plus I get 50+ mpgUS on the Gen 1, 55+ on the Gen 3), w/ 148,xxx miles among the three.
Kawabunga likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 04:41 PM

At official break-in revs U get low speed, low waterflow speed but plenty of heat from the combustion and low airflow over watercooler - U are bordering logging the engine, which generates more heat as it has to pull hard and burn more fuel to keep even low speed.
Letting the engine rev freer, U get waterflow up to speed and get airflow to the cooler - and as engine doesn't have to pull that hard, it generates less heat.

Living in a metropolis, I drive mostly in stop-and-go traffic. Which lowers airflow and waterflow, thus the fan will turn on every now and then.
Can happen at a red light - or at low speed.
Doesn't matter - as long as the fan works correct, then it's just a matter of short time before temp goes down again.
How many bars ? Doesn't really matter and may very well be hard to compare between our bikes as it seems that the temp gauge isn't calibrated; each gauge sounds to give different readings.
We need absolute temp to compare.

My Ninja 250s did the same - my KLX250S too.
Just be happy that Kawi now finally has designed the fan outlet so that it DOES NOT send bloody hot air out over your right thigh !
On the KLX, I allways knew when the fan turned on, at least when it was warm enough to ride in jeans (
Kawabunga likes this.
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwray View Post
I hope it's a break in issue. Like I said, the dealer says not to worry about it since the fan does work, but my temp does reach the maximum bar level before the fan kicks and brings it down one bar at idle.

Last edited by Kawabunga; 03-23-2018 at 10:11 AM.
post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:40 AM

post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 06:24 PM

kawabunga,

I was going to suggest something along the lines that A737mech did. I was thinking maybe there is a certain kind of coolant that provides additional protection. Maybe some kind of racing or high performance coolant may give better protection. And do you know if the coolant is good to begin with? It doesn't seem like your bike should be running so hot. I was on the interstate today doing 80 mph and it stayed on 3 bars. So I hope you can find the problem or at least a fix to this. I wonder what will happen when it starts to get hot in the central valley. Good luck.
Kawabunga likes this.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A737mech View Post
Quote:
kawabunga,

I was going to suggest something along the lines that A737mech did. I was thinking maybe there is a certain kind of coolant that provides additional protection. Maybe some kind of racing or high performance coolant may give better protection. And do you know if the coolant is good to begin with? It doesn't seem like your bike should be running so hot. I was on the interstate today doing 80 mph and it stayed on 3 bars. So I hope you can find the problem or at least a fix to this. I wonder what will happen when it starts to get hot in the central valley. Good luck.
Thanks guys. The bike still runs hot (no red light) just maximum bars lit up some of the time and 5/6 bars 70% of the time. The only time the bike is somewhat normal is when I’m on the freeway, any other time is always running hot. Any traffic light, for any duration beyond a minute causes the bars to reach 5/6. It isn’t even hot here yet.

Dealer said he’s going to make inquires because the tech said the fan works fine. From my point of view, the fan works but it’s not keeping the bike at a somewhat reasonable temperature assuming 5/6 bars isn’t considered normal.

I’m so desperate I’m considering replacing the coolant entirely but I’m bummed I even have to take action after only putting on a thousand miles or so.

Last edited by Kawabunga; 04-05-2018 at 02:26 AM.
post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:47 AM

Garage
If you change the coolant try "Engine Ice" it works very well , I used to sell it when I
had a store . You can't mix it with other coolant though. I would sell it mostly to racer
and AVTers.
Kawabunga likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode