600 mile service complete - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

 4Likes
  • 3 Post By JeffR!1234
  • 1 Post By JeffR!1234
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 104
600 mile service complete

I just had my 600 mile service done, even though I only had 500 miles, and it was only $175. They changed the oil and checked everything to make sure things were tight and checked the chain. I also had them install the 15 tooth counter sprocket and install the risers as well. All together it came to about $250 for all the work. I have to say that the 15 tooth counter sprocket really makes the bike feel more relaxed. I would agree that the rpm's are about 500 fewer but it feels like it reduces the rpms more. The bike just seems much more relaxed with the 15 tooth sprocket. As with others who have had it installed none of my lights came on so all should be well. I know I have read that the 16 tooth counter sprocket with make the engine light come one and I don't really want that to happen so I will keep the 15 tooth.

I also had them install the risers and they raised the bars 1" and it makes the bike more comfortable. I tilted the bars down a bit as well and makes it more relaxing on my shoulders when I ride. So I think I am done with the mods and I am very impressed with this bike. Since I have 575 miles on my bike now I am riding it more aggressively. I had it up to 90 mph for a few seconds on the interstate and this bike has some power for only a 300cc bike. My 75 mile ride today was 1/2 45-55 mph roads and 1/2 interstate. The bike on the 45-55 roads was smoother than before the 15 tooth counter sprocket was installed but the bike is just one smooth bike. Even at 90 mph it was smooth and rock solid. I don't plan on doing this much at all but I just had to see what it was like passing cars just to see what this bike will do when I "have" to get around things for saftey reasons.

Here is what I have so far on my bike:

X-Large CalSci Windshield (this shield is rock solid and buffet free ride)
52L Top Case (this is an el-cheapo from amazon but was only $50. Beats spending $300 for a Givi , IMO)
Bar Risers (This raise the bars 1" and I have the bars tilted back a bit)
15 tooth Counter Sprocket ( makes the bike much more relaxed with fewer rpm's)
Kawasaki Ergo Seat (This seat is much better than the stock seat but still very firm)
Cushion Slip-On grips (This just slip on an feel much nicer on my hands. Stock grips are kind of thin)

The only other thing I may do are Shad sidecases which are 22L. I really only use the bike to commute 8 miles to work (each way) or just for joy rides on weekends. But so far I am very impressed with this bike. It is rock solid on the roads and very, very smooth. I am also very impressed with the power of the 300cc engine. I really wasn't expecting as much power or smoothness. I know it is a high revver but it is still very smooth, even at 90mph).
CA200, Brockie and Devilsfan like this.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
JeffR!1234 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Member
 
CA200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madison Wisconsin
Posts: 74
Garage
JeffR do you know what brand of bar risers you put on?
CA200 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 104
ca200,

I ordered these from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/ZETA-ZE53-013...isers+7%2F8%22

I wanted to get the ones that also pulled the bars back but the only place that has them are on backorder until July. But these work very good for me and I just adjusted my handlebars back to me about 1/2" so it works well. The mechanic did have to cut the wire ties on the cables to loosen them and then just taped them together after he put the risers on. Hope this helps.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
JeffR!1234 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Member
 
jeyzee69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR!1234 View Post
I just had my 600 mile service done, even though I only had 500 miles, and it was only $175. They changed the oil and checked everything to make sure things were tight and checked the chain. I also had them install the 15 tooth counter sprocket and install the risers as well. All together it came to about $250 for all the work. I have to say that the 15 tooth counter
sprocket really makes the bike feel more relaxed. I would agree that the rpm's are about 500 fewer but it feels like it reduces the rpms more. The bike just seems much more relaxed with the 15 tooth sprocket. As with others who have had it installed none of my lights came on so all should be well. I know I have read that the 16 tooth counter sprocket with make the engine light come one and I don't really want that to happen so I will keep the 15 tooth.

I also had them install the risers and they raised the bars 1" and it makes the bike more comfortable. I tilted the bars down a bit as well and makes it more relaxing on my shoulders when I ride. So I think I am done with the mods and I am very impressed with this bike. Since I have 575 miles on my bike now I am riding it more aggressively. I had it up to 90 mph for a few seconds on the interstate and this bike has some power for only a 300cc bike. My 75 mile ride today was 1/2 45-55 mph roads and 1/2 interstate. The bike on the 45-55 roads was smoother than before the 15 tooth counter sprocket was installed but the bike is just one smooth bike. Even at 90 mph it was smooth and rock solid. I don't plan on doing this much at all but I just had to see what it was like passing cars just to see what this bike will do when I "have" to get around things for saftey reasons.

Here is what I have so far on my bike:

X-Large CalSci Windshield (this shield is rock solid and buffet free ride)
52L Top Case (this is an el-cheapo from amazon but was only $50. Beats spending $300 for a Givi , IMO)
Bar Risers (This raise the bars 1" and I have the bars tilted back a bit)
15 tooth Counter Sprocket ( makes the bike much more relaxed with fewer rpm's)
Kawasaki Ergo Seat (This seat is much better than the stock seat but still very firm)
Cushion Slip-On grips (This just slip on an feel much nicer on my hands. Stock grips are kind of thin)

The only other thing I may do are Shad sidecases which are 22L. I really only use the bike to commute 8 miles to work (each way) or just for joy rides on weekends. But so far I am very impressed with this bike. It is rock solid on the roads and very, very smooth. I am also very impressed with the power of the 300cc engine. I really wasn't expecting as much power or smoothness. I know it is a high revver but it is still very smooth, even at 90mph).

A quick question. Does the engine feel sluggish with the sprocket swap, as some owners have observed?
jeyzee69 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 104
No, the engine does not feel sluggish but seems like it should be in terms of gearing. It seems this bike makes you have to shift a few times to get out of the intersection but this seems to make the bike feel much more relaxed. But I don't do dirt riding, or at least not yet, so i'm not sure how it would be in dirt. I can't see how it would hurt at all because I thought 1st was geared way to high. But I won't go back and if they could get the 16 tooth sprocket to work, without the engine light coming on, then I would put that one.
Brockie likes this.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
JeffR!1234 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northern WV
Posts: 21
Ever consider a center stand? The Kawasaki one fits right on, is fairly light, and makes chain maintenance or changing tires a breeze. I agree with you that this bike feels better with a 15 tooth sprocket. It's still pretty low basically it moves the gearing to what's stock on a Ninja 300.
Milo is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 06:06 PM
Member
 
whisperquiet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Near St. Louis, MO
Posts: 97
The SW Motech centerstand fits perfect/is easily installed, and is about $100.00 less expensive....FYI
whisperquiet is online now  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northern WV
Posts: 21
I didn't shop the net extensively but when I checked Twisted Throttle the SW Motech stand was $250 while the factory stand was $289 shipped.
https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...y-center-stand

I've not seen the SW Motech Versys stand, I did install one on my Honda 919 and it was really heavy compared to the Kawasaki stand.
Milo is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:34 PM
Member
 
whisperquiet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Near St. Louis, MO
Posts: 97
WOW, the SW Motech centerstand from Twisted Throttle cost me $164.00 shipped at the end of January. It was originally shown at around $195.00 when I bought the bike in November 2017, they had a one day deal of 15% off, and I ordered one. It was back-ordered for some time and was delivered in January. I like my SW Motech, but would go with the OEM now that the prices are real close.
whisperquiet is online now  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:23 PM
Member
 
Brockie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 381
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo View Post
I agree with you that this bike feels better with a 15 tooth sprocket. It's still pretty low basically it moves the gearing to what's stock on a Ninja 300.
Not quite. I currently have the stock Ninja final gearing on my x-300. The 14/42 gearing is higher than 15/46 and I end up with the engine fault. Reset it and it soon comes back.

Incidentally I have checked the specs thoroughly and the X-300 and Ninja 300 have identical internal gear ratios, and although Kawasaki talks about the engine being "retuned for more mid-range torque" that is not readily apparent in the specs.

First the Ninja 300 specs as posted by Kawasaki Australia:



And now the Versys-X300 specs as posted by Kawasaki Australia:



LESS torque? There are second party graphs which show minor differences - but anything could account for such small variations. Surely any noticable increase in mid range torque would result in less peak horsepower? Consequently I believe that the engines are effectively identical.
Which begs the question, if the X-300 is intended for the highway as well as the Ninja 300- why such a dramatic change in final gearing?

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
Brockie is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 06:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA, North Carolina, Raleigh
Posts: 62
Garage
Added the Zeta 1" risers, no bar back. Install had one nit, the clutch cable rubs at the neck on full right turn lock position. Tried lengthening at the transmission, helped just a little bit, its the wiring loom and the way it grabs the clutch cable, don't forsee an issue.

This 1" rise allowed my (Cycle Gear Trackside, two mount point) hand guards to be installed properly, previously it was pressing against the master brake banjo bolt.

didn't know where to post re: the Zeta risers.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5,000 + miles, 90% hard surface riding.
wheels2ride is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 16,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels2ride View Post
...didn't know where to post re: the Zeta risers.
This is as good a spot as any...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 04:17 PM
Member
 
jeyzee69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
With the 15tooth sprocket, is the bike still as torqy in first and second gears?
jeyzee69 is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Member
 
Sil3ns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 55
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyzee69 View Post
With the 15tooth sprocket, is the bike still as torqy in first and second gears?
To me it didn't lose any of the low end snap. However, you do have to ride the bike a little differently when you change to a 15 tooth front sprocket. It's almost like you have to re-learn when to shift the bike. If you're used to being in a certain gear at a certain speed, you will need to drop down a gear with the 15 tooth. You will also stay in 1st and 2nd gear longer and wind them out more. I hope that makes sense.
Sil3ns is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 10:33 AM
Member
 
jeyzee69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
You make perfect sense, and by dropping a gear, one avoids lugging the engine. Thanks so much for your clarification.
jeyzee69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome