High rev engine question - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
High rev engine question

So I am still in the research mode regarding the Versys 300x. I come from the big touring bike ie: Goldwings and now a Victory Cross country. I wanted a small commuter bike to use to and from work and go on odd solo rides as well. I thought the 300x would be a great bike for that purpose but I am told by other motorcycle dealers (none Kawasaki that is) that the high revving engine on the 300x isn't so enjoyable. I know some of you might say that this motorcycle dealer is trying to pull me away from purchasing one and eventually have me purchase something out of their stable and I thought of that as well however, I figure I should ask the question here and see what you 300x owners have to say about the engine.

As we speak I am very close to make a purchase on a gray 2017, if I am lucky enough I should be riding one by weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 06:27 PM

I bought my X-300 about 3 weeks ago and I think it is very smooth. I came from a CTX700 before this bike, and the CTX is a very low-revving bike. My longest ride so far is only about 150 miles but I didn't have problems with it and it was very smooth. The seat is very, very firm so that is what may bother you the most. I have had mine up to 80 mph for short spurts, it is still breaking in, but it was a very nice ride. It does rev high but seems pretty smooth and plenty of pep. My 600 mile service is this Saturday and I am going to have them install the 15 tooth counter sprocket and bar risers. Others on the site has said that the counter sprocket will bring down the rpms' by about 500, which should be nicer. But so far I find the X300 as very smooth and it is also a lot of fun.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Dealers don't always tell the truth to customers...you should know better as a customer. drop PM to member here who know the bike and they will provide your much need information.
aboyandhisversys and Brockie like this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 12:26 AM

Garage
If at all possible, I would suggest that you ride it before you buy it. Of course that goes for any bike, but I know that's not always going to happen. The x300 has a different character to it than any other bike that I've ridden. It has everything you'd want comfortable ergos, smooth engine, and surprising power. You just have to ride it differently than most people are used to and some will be uncomfortable with that.
aboyandhisversys and Brockie like this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 01:02 AM

Comming from large engines, You will feel that the Vx is revvy - 'cause it is !
But that dealer of another brand - what does he really know about other brands ?
As You suspect - he may very well have an ulterior motif for his "kind informations"....

But the Vx is smooth as silk - and it revs up very fast. But You cannot use it as a paint shaker ;o)
At highway speeds of up to 130 Kph (what I have had a chance to do so far), it's ust smooth; no significant vibes in either handlebars or foot pegs. No white fingers etc after an hour of driving.
Having had a 250 thumber lately, I'd say that it had more vibes - same with the older BMW F650 I had before.
Over on Advrider there is a looong Vx thread; only a coupple of inmates has issues with vibes - but they have various issues with their hands like arthritis. And they seem to agree that exchanging the rubber handles to something softer (i.e. foam rubber) solves their issues.

On seats: there are two different seats - one low and one tall. The tall one is the stock over here in Denmark, but it seems that the low one is stock in many other countries.
And yes - even the tall seat (who supposedly has more foam on top) feels quite -ehh- firm for starters. But over time it softens up a little and/or your butt hardens up ;o)
So it is actually a pretty nice seat - to my liking.
Those who complain obviously never had the KLX250S - that seat felt like a 2x4" from the local lumberyard at first ;o)
But you can buy aftermarket seat that look like the were build for the GW if You really miss it ;o)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 12:38 AM

Garage
I've put 3300 mi. on my Vx since August--mostly commuting (20 mi. round trip), and one long trip down to Big Sur from the Bay--and the high revs are definitely a thing. I've come to the conclusion that this bike, given it's size, agility, cargo capability and economy, is a superb bike for commuting short distances, but depending on how fast you like to ride, can be tedious doing long stretches the freeway. The revs don't bother me, at all, on the short freeway section of my commute, where I regularly hit 85+ mph, and are actually really enjoyable in short bursts. But when I start thinking about that road trip to the Sierra Nevada that I want to do, where there's 200 mi. of interstate between home and the campsite, I wish I had a bigger bike.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac23 View Post
I've put 3300 mi. on my Vx since August--mostly commuting (20 mi. round trip), and one long trip down to Big Sur from the Bay--and the high revs are definitely a thing. I've come to the conclusion that this bike, given it's size, agility, cargo capability and economy, is a superb bike for commuting short distances, but depending on how fast you like to ride, can be tedious doing long stretches the freeway. The revs don't bother me, at all, on the short freeway section of my commute, where I regularly hit 85+ mph, and are actually really enjoyable in short bursts. But when I start thinking about that road trip to the Sierra Nevada that I want to do, where there's 200 mi. of interstate between home and the campsite, I wish I had a bigger bike.
Yes, I really love my bike, I have just under 400 miles on her, that said, my commutes are only 10 miles or so on the freeway each way, traveling anywhere from 70-78mph, and though the bike can easily tolerate it, I donít think I could ever look forward to riding her for a 3-5hr trip. Thereís something about seeing the tach constantly dancing at 9,000rpm that makes you almost feel sorry for the engine, despite the fact that itís designed to do that all day without the shake.

I donít know, maybe Iíll get more used to it as time goes by. I still love the bike though.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 08:03 PM

Not to try and hijack this thread but I had the 15 tooth counter sprocket installed and it seems to really have the bike feel more relaxed. You may want to try it. I have got up to the mid 70's and it is a high revving bike but I usually just to 65-70 mph on the interstate. The bike is revving at 80mph but still very smooth.

Ride safe,

JeffR

52L Top Case
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 08:08 PM

Garage
Had a Ninja 300 for awhile (same engine) and did 70 mile round trip commutes on the highway at 75 mph. The engine never complained and still got 60+ mpg.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR!1234 View Post
Not to try and hijack this thread but I had the 15 tooth counter sprocket installed and it seems to really have the bike feel more relaxed. You may want to try it. I have got up to the mid 70's and it is a high revving bike but I usually just to 65-70 mph on the interstate. The bike is revving at 80mph but still very smooth.
If it makes the ride less frantic and more chill, then yeah, I think Iíll go ahead and get the 15 sprocket during my 600 mike service.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
It's my understanding the OEM sprocket is rubber dampened and the aftermarket sprockets are not (as yet). Do you feel any difference with not having the rubber dampened?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 09:41 AM

Garage
I have a 16 tooth aftermarket and it does not feel any more vibes or noise etc..
form the motor.
TexH likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 10:54 AM

Kawabunga,

The 15 tooth counter sprocket is an improvement for me. I really feel the most improvement when I'm going 65 mph and under. When I'm at 75 mph or so, it is better, but the bike still revs high but it is a bit less than the stock counter sprocket.

Ride safe,

JeffR

52L Top Case
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Kawabunga,

The 15 tooth counter sprocket is an improvement for me. I really feel the most improvement when I'm going 65 mph and under. When I'm at 75 mph or so, it is better, but the bike still revs high but it is a bit less than the stock counter sprocket.
Thanks, you just sold me.

Anything is better than the way it is now. Donít get me wrong, I love the bike, but at the same time, thereís a psychological aspect to seeing those hi revís on the tach that just irks me. Or maybe itís because Iím new. All I know is freeway isnít fun on it. Going 30-45mph around town is when it truly rocks.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 05:02 PM

My X 300 with a 15t cs turns almost exactly twice the revs at 60 mph as my Ď15 Super Tenere and it doenít bother me at all.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:25 PM

I think the 15 tooth sprocket helps the most at take off. With stock gearing you have to shift to second before getting through the crosswalk and hit 4th by the other crosswalk. I had issues with the Sunstar 15 tooth sprocket, tried the stock rubberized versys 650 15 tooth and didn't like it an ended up with a PBI brand #466-15 sprocket.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vman1 View Post
I think the 15 tooth sprocket helps the most at take off. With stock gearing you have to shift to second before getting through the crosswalk and hit 4th by the other crosswalk. I had issues with the Sunstar 15 tooth sprocket, tried the stock rubberized versys 650 15 tooth and didn't like it an ended up with a PBI brand #466-15 sprocket.
Details- what was wrong with the other sprockets

Deep in Cajun Country
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 10:58 PM

The width at the splines on the Sunstar was almost half as wide as the stocker which allowed the sprocket to wobble on the shaft. I felt as though it caused vibration, so I ordered the stock sprocket from a versys 650, it was rubber damped, but the width at the spline was the same as the Sunstar. I had a used PBI in the garage and it fit the shaft, was the same width as the sticker, so I ordered a new one. I believe it came off a klx250 that I had. It is not rubber damped, but fit right and I don't feel any vibration. I am surprised the aftermarket hasn't kicked off for this bike more. I wish Kawasaki gave gearing options.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 03:31 PM

I think I have the Sunstar and I haven't noticed any vibration yet. I think with the high revs, which I don't mind too much, it would be cool to have a 7th gear or if they would have geared the 6th gear more for interstate. But the bike is very smooth though.

Ride safe,

JeffR

52L Top Case
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 03:44 PM

I have a Sunstar 15T CS on my X 300.....runs smooth and I just checked after re-reading this thread---found it to be tight on the CS splines. I have used PBI sprockets in the past and have found them to be a superior quality item/better than the Sunstar I currently have installed. I may have to order one!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode