Kenda Big Block Paver rear tire change - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

8Likes
  • 4 Post By CA200
  • 1 Post By whisperquiet
  • 1 Post By whisperquiet
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Kenda Big Block Paver rear tire change

My first rear tire change observations (and suggestions) on my X 300.

My stock rear tire on the X 300 was down to the wear bands today at 3021 miles. i decided to install one of the brand new Kenda Big Block Paver tires in size 130/80-17.
It turned out to be one of the most difficult tires I have ever mounted.

I have a NoMar Cycle Hill manual tire changer and have changed several hundred tires in my 47 years of riding. The OEM tire was easily dismounted/discarded. My garage was about 50 degrees, but I am sure the new Big Block Paver would have been an easier mount if it was warmer. None the less, it is a very stiff tire and very difficult to keep in the drop center of the rim. I used four Motion Pro bead buddies to keep the tire bead down and to keep it from creeping out of the rim. It was finally mounted, air upped, balanced, and is shown below on the bike.

I found it hard to use the tire tools on the sprocket side (I normally locate the wheel disc side down in the NoMar) and eventually removed the sprocket in order to insert the tire tools due to the sprocket being offset quite a bit outward from the rim. The next tire I mount will be with the disc up to see if it is any easier.

Plus, I found the rear wheel install in the swingarm to be harder than it should be due to a couple of obstacles.

The first is that the outside wheel spacers will fall out of the wheel bearing seals because they are such a loose fit-----never had this problem with all of my KLRs over the years. I will slather them with grease the next time.

The second foible is the rear caliper holder slides on the swingarm, but will not stay on the swingarm like most bikes as it is strictly tongue and groove---not T shaped like most sliding caliper holders. I ended up tying the caliper slider to the swingarm with a zip tie to keep it from falling of the swingarm----it will remain that way as it is not in the way and the only time the slider is moved is when you adjust the chain and move the the axle forward or backward.

Otherwise, the tire looks great and has deep sipes with the tire tread depth being 11/32" when mounted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0880.jpg (56.2 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0881.jpg (52.7 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by whisperquiet; 02-14-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Tire brand change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:09 PM

nice looking tire. Would the zip tie method made it easier? https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...using+zip+ties
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
nice looking tire. Would the zip tie method made it easier? https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...using+zip+ties
Agreed, used the zip tie method after hours of cursing trying to mount BT-023's in a cold garage. Slipped on in 5 minutes.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Hard to say as the tire has really stiff sidewalls.....I am sure it would have been easier to mount if it was warmer.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 05:42 PM

No doubt it would have been easier if the tire were warmer. Still the zip ties pull the tire together at the bead, which helps keep the bead in the drop zone of the rim. be sure to use big strong zip ties.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Garage
I don't worry about tire mounting , I have one of these in the garage .
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Reviving an old thread......got 10,008 miles out of a rear Kenda Big Block Paver. So, I mounted another one on a cool day—-so, it was a tough install also!!

New mounted and the old Paver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5A0CBAF3-9347-4180-BC99-81412E95567E.jpg (18.1 KB, 46 views)
kballowe likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:00 AM

Wow - only 3,000 miles on stock stock rear tire. Is your x 300 non ABS?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

I have a non-abs bike and ride a lot on rough tar and chip secondary roads. Plus, I weigh about 225 lbs ready to ride. The front OEM tire went about 10000 miles.
Pekes17 likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:56 PM

There's a solution to mounting those cold tires.

Make half a cardboard box - big enough and deep enough to fit the tire. Put the tire on a couple three little 2x4 blocks and turn the box over on top. Slide a shop light (with an incandescent bulb) underneath, and then put a couple of blankets on top. A meat thermometer is a plus. Bake at 110 for at least an hour.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:54 AM

I replaced the stock tyres with Mitas E-07’s in the closest sizes available. They work great off road when pressure is reduced to around 10psi they cope well with mud & softer surfaces. Should get good mileage too. They are also stiff tyres. I need to pull them again as I now have a tubeless conversion kit to fit to the rims.

Will update with that result when done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4543F872-E2EF-43D4-A6D5-4F2D3FD0CA3E_1552557251714.jpg (21.2 KB, 9 views)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
There's a solution to mounting those cold tires.

Make half a cardboard box - big enough and deep enough to fit the tire. Put the tire on a couple three little 2x4 blocks and turn the box over on top. Slide a shop light (with an incandescent bulb) underneath, and then put a couple of blankets on top. A meat thermometer is a plus. Bake at 110 for at least an hour.

GREAT SOLUTION for warming tires when it's chilly out!

kballowe and jaaklucas like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
GREAT SOLUTION for warming tires when it's chilly out!

It works !

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Tire baking........great idea. Normally, I try to time the install dates for my tires (on now three bikes) to spring and fall when they are laid in the sun on the driveway before install with my NoMar Cycle Hill changer. Not too hot/not too cold. Warm tires, technique, and lube = easier tire installs. BUT, the Shinko Big Block Pavers are a more difficult install than most due to very stiff sidewalls......and I have installed a lot of tires in the last 48 years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode