Installed my X-Large CalSci Windshield - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

7Likes
  • 3 Post By JeffR!1234
  • 1 Post By MarkAnthony
  • 1 Post By MarkAnthony
  • 1 Post By JeffR!1234
  • 1 Post By CA200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Installed my X-Large CalSci Windshield & Top Case

Hi,

I just installed my X-Large CalSci windshield and took it for a very short ride and boy is it nice. I heard no wind at all and it works great. This X-Large is 9" taller than the stock screen (I matched the screw holes) and went on in maybe 10 mins. I will take a pic to show where my eyes are in relation to the top of the screen but I measured my eyes at 32" from the seat. So if you are curious just measure 32" from the seat and see where your eyes would measure. I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam and I have always sat kind of high in the saddle and this is the first time I have bought the tallest screen and it fit perfect...for me. I ordered it on Monday and it came in today (Thursday) so it was very quick. It is seems very sturdy too as it didn't bend or flex with the short ride I did.

I will ride to work tomorrow on the interstate and will update this thread with how it does on the interstate. But all I heard was the bike and no wind and the bike sounds really cool like this. I also only wore my 1/2 helmet with fighter pilot visor and it was very quiet.

CalSci & Top Case.jpg
CA200, Skypilot 69 and LuvNot like this.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike

Last edited by JeffR!1234; 02-10-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 12:48 AM

I am really interested to see it and to know which Versys you have 1000 or 650 and which year. Does it vibrate like crazy at >60mph? Thanks for posting. I was looking up CalSci tonight. Do you have hand guards? and if you do can you turn your steering all the way left and right or did you get reduced steering capability. I have the 2017 650LT. Thanks, Jeff. Mark
JeffR!1234 likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Mark,

I have the X-300 and it does not vibrate at all. I just rode to work this morning on the interstate doing speeds of 55-60 (still in the break in phase) and it is very smooth. I wore my 1/2 helmet and all I heard was the engine. I don't have handguards or anything since the windshield is my first mod since I just brought the bike home on wednesday. But the X-Large Windshield is better than I was expecting. The mirrors do not hit the windshield when I turn the the bars as far as I can. It really works great.

Ride safe,

JeffR

52L Top Case
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 12:57 AM

Thanks Jeff. Will call CalSci and see what they have for the 650LT with the guards. Must be pretty thick if it held up at high speeds. Thanks.
JeffR!1234 likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Mark,

So far it has held up great and there is no flex whatsoever. I will 'recheck' the screws and re-tighten them just to see if anything happened but it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for the first couple of rides to have to give the screws a small twist of the screwdriver. The X-Large Screen goes up to about 1-2" below my eyes and the wind is deflected over my head by a few inches. So this screen should be good enough to keep the wind blast out of my wifes helmet as well when she rides on the back. But since you just live 15 miles from where I live you should get your screen in just a few days. I ordered on Monday and it was on at my door on Thursday.

Ride safe,

JeffR

52L Top Case
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

CalSci & Top Case.jpg

First time I tried to attach a pic. I hope it works. I have my CalSci Windshiel and top case installed on my bike.
CA200 likes this.

Ride safe,

JeffR

52L Top Case
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Just to give a small comment about the screen. I really like this screen. It fits me perfectly and there is no buffeting at all and very quiet. It is exactly what I was hoping for. Now if my new Kaw High seat is just as good than I'm set to go. But the screen does not flex at all for me and I have had it up to 75 mph for short periods of time. (still in break-in mode) But a very solid screen.

Ride safe,

JeffR

52L Top Case
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 07:59 PM

Garage
Hey Jeff, I'm curious about how the screen affects your view of the road. Are you looking through the screen all the time? Or, at what distance in front of you do you look through the screen?

I'm the same height as you, and I also commute on the X300.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

ac23,

I just installed my Kaw high seat, but on my stock seat my eyes were about 1-2" over the top of the screen. I just like a nice quiet ride and as free of buffeting as possible. But I am not looking through the screen if I am looking at cars about 50 yards up but as they get closer to me then I am looking through the screen. For some reason I seem to sit higher in the saddle than most people for some reason. I know when I used to scuba dive I would have to be fitted with a suit for someone that was 6'2" or so, in order to fit my torso. I seem to have a longer torso than most people with a 32" inseam. I have thought that the Large screen would have done just as well but like I said, I like a nice quiet ride nowadays. It works perfect for my wife when she rides and she doesn't feel any buffeting either.

But in my original post, up top, I did measure from the seat to my nose and my nose is 32" from the seat. So you may want to try this and see how high you sit. If your eyes are less than 32" you may want to think of the Large screen. With my stock seat I would not have wanted the X-Large to be any higher than what it is though. Then the top of the screen would be in my direct line of sight and I don't like screens like that. But I really like this screen and I have went through a few screens on other bikes to find what I think is the best screen. I'm surprised more X-300 riders don't have these screens since they are so simple to install and they are rock solid. I have had my bike up to 80 mph and there is no flex whatsoever. Hope this helps you.

Ride safe,

JeffR

52L Top Case
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike

Last edited by JeffR!1234; 02-24-2018 at 10:37 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:32 AM

Garage
Put my CalSci med shield on and it turned out to be to tall, cut about 3 1/2" off.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:42 AM

Are the pictures after cutting off? How tall are you?

Tex
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

CA200,

I'm 6' tall and look over my sceen a bit but more now that I have the high seat. It seems you could have ordered the Large or even Medium screen. Hope you don't think I misled you but I did say I seem to sit high in the saddle.

How do you like the CalSci screen so far?

Ride safe,

JeffR

52L Top Case
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike

Last edited by JeffR!1234; 02-28-2018 at 12:08 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR!1234 View Post
CA200,

I'm 6' tall and look over my sceen a bit but more now that I have the high seat. It seems you could have ordered the Large or even Medium screen. Hope you don't think I mislead you but I did say I seem to sit high in the saddle.

How do you like the CalSci screen so far?
My question was to CA200, guess I should be more clear. Thanks for your reply, I'm 6' probably 5'11" with the old age shrink. Looks like a med would be fine?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Tex,

I know your question was directed to CA200 but since I started this thread and gave info I didn't want CA200 to think I misled him on the shield. If you don't sit high in the seat than the Med may work. I know that air on mine is pushed over my head and also my wife's head when she rides on back. Per the website the Med is 3" shorter than the X-Large.

Ride safe,

JeffR

52L Top Case
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 02:58 PM

Garage
the picture is before I cut it down, it is their Med. size. As you can see I am not a very
big guy.
I did not have time to try it after I cut it down and there is snow coming back in so
will have to wait for some weather.

JeffR I ordered my shield long before you did, it took more then a week to get here to Wi.

Last edited by CA200; 02-28-2018 at 03:02 PM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA200 View Post
the picture is before I cut it down, it is their Med. size. As you can see I am not a very
big guy.
I did not have time to try it after I cut it down and there is snow coming back in so
will have to wait for some weather.

JeffR I ordered my shield long before you did, it took more then a week to get here to Wi.
Thanks for the response, from the picture it looks as though you have the Kawasaki handguards. Do they hit the shield when the bars are turned all the way? I asked CalSci and they suspected they would. CalSci said I could mark the shield and return them and they would cut for no charge. Not sure I want to do that as I would be looking a paying for shipping 3 times.....bummer.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:51 PM

Excellent screens

Calsci has always made excellent screens (imo) and almost always at a better price than other (like GIVI). I have found though that they usually don't take hand guards into account. I usually just correct this myself by cutting wedges out of the lower edges of the screen. I've only ever bought the XL sizes though as pretty much every bike I've had, my eyes still came to an inch to 1.5" above the screen even with the biggest size (which is about perfect for me).

For me, it's always been either get an XL, or get a large and a lip of some kind. I like having everything in one for most cases, though I'll admit, when I do more time off-road I sometimes wish I'd gone smaller and added the lip so I didn't have to keep changing screens out for off vs on road.

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Givi - V35 Monokey Saddlebags - Large windscreen - Tail rack with v46 trunk
Speedy's - 1" Handlebar risers - Footpeg Lowering blocks
Osram 65W Bright replacements
Kawasaki Handguards
... And the all important gremlin bell, courtesy of my wife.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 02:50 PM

Garage
The hand guards do hit the wind shield but it no big deal , you don't lose hardly any
movement . I don't see ever getting into a parking spot that it would be a problem.
TexH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode