Ideal Fuel for the 300; also pointers for chain maintenance - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By whisperquiet
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ideal Fuel for the 300; also pointers for chain maintenance

Hi all,

Total noob here.

Want to know if it is enough to put the lowest(87) octane fuel.

The manual says 87 or higher Anti-knock Index, and from what I can research the Anti-knock index is actually (91+82)/2 = 86.7
Are there any benefits from putting higher octane rated fuel? Does anyone get problems from using lower octane fuel?

Also, How do y'all maintain your chains? is WD-40 from Walmart enough?

He who is brave is free
- Seneca the Younger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I run 87 octane in my X 300........runs great with no problems and you will not see any noticeable performance gain with higher octane fuel.

The best thing you can do for chain life is DO NOT run it too tight. I run mine at the max specified looseness and lube it occasionally with (currently Honda Pro) motorcycle no fling chain lube. Others will chime in about WD 40.....I use it on a rag to clean a chain and then lube with the chain lube. A can of motorcycle chain lube will normally last longer than your chain.
SECoda and Diogenes like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 09:46 PM

+1 on not running the chain too tight. Nothing wears one faster IMO. Ok maybe lots of rust but I doubt even that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
...Want to know if it is enough to put the lowest(87) octane fuel.

There's no advantage to running a higher octane than your engine requires, UNLESS that gets you into gas W/OUT alcohol (which is better in ALL ways!).

I got 56K miles on my OEM chain on my '08 650 using ONLY WD40, and rode lots of dirt, but I lube the chain VERY OFTEN! I also buy it in gallon cans, as that way there's more of the WD40, LESS of the 'carrier'.

Diogenes likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:20 AM

Garage
I use Bel Ray Super Clean chain lube. Works great. But it is white. I have a gas station nearby that
has non ethanol fuel all grades so I run that in all my bikes.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
if it runs and doesnt knock or ping your good to go, as for chain dont over tighen it and clean with WD-40 and then oil with some 80-90W gear oil i do so every 200ish miles (every tank of fuel)

another chain tip , paint your master link a different color and it will make it easier to locate for inspection (if you use a clip style to make sure your clips still there) and so when your cleaning your chain you have an easy marker to know when youve done the entire chain (i do two full rotations personally)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Hi all,

Total noob here.

Want to know if it is enough to put the lowest(87) octane fuel.

The manual says 87 or higher Anti-knock Index, and from what I can research the Anti-knock index is actually (91+82)/2 = 86.7
Are there any benefits from putting higher octane rated fuel? Does anyone get problems from using lower octane fuel?

WD-40 works great as a chain cleaner, as does diesel and kerosene but does not lubricate. Your best bet for lubrication is a dry type lubricant like Dupont Chain Saver as dry lubes are less messy and don't attract grit like grease based lubes. Lot's of YouTube HOWTo videos on chain maintenance. Lube every second fill up and clean and lube when it gets gritty. There is grease sealed inside the chain pins. The purpose of lubing the chain is to keep the rubber seals lubed that seal in this grease. Grit on the chain is what destroys them. As soon as a rubber O ring gets damaged, from grit or losing it's coat of lubrication, the grease escapes and the link seizes up which means the chain is toast.

Octane refers to the heat the gas ignites at. Higher compression engines, which are also often higher performance engines, require higher octane gas to avoid predetonation from the higher compression stroke. Power/energy is identical with all octane ratings. No advantage whatsoever in using higher octane fuel than required by your engine. Higher octane gas requires more heat/compression to ignite/explode, that is the ONLY difference.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-29-2018 at 03:59 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's just my personal preference, but I use 87 octane, but always buy Top Tier gas.
Home | Top Tier Gas I like to have as much cleaning additives as possible. Again, just personal preference.
Diogenes likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
It's just my personal preference, but I use 87 octane, but always buy Top Tier gas.
Home | Top Tier Gas I like to have as much cleaning additives as possible. Again, just personal preference.
+1. Talk to an engine builder. They love how Top Tier keeps everything in the fuel track nice and clean.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode