LED Headlight Replacement - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By SECoda
  • 1 Post By danwray
  • 1 Post By Brockie
  • 2 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

LED Headlight Replacement

Anyone do an LED headlight replacement yet? The stock looks strange with the aux LEDs that I leave on all of the time. If so what one did you use? How hard was the change? It appears it's a standard 9003/H4 Halogen.
TexH likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SECoda; 01-16-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 12:26 PM

Garage
I've had a pair of these in my truck for about a year and am happy with the performance.

http://a.co/1iKPjQC
SECoda likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

I had a pair in my V-Strom 650 about like that. They also worked well. I paid about $35 when they first came out a year ago and now the are $89 on Amazon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
I had a pair in my V-Strom 650 about like that. They also worked well. I paid about $35 when they first came out a year ago and now the are $89 on Amazon.
Yes, H4 is correct. I had to buy a pair to get the one I need. I'm waiting for all my electrical bits as I will completely strip the bodywork off to remove the headlight.

I guess that small hands could get up from below the headlight (with difficulty and working mostly blind but I have other jobs to do anyway.
I did not check that one of my new wires actually worked before bolting the faring bits back on.

See the thread "Versys-X 300 KLE300B/C service manual".
SECoda likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:35 PM

DON'T DO THAT!!!

Retrofit with a projector or just leave it as is.

simply put, an LED bulb (or drop in HID bulb) isn't designed for halogen reflectors and reduces your ability to see down the road. It will give you foreground light which seems like more light... but it's actually less because intended vision is down road and wide.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

I really don't need to change it since I drive very little at night. It was mainly for a color temperature match. If its a big deal to get to I won't. I will take a peek tomorrow.

Last edited by SECoda; 01-16-2018 at 09:49 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
DON'T DO THAT!!!

simply put, an LED bulb (or drop in HID bulb) isn't designed for halogen reflectors and reduces your ability to see down the road. It will give you foreground light which seems like more light... but it's actually less because intended vision is down road and wide.
It depends on which LED bulb maker you choose - and those not providing a better illumination have had to either upgrade their product or give up. What you say is true of my first LED's but new designs come out every month.
The biggest issue early on was excessive light scatter. Look at how many different designs are available. Choose one based on peer review.
quexpress and SECoda like this.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 AM

I kinda like the thought of color temp mismatch. It helps to draw attention.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 10:34 AM

Garage
The Versys 650 MK1 (2007-2009) and MK2 (2010-2014) both take H7 bulbs for the high and low beam. Not sure what size bulbs the MK3 bike takes but I am guessing it is also H7 bulbs.

The issue with H7 LED replacement bulbs is they protrude further out the rear which means you can no longer use the water seal grommet behind the bulb and the mechanism that holds in the bulb needs to be modified.

If you want a lot more light I would suggest adding AUX LED lights instead of LED bulbs. I've tried bulb conversions and the difference is not that significant but the effect of AUX LED lights is enormous.
Urbanengineer likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-17-2018 at 10:37 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=twowheels;1494569]The Versys 650 MK1 (2007-2009) and MK2 (2010-2014) both take H7 bulbs for the high and low beam. Not sure what size bulbs the MK3 bike takes but I am guessing it is also H7 bulbs.

The issue with H7 LED replacement bulbs is they protrude further out the rear which means you can no longer use the water seal grommet behind the bulb and the mechanism that holds in the bulb needs to be modified.

If you want a lot more light I would suggest adding AUX LED lights instead of LED bulbs. I've tried bulb conversions and the difference is not that significant but the effect of AUX LED lights is enormous.[/
QUOTE]

Ehmm - this is a Mk I.....Versys X ;o)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

not true with ALL led replacements. i have a projector LED replacement bulb in my mk1 and the only modding i did was to remove the reflector cone on the main beam, the dust cover still fits just fine and i didnt have to mod the clip (tho this bulb is meant to be a plug and play swap.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:48 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
[quote=Jesper Hedegaard;1494585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The Versys 650 MK1 (2007-2009) and MK2 (2010-2014) both take H7 bulbs for the high and low beam. Not sure what size bulbs the MK3 bike takes but I am guessing it is also H7 bulbs.

If you want a lot more light I would suggest adding AUX LED lights instead of LED bulbs. I've tried bulb conversions and the difference is not that significant but the effect of AUX LED lights is enormous.[/
QUOTE]

Ehmm - this is a Mk I.....Versys X ;o)
thats why he said 650 mk1 not v300 mk1

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 01:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
DON'T DO THAT!!!

The LED's I put in my truck (from the link above) are designed to work with the reflectors. The large heat sink does stick out the back though, so I can't vouch for any fitment or dust cover issues on the bike, I just know they worked well in my truck as a halogen bulb replacement.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Right - some have been specifically developed as motorcycle replacements and for existing halogen reflectors. The Evitek I had in my V-Strom 650 were specifically developed with a Honda motorcycle club so they would work well in bikes too. They even posted the results along the way in their forum and I followed it. They were brighter than the stock halogens and had little scatter. I bought the Evitek bulbs when they first came out for $40 a pair and now they want $90 (Amazon) because they work pretty well. We tested them pretty thoroughly for use in our V-Strom's and they worked pretty well. Earlier standard LED replacements weren't so good.

My only concern is will it work in the Versys X 300 in terms of the room available. Brockie will be trying to change one soon I think.

Last edited by SECoda; 01-17-2018 at 01:45 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
My only concern is will it work in the Versys X 300 in terms of the room available. Brockie will be trying to change one soon I think.
Yes. I'm awaiting the arrival of some wiring connectors that I might need and installing/repairing everything at the same time - including fitting an LED H4 bulb.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 09:52 AM

Guys, I know "White" seems like an upgrade, but it's actually reduced hot spot. The hot spot is very important for seeing down the road. Everyone seems to think foreground light is good, but it is actually bad. It's like driving with your dash lights on bright as can be at night. It reduces you vision.

RETROFIT AN HID PROJECTOR IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT A LIGHTING UPGRADE .

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1245426
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 12:18 AM

Anyone had any success? How did you get on with the dust cover ? I looked at the Cyclops LED and the dust seal looks to be blocking the LED's cooling fan if I keep the seal and I think the seal should be kept if possible. I'm likely to throw the LED at a different bike now. I was purely going for reduced wattage to run more heated gear safely as well it's winter here now and already have heated gear used with previous bikes with better stator output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode