Versys-X 300 and Adventure Helmets... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Versys-X 300 and Adventure Helmets...

I was wondering if any of you guys (gender neutral pronoun) ride your baby Versys with an adventure style lid. I really want one, but I'm concerned that the visor may cause bobble-head or excessive lift due to the mid-height windscreen on the Versys. Currently, the air seems to hit me right in the pie-hole, but my GT-Air handles the air flow perfectly. I like the idea of a wider field of view and increased air flow with the adventure helmet, but I wanted to know what kind of experiences you guys have had with these types of helmets before I give any more of my money to Revzilla.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 04:55 PM

Garage
I wear one and have no problem with the wind. However, I'm only 5'4", so YMMV.
That being said, I do wear the same helmet on my TW200, and that has no windshield to speak of. The only time I've had issues when traveling on the highway (55-60mpg) was when there was a fierce crosswind or when I was passing a large semi. Under those circumstances, I believe anyone would have problems.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have one of these but don't use the visor (beak) But i ride a V-1000

New Helmet by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020103 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020107 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I have one of these but don't use the visor (beak) But i ride a V-1000

P1020103 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020107 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Have the same helmet and love it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
weljo2001 likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 10:11 PM

Garage
I usually wear an adventure helmet.
They tend to create a little more wind noise at speed but these days the peaks are all designed with a large air gap so that no longer does the wind turn the peak into a sail.

I find the peak very helpful when riding into the sun. Tilting the peak down to put some shade onto a dusty visor makes a huge difference to visibility.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:57 AM

Used a Airoh X4 for years, first on a BMX F650ST with the tall shield, later on a Kawasaki KLX 250 S with a shield of own design.
Bought below helmet after buying my Versys X late last summer; the visor seems to generate a little more noise than the X4, but the beak doesn't seem to be afffected by wind on either of theese two helmets.
Only in very strong sidewind I have experienced the feeling af being slapped often - but that I hae also experienced with several full face helmets over time.
This Wulffsport Prima X is very comfortable to wear, also available from two other brands, but Wulffsport are alone in offering below design that (to my taste at least) matches a green Vx ;o)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenprimaxdrawing.jpg (50.3 KB, 46 views)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
...I find the peak very helpful when riding into the sun. Tilting the peak down to put some shade onto a dusty visor makes a huge difference to visibility.
I get similar results by putting two strips of electricians tape across the top, inside, of my helmet shields. You can just make the stuff out in this pic of my helmet covered w/ almost 9K miles of bugs....

onewizard and Buffalo_Bob like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I get similar results by putting two strips of electricians tape across the top, inside, of my helmet shields. You can just make the stuff out in this pic of my helmet covered w/ almost 9K miles of bugs....

Yes you can - and no ;o)
The tape takes your top view at all times - the beak doesn't, it only takes the low sun when you bow.

But keep on gathering insects and your problems with low sun will be over ;o)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper Hedegaard View Post
Yes you can - and no ;o)
The tape takes your top view at all times - the beak doesn't, it only takes the low sun when you bow.

But keep on gathering insects and your problems with low sun will be over ;o)
The viewing-window on my BELL helmet is large enough that I don't lose anything at normal head/neck angles, and when I ride into the sun I just do a slight "bow" (as you put it).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the input guys. I love these ADV helmets. I'll just have to make sure that the helmet I buy has a tool-less removal system for the visor so I can take it off easily when I've got a lot of highway miles to cover. The obsessive comparison shopping will now commence.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
If you were to ever ride into a setting sun with a peak you would immediately see the improvement in visibility, especially if your visor was dusty.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
If you were to ever ride into a setting sun with a peak you would immediately see the improvement in visibility, especially if your visor was dusty.
I always carry "No-Name" lemon pledge and a rag to clean my visor, in a saddle-bag.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My buddies who bought ADV helmets with the beaks tell me that they are not good for highway speeds and head checks while commuting.

I will stick with my Bell Star and RS-1 helmets that are very aerodynamic and reasonably light and flow a lot of air with the brow vents.

Bell also has a Transitions shield available and it works great. I combine it with polarized sunglasses and not issues unless I am riding into a dark forested road from a very bright sunlit road. Reminds me of Loony Tunes cartoons where you wonder if the road continues or did someone just paint a black hole on the side of a mountain.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:16 AM

I am 5'10" and wear a HJC DS-X1. My visor rattles abit but is not bad. I think one of those windscreen extender will cure the buffeting....

"one cross thread is better than two lockwashers"
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3ns View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I love these ADV helmets. I'll just have to make sure that the helmet I buy has a tool-less removal system for the visor so I can take it off easily when I've got a lot of highway miles to cover. The obsessive comparison shopping will now commence.

The helmet i have in the above photos just require's a coin to loosen or tighten the bolt on each side to remove or put on the face shield. It also has an inner dark flip-down visor to use when the sun get bright....
You can see the Screw in this photo...

P1020105 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
My buddies who bought ADV helmets with the beaks tell me that they are not good for highway speeds and head checks while commuting.

I will stick with my Bell Star and RS-1 helmets that are very aerodynamic and reasonably light and flow a lot of air with the brow vents.

Bell also has a Transitions shield available and it works great. I combine it with polarized sunglasses and not issues unless I am riding into a dark forested road from a very bright sunlit road. Reminds me of Loony Tunes cartoons where you wonder if the road continues or did someone just paint a black hole on the side of a mountain.
This is a totally late comment, but agree with your friends, I have two adventure helmets and it is a huge difference with and without the beak when traveling on the freeway and doing head checks. I’ve got a Bell and a Sedici.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 08:02 AM

I have a Shoei Qwest, Shoei Hornet, and Shoei Hornet x2. There is a little bit of drag that comes with the sun visor compared to a street helmet, but not enough that it deters me from wearing them. I usually wear my old Hornet, just because it's really light and like an old sneaker, super comfy. I don't really wear my Qwest much now that the sport bikes are gone.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam.

Just a little bit of riding with a BILT Explorer about $110 usd helmet. With the stock screen I noticed some lift up if I tilted my head up.
Side to side not so much. I will cut the visor and enlarge the air gaps for the lift up. Note: Just received the Madstad windshield so later updates will be with that w/s. My plan is to use this for all my summer riding.

Other helmets, Schuberth C3 ... quiet, tight , hot .... good for winter. flip-up
HJC , I think -17i. A bit cooler and looser than the C3. flip-up

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
7,700+ miles, 90% hard surface riding.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 06:07 PM

I' 6' with 32" inseam - used to ride with an Airoh S4, but switched to a Wulffsport Prima X helmet late last summer.
The S4 I used for over 9 years on a BMW F650ST, a Kawasaki KLX250S and at last on my Xv.
Never felt bothered by the beak.
The Wulffsport is much more comfortable and has build-in sun visor - I don't think I'll ever buy another helmet without that feature again.
The S4 had a hiss from somewhere around the visor - never really found out the reason.
The Wulffsport has a much lower frequency noise, also from the visor - once I'm done experimenting with raising the windshield, I hope that noise will disappear.

Only in hard sidewind have I experienced unwanted head-turns - but I think that is caused by the snow plough below the visor and not the beak.
After all, the beak has such a low profile when seen from the front (where the wind hits it) and so big openings between beak and helmet that most wind will just pass through.
And this is based on now 10 years with enduro-helmets and speeds up to 160 KpH.
Actually tried to remove the beak for a short period when riding a Ninja 250S - no real difference in the feel of the helmet in the wind.

Have had one better helmet from Schubert; very silent and very little influenced by wind.
And at least one worse - don't remember the brand but I had to ride with open mouth on the highway as it would start lifting off the top of my head at around 90 KpH.
And the strap was anchored so low in the helmet that it couldn't hold the helmet down at speed !
Same helmet also gave me uncontrolable twitches in side wind; every now and then when a gust hit me, I just couldn't avoid turning my head to leewards !

The Wulffsport is also marketet under two other brand names - but I don't remember which !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenprimaxdrawing.jpg (50.3 KB, 19 views)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels2ride View Post
I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam.

Just a little bit of riding with a BILT Explorer about $110 usd helmet. With the stock screen I noticed some lift up if I tilted my head up.
Side to side not so much. I will cut the visor and enlarge the air gaps for the lift up.
I have the exact same shell and visor on my Speed & Strength SS2500 Adventure helmet. They are obviously from the same factory but with a different chin vent and visor.
The visor has such large openings that I doubt enlarging them will have any effect. As Jesper says - it is more likely that the protruding chin piece is the cause.
I appreciate the multi venting system for hot weather riding. My only disappointment is the tendency for wind to get up behind my ears and into the earwells, causing rustling. However that seems to be par for the course with all my recent helmets.

I cannot see the advantage of purchasing a high end, name brand helmet - so long as all else is equal. Better to purchase a new helmet more often instead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode