What are you doing for a CenterStand? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

What are you doing for a CenterStand?

I see that there are now THREE manufacturers for center stands for the Kawasaki Versys-X 300.
It appears that the Kawasaki model is the cheapest. Has anyone purchased the Kawasaki model? Whats your opinion? How does the weight and style appear? Is it also the lightest of the three?

Anyone have suggestions that are safe and effective for working on the motorcycle without using an add on centerstand. Ive used the adjustable prop in tandem with the side stand on my KLR650. Good in an emergency out on the road, otherwise a little risky at home.
Id be interested in seeing and hearing other methods to service the bike at home instead of using a centerstand.
Thanks,
PCG

Dont bother me with DETAILS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 08:51 PM

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Kawasaki makes their own stand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperquiet View Post
I checked around and found that Kawasaki is now making and selling their own center stand.
Their parts number for their stand is, 99994-0844 and its is lighter than the SW Motech and about $100.00 cheaper!
Im holding off making a purchase of this stand, hoping that I can find another way to elevate and work on my bike.
PCG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 10:46 PM

Garage
As I'm still thinking of getting a 300X if and when I sell my 650-I like to know what things cost-so the cheapest I found on the OEM stand is $226 free shipping at Rocky Mountain ATV&MC they show 7 in stock

Deep in Cajun Country
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 10:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismocycleguy View Post
I checked around and found that Kawasaki is now making and selling their own center stand.
Their parts number for their stand is, 99994-0844 and its is lighter than the SW Motech and about $100.00 cheaper!
Im holding off making a purchase of this stand, hoping that I can find another way to elevate and work on my bike.
PCG
I think you may have got that backwards
OEM $290
SW Motech $192
tzoykas likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 10:55 PM

Rocky Mountain has probably the best prices on the Kawasaki OEM accessories - got my engine guards earlier in the week, about $170 shipped!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 12:09 AM

Garage
IMO the main stand is the #1 farkle for everyone. It keeps the bike secure and upright while lubing the chain and any other maintenance or cleaning. Working on it is so much easier when upright and it is always there, and secure.
I bought the OEM and ground a little off the stand bracket to make the bike sit more securely. I just felt that an accidental bump might roll the bike forward and off.

SECoda likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

A lot of us w/ the V 650 add "spools" to the swingarm and use a rear stand (mine is a TREX).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 06:07 PM

OEM as well. It was the first FARKLE.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 11:39 PM

Garage
I bought the SW Motech stand for mine. Other than fighting with the springs to get it on, its been fine.

2017 Versys X 300 abs
1983 KZ1100
1995 Astro van
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:12 AM

I bought one of those inexpensive spring installation tools a few years ago. Otherwise, it's a PIA IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasaki4me View Post
I bought the SW Motech stand for mine. Other than fighting with the springs to get it on, its been fine.

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Anyone want to express opinions about which is the best operational center stand between the SW Motech and the Kawasaki Versys 300 oem stand.
I know that the SW centerstand is less expensive,but it is also heavier. In the past I have tried both the SW Motech stands on some manufacturers brand motorcycle and the oem brand of center stand on the brand of the motorcycle. Ive had mixed results. Sometimes the SW mounts and works the best and other times the oem stand is better.
I think for my Versys-X Im going to purchase the Kawasaki Stand, #99994-0995.
PCG

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:15 PM

Do you have a link to a spring instalation tool? I have no idea wht to ask for at harbor freight, Amazon or my hardware store.

I've got my center stand installed and zip tied up until I can get the spring on.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Garage
Would the technique at 1:44 in the below video work for attaching the spring to your center stand?

I haven't put a center stand on yet, but I would guess the spring attaches the same way for all brands.

Last edited by CheesyRider; 05-09-2018 at 08:01 PM. Reason: trying to get youtube video to work
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
Do you have a link to a spring instalation tool? I have no idea wht to ask for at harbor freight, Amazon or my hardware store.

I've got my center stand installed and zip tied up until I can get the spring on.
Spring installation tool. https://www.amazon.com/motorcycle-ex.../dp/B009YFEL0M

There is no doubt that is one of the difficult things to get done. I do not have a tool myself. I use fencing wire, or strong cord tied in a loop, connect to the spring and use a very heavy screwdriver or small prise bar at some point beyond the fitting point and stretch the spring hook over its destination. It is not easy and I usually have to change the loop of wire a few times to get the right length. And to find a secure place for my heavy screwdriver.
The spring is easiest to get on when the stand is in its up position.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:19 PM

Garage
Installed the SW, previously had the bike lowered one inch.

Rear tire is over four inches off the ground.
Side to side bump is OK.
Rear to front bump is 'treacherous'.
IMO, the foot pad is too small and it lifts too much.

If you are doing heavy work on the bike, tie down the front brake or use
one of those front V tire stands.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
5,000 + miles, 90% hard surface riding.

Last edited by wheels2ride; 05-10-2018 at 01:21 PM.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
Would the technique at 1:44 in the below video work for attaching the spring to your center stand?

I haven't put a center stand on yet, but I would guess the spring attaches the same way for all brands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUX_VWdTUBw
Should work, but be CAREFUL that it doesn't slip off the screwdriver.

That WILL hurt!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 06:23 PM

Garage
I neglected to mention when I posted the video that the T-Rex adjustable center stand should be available soon. I emailed T-Rex to inquire about price and release date. The reply stated that they expect to have it available for purchase by the end of this month. The price hasn't been finalized, but should be $150-$200.

I don't really need the adjustable height feature. But, if it is less expensive than OEM or the SW, I'll probably get the T-Rex.
LuvNot likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 - 2015 Honda F6B Gold Wing
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:08 PM

I attempted the long screwdriver method for about 15 minutes, wasn't working out so well. Tried a drum brake spring tool and had it instantly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (22.0 KB, 65 views)
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:33 AM

That is what my mechanic used! That is the tool for the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode