Versys X300 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By SECoda
  • 1 Post By Brockie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Versys X300

New member looking for advice on handguards for the Versys X300. I see the Kawasaki handguards do not attach to the bar ends. Never have had handguards, just looking for wind protection in cold weather are they OK or is there something better for the bucks?

Thanks
Tex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 04:36 AM

Garage
If you are only looking for wind protection use the OEM or similar guards. Fitting bark buster type guards may protect the levers BUT attempting to remove the existing bar end weights is difficult and needs an almost unique methodology.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 09:28 AM

Garage
I have the OEM ones and am very happy with them. I only ride on the street.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
If you are only looking for wind protection use the OEM or similar guards. Fitting bark buster type guards may protect the levers BUT attempting to remove the existing bar end weights is difficult and needs an almost unique methodology.
Having ONLY the 650 Vs, I don't know IF the bar-end weights attach similarly, but I put ZETA XC "barkbusters" onto my '08 and '09 Vs. I just removed the socket cap-screw on each end, removed the bar-end weights, then re-inserted the bolts when the ZETA's were in place, W/OUT the weights.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 11:36 PM

Garage
I saved this from another forum. The 300 seems to have a unique retention system and just unscrewing the hex screw damages the internals.

"Looking at the parts fiche:*https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/Parts...017/KLE300*for the handlebars, it appears the V-X uses a similar retention method to the Honda CB500X/F/R models - where the bar-end weight is screwed to a second insert weight inside the bar itself, and the whole assembly is held in place with a retention spring-clip that allows it to rotate inside the bar, which is why you are having trouble removing the screw/bolt, as the whole thing just spins...

Hope that helps.

Jx

Thanks. That did indeed help. For posterity, here's what I found:

To remove the bar-ends, unscrewing the bolt or the bar-end is useless and may damage the clip which is not designed to be turned. Instead, as JMo said, compress the 2 long tabs (visible at the end of the handlebar), and simply withdraw the entire assembly out of the handlebar.

Actually, "simply" is completely incorrect... To get better access to the clips and bar-ends, I dismounted the control switch assemblies and moved the grips (and throttle tube on that side) inboard out of the way. Then I had to find a way to lever the bar-end assembly out of the handlebar. On the first end I removed (clutch side), my clip was already slightly damaged (they can easily be rebent to functional shape) so I used collars and screwdrivers against the end of the bar to pull the assembly out. As mentioned, everything was loctited liberally, and the solid grommet is a substantial press-fit into the handlebar, so it was very reluctant to move. Fortunately, it comes free of the handlebar after about an inch, and then the whole assembly does come out easily. Knowing how/what I was doing made the throttle side easier, but it still felt firmly glued in.

Assembly is the reverse of the above, but you may want to silicone lube the heck out of the solid grommet before insertion. For the time being, I don't plan on re-inserting the originals, as I'll be using universal Acerbis handguards which bolt to the end of the handlebar. I haven't ridden the bike without the bar-ends yet, so I have no idea of how much difference it makes. I'll deal with weights if necessary when I install the handguards.

Incidentally, the parts fiche that JMo referenced is a great resource, but is only avaiable on the US Kawasaki site (Canada's doesn't even mention parts at all). I had looked at it, but the detail was so poor I was unsure until JMo provided the description. Hope this helps as well.

JP"

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 06:26 PM

+1 OEM for wind, small flying rocks, bugs, and rain, etc.. For me cold wind in the winter is the main purpose. They also match the mirrors with all of the angles, etc. for the most part.

Last edited by SECoda; 12-28-2017 at 06:43 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 07:41 PM

Garage
Does that frosted strip on your screen ever get in the way? I find that a similar frosted strip on my DL650's Givi Airflow is a PITA when slowly picking my way through rocks or ruts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 07:58 PM

Not too bad on either bike. I have them adjusted down so I look just over the top of the windshields (Givi Airflow on my V2) but the double windshield is more bothersome on the Givi for seeing through generally. I think it may be more of a problem for folks that always want to look through the windshields have them them raised higher? Now the GPS's on both bikes are more intrusive. :-)

Here are both.
Brockie likes this.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 05:13 PM

Garage
Still waiting for my GPS to arrive. No problem with the V2 position as I guess I will use my DL650 more for traveling but would like the X300's more out of the way for a better view of those tricky spots while adventuring.
SECoda likes this.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 05:39 PM

Bummer. For some reason I thought you had a local AU warehouse for the GPS? I think mine took about 4-5 days.

Last edited by SECoda; 12-29-2017 at 05:42 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 03:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
Bummer. For some reason I thought you had a local AU warehouse for the GPS? I think mine took about 4-5 days.
We do. Somehow xmas must have got in the way as Sydney (the seller) is only an 11 hour drive away.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 06:29 PM

I bought the OEM for the exact reason you seek an answer for. I will say , they make a big difference.
I find that before them, my whole hand froze, and now, just either the top of my hand or the bottom freezes
(depending on my hand orientation).
So, I wanted to stop all the wind chill /freezing to my hand- but OEM DOES NOT provide total protection. Just
a heads up for you. Above being said, They are not cheap, and there might be a better solution for our problem ( I'm
already too committed thou )
My .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode