Self locking axle nuts - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

4Likes
  • 3 Post By Rebel13
  • 1 Post By Pismocycleguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Self locking axle nuts

Iím trying to find and purchase some self locking axle nuts for my 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300. In the past I have purchased Dual Star self locking axle nuts to replace the castle nuts and cotter pins, but I cannot find their website or source anymore. The self locking are much more friendly to use while adjusting the drive chain.
Anyone know where I can purchase these item?
Anyone know the metric size and pitch of the stock axle nuts, front and rear, on the 2017 Versys-X 300, or where I can find this information without removing my axle nuts and measuring them?
Thanks

ďDonít bother me with DETAILS!Ē
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 09:30 PM

There was a post on this site or advrider.com that mentioned the Honda XR650L axle nuts as being Versys-X 300 compatible and self locking.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Whisperquiet,
Thanks again for the related information regarding the self locking axle nuts. I found the actual measurements for the nut is M16 x 1.5 which is very helpful.
Iíve revisited ADV and was impressed by the knowledge base and the large number of members and posts involving the Versys-X 300.
Iím going to follow your lead and spend more time on the ADV Forum instead of the Versys Forum.
I also finished removing both of the bar ends on my Versys-X, quite a chore even when using lubricant. Those bar end are almost exactly like what Honda used on there NC700X. A real pain in the ass to remove, but worth it after you replace them with some ďREALĒ bar ends. Iím replacing mine with HEAVY HVMP bar ends. Iíve used these on my bikes since 2003.
Merry Christmas
PCG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 10:23 AM

If you visit "Fastenal" and look for "nylock" nuts you should be able to find what you want.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Duffy,
Thanks for the information for the locking M16 nuts at Fastenal. Fastenal does offer this item, but not the locking nut with flange. This is a one piece nut that also includes a flange. So you donít have a separate washer.
Happy Holidays,
PCG

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 06:46 AM

Garage
Why woud you do this? Going with a self locking nut will increase you wheel maintenance costs 1,000 fold! You know technically, you are suppose to replace that nut after every use. If you don't want to deal with a cotter pin then use a hitch pin or saftey wire for easier use. Cotter pins cost pennies...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 08:02 AM

I use these instead of a cotter pin.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 08:49 AM

Garage
I have a box of 5000 cotter pins left over from my shop I closed in 2012 , don't think I will run
out any time soon.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

I re-use my cotter pins, as (after REPLACING the OEM one, which had both ends pulled back, surrounding the axle-nut) I just spread the ends to about 1/2 to 3/4", which has been enough to keep them from "exiting" the nut, and means they're good for a few uses.

I DO carry a spare w/ my tools, however!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 11:40 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
+1 for using the hair pin style cotter pin,

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

You are correct about the cost of replacing a locking nut after each loosening and/or removal of the rear wheel.
Iíve also used a hitch pin on the rear wheel of my V-Strom. Works well.
Rebel13 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode