Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Stock bar end removal

17K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Krispyk 
#1 ·
I’m trying to replace the Versys-X’s stock, original equipment, bar ends. When I turn the 5mm allen head bolt securing them inside the handlebar, the complete bar end weight turns with the allen head 5mm bolt, and doesn’t loosen. I tried to hold the exterior of the bar end while turning the 5mm bolt but still couldn’t keep the complete unit from turning. I could probably secure the bar end by using an adjustable vise grip, but that would probably destroy the finish of the stock bar ends.
ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HELPFUL HINTS?
Thanks
PCG

#3 ·
Whisperquiet,
I really appreciate you help and video on how to remove the bar ends from our Versys-X 300 Bikes. I have remove the left side bar end using the method in the video you sent. The only difference between my method and the video is that I didn’t use any lubricant. I simply used a 5mm T-handle hex wrench and kept turning the 5mm bolt in the bar end and pulling out on the bar end. Took awhile but came out successfully.
I’ll be doing the throttle side bar end tomorrow, and I’ll be using lubricant to speed things up as was in your video.
Thanks a lot for your help and the attached video.
Have a nice holiday weekend.
PCG

#4 · (Edited)
Whisperquiet,
What did you buy or use to replace your stock bar-ends
Did you use hand guards, bark busters, or some other brand of weighted bar ends?
I’m interested to know.

I hope other riders will also respond to this message to share what they found or used to replace the stock bar-ends.
Thanks,
PCG

#7 ·
I removed the bar end weights in order to install Symtec Heat Demon heated grip liners and ProGrip 714 replacement grips. Otherwise, it is almost impossible to remove the old grips and install the new grips due to the diameter of the weights. I did not install any real handguards....only some inexpensive Tusk wind deflectors. So, the OEM inserts and bar end weights were reinstalled.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/-/53709/Tusk-Enduro-Handguard#ReviewsPanel

#8 ·
For the life of me I cannot get the throttle side bar end to budge more than a quarter inch where the first spring tabs are exposed. I have the throttle tube moved up the bar for best access. I have lubed them let them sit overnight. Pulled while turning the allen wrench. I can get it to come out another eighth of an inch by prying with a screwdriver, but then it just springs back. I even rigged up a gear puller to a weighted dent puller and used that to pull on the bar end. But it will not budge any further. Only turns but will not come out any farther.

Cannot get the clutch side to come out of the bar at all after loosening the allen and lubing it up, turning an pulling.

This is a 2017 Kawasaki Verys X300 with 385 miles on it.

I have been building engines and suspension for a long time, but this has me about ready to throw in the towel.

Any thoughts?

#11 ·
Before you jump to conclusions, I watched this video, what I gathered is this assembly is very much like a expansion shield for concrete. By putting force in trying to remove it, you are actually tightening it. Mention of lubricating in the process, don't disagree however, here is a suggestion, drive the head of the allen head socket in after you have loosened it off, this should relieve tension on both the rubber expansion rings, now twist and pull.

Reactions: quexpress
#12 ·
I don't own a x300 so I don't know this for sure, but I don't think the core (the part that is inserted into the handle bars) is supposed to be removed. I believe it is an anti vibration device and anchor for the bar end to screw into. I also believe the reason the bar end hex bolt won't unscrew from the anchor is because Kawasaki used red locktite on it. The only way to remove a bolt that has red locktite on it is to apply heat to the bolt. I would suggest applying heat to the bolt with a heat gun. Then using a impact driver (preferably) if you have one, or an impact gun to loosen the bolt and remove it. Once the bolt is removed the bar end should come off, and the core remain in the handle bar. As I say I'm not sure this is the way the x300 is set up , but I've seen it done on a ninja 250.

#13 ·
I recently did battle with my girlfriends 2017 Versys X300 to remove the bar weights to install heated hand grips. What in incredibly frustrating experience. The videos are helpful but none of them showed what I found was the only way to remove the bar weights. While you will want to spray lube into the bars and rotate the bar end. However after that you will probably need to insert a small screwdriver to pry the bar end out of the bar slightly,. Then put a larger screwdriver and pry. Once you get about a quarter inch exposed you can put channel locks at the lip of the bar end to reduce the size of the slot so that you can then pry with a screwdriver between the bar and the the channel lock on the weight end. Then you should be able to pry it to the point of the rubber bumper coming out and then you can probably pull out by hand.

These bar weights are incredible jammed in. I tired hammer pullers and they would not budge. The pry method was the only way I could get them out.
Hope this is helpful to reduce future bar weight battles

#14 ·
I also used a screwdriver between the grip and bars to pry the area open and get lube deeper into there...along with the allen wrench and an adjustable wrench for leverage on the ends...these are a pain in the butt no matter how you attack it, and just when you think they won't come out, they do. Allen wrench in the tip for twisting back and forth (give it a few full twists before starting the rest, then small twist adjustments throughout), adjustable wrench for grip/to pull a larger area of the bar end, screwdriver or two between the grips and handlebars, and frequent lube shots in between there. Good luck!

#15 ·
To get mine out I put a vice grip on the bar end and beat on the vice grip with a hammer to get to move slightly out the end where I could then pry against the end of the handlebar tube to help push it out. Understand the allen screw does nothing but hold the end weight to the internal weight so when you are turning it with a wrench you are turning everything inside. The only thing that is actually holding it all in there is the internal weight has a rubber bushing that is putting pressure against the inside of the tube. My method did ruin the end weights but I wasnt trying to save them so I didnt care. It still took me 15-20 mins per side beating them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.