Engine Guards - OEM vs TRex - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmckinley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Engine Guards - OEM vs TRex

One of the first things I would like to add to my Mini-V is some kind of engine guard. The OEM, of course, is guaranteed for fit and function. But after looking for aftermarket items, I really like the guard from T-Rex (T-Rex Racing 2017 - 2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 Engine Guard Crash Cages). It appears to have the same ability to support LED lights as the OEM, but looks like it would provide better protection - especially with the optional pucks.

Has anyone installed the T-Rex version or their skid plate yet? If so, what is your impression of the fit and coverage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 03:46 PM

I do have the T-rex skid plate and it probably has already saved my exhaust system at least twice. We ride off road quite a bit and I have hit logs, stumps and rocks. Holding up very well so far. This time of year, I have to keep an eye on the dead leaves accumulating inside the skid plate. My buddy was riding behind me and told me he could smell burning leaves. They were not on fire yet, but were smoldering. I just make sure i keep them cleaned out during our rest stops now and all is good.

t-rex did not have the upper cage at the time I bought mine, so I went with the Kawasaki guard. It works just fine, my bike has been down offroad at low speed a couple of times with no damage. The t-rex one does look like it offers mor protection though.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
One of the first things I would like to add to my Mini-V is some kind of engine guard. The OEM, of course, is guaranteed for fit and function. But after looking for aftermarket items, I really like the guard from T-Rex (T-Rex Racing 2017 - 2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 Engine Guard Crash Cages). It appears to have the same ability to support LED lights as the OEM, but looks like it would provide better protection - especially with the optional pucks.

Has anyone installed the T-Rex version or their skid plate yet? If so, what is your impression of the fit and coverage?
You should probably use the same brand crash bars as skid plate as they are usually designed to fit together. Not sure about the 300, but for the 650 SW-Motech makes the best product. Their stuff is well made. I would also consider a rad guard if riding where crud is getting thrown at the radiator. Kawasaki brand accessories are not usually made by Kawasaki but are rather rebranded stuff from an assortment of aftermarket companies like Givi, Shad and others. Price wise it is usually best to buy the aftermarket brand as there is a huge markup in price once Kawasaki gets stamped on it. For example Oxford heated grips are $89US vs $200+ for the Kawasaki brand. Quality is as good or better with the Oxfords.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-21-2017 at 10:12 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you for the input. Glad to hear my first impulse to avoid Kawasaki brand accessories was correct. Their plastic hand protection looks like a joke.

I'll take a look at the SW-Motech stuff. I have until late spring to decide on the brand engine guard and skid plate. Won't be off road until then anyway. But I am looking forward to getting stuff installed on the bike.

Right now, I am already looking at the Oxford heated grips (Baby it's COLD outside!) to pair with some BarkBusters I bought for another bike and never installed. Need some wind protection and warmth for my poor hands. I don't have far to go to commute, but when it's in the 20's to 30's, it doesn't take long for the fingers to feel frozen.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just purchased the T-Rex skid plate. Hope to see it come in by the end of the month. If I'm lucky, the snow will be gone by then too and it will be warm enough to get outside and actually install. I'll take pictures and do a review when it arrives.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 06:30 AM

Garage
I was considering the T-Rex. It looks like a solid piece, but I wanted something that covered more of the exhaust so I ended up going with the Ricochet Off-Road skid plate. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. It's too cold for me to ride so at least I can tinker in the garage.

https://ricochet-off-road.myshopify....num-skid-plate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 319_2_2048x2048.jpg (50.9 KB, 83 views)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Aww man! Sil3ns, how did you even find that?! I've was looking for alternatives to the T-Rex because I don't like the self-advertising cut-outs. But they seemed to be the only ones available. After watching the video posted below, I must say I definitely like the Ricochet's beefier coverage and stouter mounting points!

<sigh> Note to self: I just need to be more patient: this model is only a year old after all!

But to be honest, my purposes, the T-Rex will be more than adequate since I'm new to the whole adventure bike experience and have very few opportunities to be off-road. When it's time to go cross-country, then I'll worry about upgrading to the better skid plate.

In the mean time, for those who haven't seen this yet, here's a cool video showing installation of the Rocochet plate:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 AM

I have the Richocet skid plate. Its great. However, compatible crashbars are limited. The Richocet uses the upper motor mount as a mounting point. The SW Motech crashbars will not work. I have resorted to use the OEM bars which are adequate in my opinion. As far as I know, the OEM and T-Rex bars are the only one available at this moment that are compatible. Rumors are out there that SW Motech is working on a skid plate that should work with their bars. Givi is working on stuff too, I think.

"one cross thread is better than two lockwashers"
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Since I didn't want to wait until spring when everyone and their brother is trying to get ready for the season, I went ahead and bought the T-Rex engine guards. Although it's another case of lack-of-patience, I figure better to go ahead and spend the money now while the bars are available, rather than wait until spring when everyone and their brother will have the same idea and risk them being sold-out. The skid plate came in this week. If the weather clears I'll install it this weekend. If it keeps raining, though, I'll just wait until the engine guards come in and install everything all at once.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Just to check, the OEM Kawasaki Crash guards are compatible with the Ricochet skid plate?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 04:36 PM

Garage
From what I can tell, all of them are compatible. The OEM is just the least complicated to install. I have the Ricochet skid plate and the Givi crash bars. I had to go to the Fastenal store and purchase a 1/2" longer socket bolt for the upper motor mount. Other than that, everything went together fairly easily.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:36 AM

I have the Ricochet skid plate and Kawasaki crash bars and they work fine together.

Hereís my issue with the Ricochet skid plate, however. There 13 fasteners involved and not one mention in the instructions of recommended torque. This is especially important for the upper and lower mounting bolts which are replaced with new longer bolts. And, they supply split lock washers which were proven back in the 70ís to be detrimental to bolted joints.

J McKinley
2018 300 ABS
2002 V Strom 1000
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
...Hereís my issue with the Ricochet skid plate, however. There 13 fasteners involved and not one mention in the instructions of recommended torque. This is especially important for the upper and lower mounting bolts which are replaced with new longer bolts. And, they supply split lock washers which were proven back in the 70ís to be detrimental to bolted joints.
I believe that there's a page in the SERVICE MANUAL that gives recommended torque values for different fasteners BASED ON THEIR DIAMETERS.

Pretty sure IF you "Google" it you'll come up w/ a similar page.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:01 PM

In my humble opinion, the supplier of the skid plate should have provided the recommended torques.
That would be in their own best interest. If they donít recommend the torques, then I can just tighten everything finger tight and then sue when the thing falls off and destroys my crankcase or causes a wreck.

J McKinley
2018 300 ABS
2002 V Strom 1000
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:23 PM

And, standard torques are not relevant in this case. Five of the bolts thread into odd nuts pressed and swaged into the brackets. Too much torque and the nut spins in the bracket. No way to know how tight to go absent useful instructions.

Four of the bracket bolts screw into blind holes in the crankcase. Again, this requires a lower than standard torque to avoid stripping the aluminum threads.

And two bolts screw into inserts in rubber insulators. You canít look that torque up anywhere.
miczat likes this.

J McKinley
2018 300 ABS
2002 V Strom 1000
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 02:40 AM

So J, what does the home mechanic do in this case?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Active X 300 Skid Plate Thread

As in the title
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...m-vs-trex.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode