Windshield Solutions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Windshield Solutions

I am curious if anyone has upgraded their windshields and what the solutions are. The stock unit is ok for my height and there is no helmet buffeting but the helmet is in the wind and keeps shutting my screen if it is hot out and open one notch.

I use the same helmet on my V-Strom 1000 with a Givi Airflow and an MRA on top and the screen never closes. I don't think there is a specific Airflow yet for the 300. I buy all of the Givi stuff straight from Italy because it is about 60% of US cost (paid $93 for the V-Strom 1000 Airflow last Black Friday). I will check over there. Thanks in advance.

I don't see any Givi but I contacted them by email. I see three available but not sure which is the most effective for taller folks.

I see the MRA's on Twisted Throttle. Is the VT Vario Touring Screen tall enough to help?

I also just found this one. It says I need the 20". $229.
https://madstad.com/products/kawasaki-versys-x-300-2017

Not sure how effective these are. California Scientific windshield.
https://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Versys300prod.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SECoda; 11-08-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

It is looking like the Madstad 20" and maybe an MRA on that will be needed to cut the wind. Not enough volume yet for Givi to sell an Airflow for it.

Anyone have a Madstad? Oh well ordered. :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SECoda; 11-09-2017 at 03:23 PM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 04:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
It is looking like the Madstad 20" and maybe an MRA on that will be needed to cut the wind. Not enough volume yet for Givi to sell an Airflow for it.

Anyone have a Madstad? Oh well ordered. :-)

I have the MRA shield with the wing on it. First off, I like the looks of it. second it smooths out the air flow so I get very little helmet buffeting. Pushes the air flow a bit higher than stock so I can ride most roads with my face shield up. Only when I get over about 45mph do I need to put my shield down. A bit expensive but in my opinion, worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2794.jpg (43.1 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2790.jpg (49.2 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2793.jpg (52.1 KB, 204 views)
Fastoman likes this.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
...Pushes the air flow a bit higher than stock so I can ride most roads with my face shield up. Only when I get over about 45mph do I need to put my shield down....
Be careful doing that, as you can get a larger bug thru that layer of air, directly into your eye, as well as other stuff like pebbles....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 03:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Be careful doing that, as you can get a larger bug thru that layer of air, directly into your eye, as well as other stuff like pebbles....
We don't have no stinken bugs up here in Colorado.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

The MRA seemed like the other good option with no Givi Airflow available. Adjust-ability and a taller screen options leaned me towards the Madstad because I am relatively tall and the TA saddle is about 5/8" higher than stock. I still may put the MRA X-creen on top it even if needed like I have on the Airflow on my V-Strom. It's amazing how well that combo works.

Will I need mirror extenders I wonder? I know a good source for those ($18) in the far east. lol

Last edited by SECoda; 11-10-2017 at 04:43 PM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 09:41 PM

Garage
An aftermarket windshield on the Versys will not eliminate turbulence around your helmet, or put you in a pocket of still air, but it will keep more air off your chest, which can be nice in cooler weather or if you do long miles on the freeway.
SECoda likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-10-2017 at 09:45 PM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 10:08 AM

I use a Givi D4114ST and it works well. I can ride with the helmet shield up if I want to with no difficulties but as Eddie pointed out you can still get the occasional bug or bit of junk in the face that way. Not nearly as quiet/still as being behind a batwing fairing on a cruiser but acceptable.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Really? Is that a direct bolt on? Neither Givi USA or Motostorm in Italy (Primary Givi retailer) mentioned it when I asked about a Givi windshield although I was indicating I would prefer an Airflow. I always order from Italy because Givi is about 60% of the US cost. Motostorm sells it for $72.24 translated to USD. I could have saved some serious cash although the Madstad I ordered is very good and adjustable.

https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessor...i-d4114st.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I use a Givi D4114ST and it works well. I can ride with the helmet shield up if I want to with no difficulties but as Eddie pointed out you can still get the occasional bug or bit of junk in the face that way. Not nearly as quiet/still as being behind a batwing fairing on a cruiser but acceptable.
Hi,

givi does not produce any windshield for the 2017 Versys X 300.
You can mount the protection for the engine TN4121
PL4121 is the side case holder.

You can mount these side cases.
https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessor...n-trekker.html

https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessor...-dolomiti.html

Tou can also mount the tank bag tanlock here is the flange
https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessor...tank-bags.html

Best Regards.

Andrea Lenihan
Motostorm srl
Tel. 0541 857848
www.motostorm.it

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 10:53 AM

Ahhhh, you have the 300...........I seem to assume (you do know what that means right) that most folks on this site are riding 650's (my bad). I have a Gen III 650. I am surprised that Givi doesn't make a comparable shield for the 300 yet. It only took them a year to produce ones to fit the Gen III.

My only concern with the Givi was the speed limitation on it.............80 mph if I remember right. I've subsequently had it close to 100 and no problem with the shield.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Received and install the Madstad windshield. Easy and fast. Very high quality. A step up over my Givi Airflow on the V2 but will it work as well. I set it to a 60 degree angle and made the top of the screen equal with my chin as a starting point. It rained this morning but is clear and warm now. Hopefully, it dries up for some testing. It's a good 5" taller than the stock Kawasaki in length and a bit wider but the adjustment range gives it great flexibility.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 04:06 PM

Well - can't say that I like the Madstad shield - too tall, way too wide and then that matte lower part. Know they claim it's anti-glare - I suspect it'll be the opposite ?!

But - make me an adjustable bracket for the original screen - just height adjustability would be fine.
Simple, no nonsence - guess I don't really need it to be toll-less adjustable, as I expect to find the sweet spot and leave it there.
Looking at pics on Madstad's site, I can see that their bracket doesn't fit the mounting holes of the OEM screen.

So - has anybody seen anything that could work ?
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

I was just going to brag on how well the Madstad compares to the Givi Airflow on my V-Strom 1000. The only negative I can detect with the Madstad is the price ($240 for the 20" (Madstad recommended for my height) vs $93 (Black Friday last year) for the Airflow direct from Italy I paid plus a slice more for shipping)). Givi is working on Versys 300 accessories I found out and should have the crash bars out soon.

I tested the Madstad this afternoon for about two hours at various speeds I tested it where the wind matters on the helmet for me - 40 mph, 50, 70, and even about 75 although most of my Ozark riding is 35-50 mph. I adjusted it but ended up close to where I started for the best performance (where Madstad recommended). My Schuberth C3 helmet has a notched screen but the notches aren't that strong in holding position in wind. With the stock windshield the screen would close above 35 mph. With the Madstad I had it open a notch on the interstate at 65 mph. At the end I rode the V2 with the Airflow to compare. The 20" was perfect for my height so I could look right over the top of the windshield to see the road.

After helmet wind/buffeting - the windshield glare is the next biggest nit I dislike. The Givi Airflow has some with the two screens but it is minor. The Madstad has none. IMO they did every right with the Madstad and it is easier to look through than the Airflow being a single screen. They both work in the same way in that a rectangular flow of air between the brackets on the Madstad behind the windshield shoots up to force the wind over the helmet. When it is adjusted for your height correctly it is very effective. The Air flow is a little less sensitive to being adjusted optimally IMO.

I rode without the windshield once before installing and that is how the stock one performs (like there is no ws). lol It isn't doing much other than smoothing the air a bit. At least it doesn't raise the flow to buffet the helmet. Basically, the Madstad performance is comparable to the Airflow for the way I have them both adjusted. The Airflow is actually slightly wider than the Madstad. Since you can adjust the height and angle on the Madstad you can make it optimal for your height. I thought I might need an MRA on the top but I think it is unnecessary from the testing. The Airflow is slightly improved with an MRA on top.

I guess it matters what you are looking for. I wanted to eliminate most of the wind hitting the helmet and as little turbulence as possible and no buffeting. The Madstad does that.

Last edited by SECoda; 11-15-2017 at 04:59 PM.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

From a discussion on another forum the pictures I took with the wide angle on my phone very close make that Madstad windshield look way larger than it is. It is actually smaller than the Airflow on the V-Strom 1000 in the background but you couldn't tell from the picture. The Airflow is wider and the same height. They are both angled right at 60 degrees.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Here are some pictures from a distance of the Madstad to get a better perspective on size. That is a Givi Airflow in the foreground.

Last edited by SECoda; 11-16-2017 at 10:24 AM.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 06:05 PM

Garage
I recently put a very cheap (30 us) wind shield deflector, work fine reducing the noise in my helmet, over 75 miles/hr the original windshield to bend a little bit, in low speed when i pass over pavement junctions or small holes the original windshield shakes notorious. I`m a little bit worry.

best regards,

Andrés C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2018-09-21 at 19.10.08.jpg (10.3 KB, 58 views)

Andrés
Kawasaki Versys X300
Chile
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:24 PM

if you can fit one, better a windscreen spoiler that mounts on two sides to the windscreen. i have a puig spoiler on my givi aftermarket screen on my 2008 650 V. if that center clip fails, your current screen could fly into your helmet !
Andres Chile likes this.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 07:58 AM

Garage
I have the MRA one as well and love it. I have it in clear. It took about two rides to get used to the wing on top. I figure the wing in full "deflection" mode effectively adds about two more inches to the top of the screen regarding wind flow over the top of the windshield. Very solid shield and good mounting hardware. Looks like it means business as well!

CHEAP SOLUTION: Move stock shield even higher by removing the top screw fitting to the bracket and moving it over the top of the adjusting rail, having the lower screw fitting only in the rail. I used this for quite some time and it worked pretty good! Very solid mount as well.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.

Last edited by andyversystheworld; 09-22-2018 at 08:01 AM.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
if you can fit one, better a windscreen spoiler that mounts on TWO sides to the windscreen....
GOOD idea.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 03:14 PM

you're the pilot, eddie, but i can see the "wings" the clip-on spoiler waffling/oscillating in the air stream until some part fails and flies off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode