Crash Bars - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Crash Bars

Looking for protection from fall over rather than any heavy off-road riding. Any recommendations?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 09:56 AM

Garage
South West Moto bars. clean and unobtrusive. Bought mine from Twisted Throttle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2795.jpg (62.5 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2796.jpg (68.0 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2797.jpg (49.9 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2798 (2).jpg (64.8 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2799 (2).jpg (71.1 KB, 231 views)
aboyandhisversys and SECoda like this.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Just ordered them....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
Thatís a nice set up, Iím more impressed with the lift and assortment of bikes. Makes me want to take the rest of the day off and go for a ride.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
Imma second that.

The install instructions are a little, um, European, but once you get past that you're golden. DO observe the torque values when installing.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
Thatís a nice set up, Iím more impressed with the lift and assortment of bikes. Makes me want to take the rest of the day off and go for a ride.
Here is a better picture, Sold the XT350 this past week. Down to three bikes now. Go for it. GO RIDE. You only live once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2803.jpg (62.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2726.jpg (63.7 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1980.jpg (74.5 KB, 177 views)

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I ordered the crash bars from Twisted Throttle and they are back-ordered until next week.

TT told me the Versys-X 300 is the hottest selling bike for them right now. They sellout of accessories on them as soon as they get them in stock.

Last edited by SECoda; 10-23-2017 at 06:07 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 04:05 PM

I like these, if only because I scuffed up my bags pretty bad from a number of drops. I haven't bought them yet, though.

TRex Racing 2015 2017 Kawasaki VERSYS 650 Luggage Guards

2015 650 Versys
Iron Butt Association
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

I ordered the SW-Motech crash bars mainly for a fall-over. I think if significant off-road is intended the T-Rex Engine Guard cages may be the way to go.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

The SW-Motech crash bars from are still back-ordered. Apparently, they are just trickling in to vendors one or two at a time. SW-Motech is moving locations in the UK it says on their web site late in November so I wonder if they may get delayed for a lot longer. I see Givi is coming out with a set and then there is always the OEM.

Does anyone have a preference besides the SW-Motech crash bars. Twisted Throttle never charged me for the back-order and has no other information except that mine would be in the next group whenever that might be.

Update: Spoke to my dealer and they will sell me an OEM one at a discount so I am cancelling my SW-Motech order.

Last edited by SECoda; 11-14-2017 at 04:39 PM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

I just installed the OEM crash bars the dealer had in stock (Kaw calls it an engine guard). He even gave me a 15% discount ($183) and now I have a nice mount for adding some LED's. These reach around under the front and attach to the frame with a supplied bracket. They work great with the T-Rex skid and don't get anywhere near it.

There were like five items the Kawasaki instructions had you remove to install their crash bars. I didn't remove any of them and installed them in just about 45 minutes (there are only six bolts). In this case you will need some 3/8" extensions and a universal (those should be in your tools anyways) to get to the bolt heads from the top. I always use blue thread locker.

fgaston likes this.

Last edited by SECoda; 11-14-2017 at 04:56 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 06:58 AM

SECoda:
I just purchased the OEM crash bars. Thanks for your post indicating not necessary to remove everything Kawasaki suggests-will save a lot of time. Did you end up installing lights on the crash bars? I went with the OEM's given they are designed for these bars & ease of installation, but just wondering if others will work without special brackets. And what can you tell us about the custom seat? Any other mods since you posted this?

Also, how's your off-road experience been on this bike (fire roads or have you gone into single track, sand, etc.), and have the crash bars & T-Rex come in handy?

Cheers, Fred
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Only four questions? That's not too bad. Where are you from Fred? I added a total of 18 FARKLE's I think so far so yes - a few more and I moved things around (because the front fork collapses so much). I am trying to be a bit more frugal on the Versys-X 300 having several bikes at a time like many. I also have a V-Strom 1000 loaded with stuff. Here are some more recent pictures. I post on three motorcycle forums so I sometimes forget what got posted where.

Yes - I mounted some inexpensive non-oem LED lights on crash bars. (for daytime visibility mainly - don't ride much at night exept coming home a little late on long rides)

Custom seat is a Terry Adcox (Terry is a retired Kawasaki/Suzuki dealership owner) - excellent and reasonably priced. The stock seat may be the weakest/most painful item on the bike although their raised optional seat gets a lot better reviews.

The Versys-X 300 is fabulous on fire roads (different tires should make it even better) but I stick to the dry groomed gravel/dirt ones pretty much. It is much better than the heavy V-Strom when you get off-road. The only rocks hitting the T-Rex are flying ones from the front tire. I don't ride true off-road much any longer. I used to have an off-road/dual sport Yamaha for that although the Versys-X can handle moderate off-road riding. I just think it is too nice for that. Mine has ABS.

It is also fabulous on the tight (paved) twisties we are blessed with here in the Ozarks. I live in them (my neighborhood has two steep hair-pin turns just to get out of). It's hard to find a straight road at times. Luckily, snow and ice is pretty rare. Overall, Kawasaki really did the Versys-X 300 right. Light yet nearly full-sized and plenty of power. I wish Suzuki did some of the little extras that Kaw does like a radiator guard and a tank protector for the front of the seat, etc..

I have looked at changing the gearing like some do but I am getting used to it as is. When possible on level ground I take off in 2nd with 1st so low. Yet on some rougher fire roads I am in 1st a lot and it is about right. It passes well at 70-75 mph as geared. You just have to get used to the high rpm's the Ninja 300 likes to run at. It is very smooth. Really, it is a personal preference thing. IMO fuel mileage is decent as it.

The V-Strom 1000 (2014)
fgaston likes this.

Last edited by SECoda; 02-13-2018 at 08:43 AM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 04:51 PM

SECoda:
Yes only 4 questions, as I didn't want to put you off in first post! My bike is at my secondary house in Charleston, but I live in CT. I have to wait weeks between getting down there to ride, which is painful. Don't know too much about Ozarks, but hear the area is beautiful. Your bikes look great-thanks for posting the pics and you're blessed to have the V-Strom as well.

Would you mind posting links to source the non-OEM lights and seat? (and any other bits you recommend....is that GPS on the Versys?

I should probably temper my expectations re: off-road use, per your comments. I bought the bike to be able to ride to and on trails in a state park that takes 1 hour to get to. I hear though that it's technical and has some deep sand, and depending on the day even MX bikes get their butt kicked. Given that, probably should abandon thoughts of trying to make the bike into something it isn't in terms of conquering those trails.

I did order the 15 tooth sprocket, as I did feel 1st was kind of useless and RPM's were very high just doing 60, but maybe I should give it more time, based on your input, before retiring the 14.

Cheers, Fred
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

I am so sorry - living in CT I mean. Just kidding. I retired from Cigna in Bloomfield but never lived there.

I spoke to the Kawasaki rep at the motorcycle show about a month ago and he talked me out of the sprocket change for now. The jury is still out for me.

You will definitely need some other tires for deep sand. They took Versys-X 300's across Morocco and the central desert in Australia so I have little doubt it will do it. You will need a skid. For hardcore off-road there is a new one out there if I can find the link that is tough. My T-Rex is good but not quite as strong for banging on the rocks.

The cheap LEDs, the Chinese clone GPS, and the wiring harness I used were on EBay for the Versys. The V-Strom has Denali DR1s and Mondomoto's and a Zumo 665 GPS. I will see if I can find the links on EBay.

Terry Adcox seats are excellent. The stock Versys-X 300 seat stinks (hurts).
https://www.terryscustomseats.com/

I have to finish smoking a chicken on the pellet grill but will fill in the blanks later.

Last edited by SECoda; 02-13-2018 at 07:51 PM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:34 PM

Garage
Fgaston & SECoda,
The other skid plate you're thinking about is probably the Rocochet. It's designed a little differently than the T-Rex and has beefier supports + a rubber shock absorber on the bottom.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

That's it (Ricochet). It's a little thicker too. To be fair it is double the price but if you need it you need it.

I bought these items on EBay for the Versys.

Mirror extenders
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=1618315308010

Wiring harness with relay for LEDs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auxillary-l...53.m2749.l2649

Chinese clone GPS (Android tablet but water proof)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-0-Android...53.m2749.l2649

LED Lights (they come with handlebar switch I used)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-18w-Le...53.m2749.l2649

Adjustable hand levers (but for Versys 300)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-kawasak...item3d33c78136

From T-Rex - Skid
https://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=1366

Givi tank lock ring so I can use my Givi tank bag (20L) on either bike.

Madstad windshield which is excellent as well (better than the Givi Airflow on my V-Strom by a bit)

Givi 30L top case and a Givi case mount.

A OEM set of engine guards (crash bars) and OEM centerstand.

Knight Rider (Kit) type light above the license plate.

3M Clear Paint Protector film on the tank. It looks the same but protects like a tank protectpr from the knees and the tank bag, etc..

The OEM relay and a Bikemaster 12v Power outlet

A dual USB aluminum adapter with a built-in voltage meter

A Runcam 2 action 1080P camera on the front.

A Battery Tender adapter straight to the battery attached on the frame for easy access,

Whew - I think counting the seat that is 18 (so far). Not sure on the sprocket. Maybe if someone convinces me. lol

Some front fender accessories are under development by AdventureTech like a fork brace (the Versys-X 300 wanders a bit beyond 80 mph). They also sell other things like a GPS mount. The Madstad windshield has holes for a Ram ball that serves as a GPS mount mine is using.
tfrazie likes this.

Last edited by SECoda; 02-13-2018 at 08:12 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 06:57 AM

SECoda: many thanks for sharing details on all your FARKLE'S. Very impressive! Regarding the Chinese LED's, did you have to get separate mounting brackets, as doesn't look like they come with them. And would the wiring harness for the LED's be challenging if you're not knowledgeable on wiring? Any opinion on whether to tint the windshield, and if so how much? Thanks again, Fred
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Those LED's came with the mount brackets and a handlebar switch. I just needed the right bolts to attach them to the OEM crash bars.

The wiring harness is simple. The main red wire goes back to the battery for the power to the lights, The black wire goes to ground or the negative on the battery, the single switch wire goes to a switched power source (I used the same power for the 12v power outlet) to turn the relay on and off, the other two leads go to the lights. There are a few wires in there for the switch you won't use.

I never tint the windshields. There isn't much road glare coming back. Ideally, one looks just over the top edge of the windshield to ride. Clear is also better at night to see right in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgaston View Post
SECoda: many thanks for sharing details on all your FARKLE'S. Very impressive! Regarding the Chinese LED's, did you have to get separate mounting brackets, as doesn't look like they come with them. And would the wiring harness for the LED's be challenging if you're not knowledgeable on wiring? Any opinion on whether to tint the windshield, and if so how much? Thanks again, Fred

Last edited by SECoda; 02-14-2018 at 09:17 AM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
...The wiring harness is simple. The main red wire goes back to the battery for the power to the lights, The black wire goes to ground or the negative on the battery, the single switch wire goes to a switched power source (I used the same power for the 12v power outlet) to turn the relay on and off, the other two leads go to the lights. There are a few wires in there for the switch you won't use....
fgaston - on my Vs I used the light to the DRLs (daytime running lights) as the "switched" power source for the relay, so NOTHING stays ON when the ignition is turned OFF.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode