X300 Tested on and off rd - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
X300 Tested on and off rd

I have had my x300 for a while now. It has 1200 km on it.
My thoughts so far..

On back roads this is a cool littl bike. Sounds like an F1 car running though the gears at high RPM
Handles corners better than I would have expected.

On the highway I would like to see it run along at a little lower RPM. I find it hard to believe it could last very long at these high RPMs
Now considering this , it is one cool ass motor. So smooth and so willing to rev. Such a wide working RPM range.

On the dirt.
I was out on some fire roads today and found the bike sliding all over like riding on marbles.
The ride was very rough.
I decided to try lowering the tire pressure to aprox 10 psi.
The ride was immediately improved and my running speed increased to around 50 mph.
But I did still have issues with harsh bottoming of the front forks on potholes. These potholes were not anything that would have unsettled a true dirt bike. But hit very hard on the versys. A true weak spot n the design.

As for the motor.........this is one of the best 4 stroke motors I have ever run in the dirt. Who would have figured a twin cyl screamer would be such an impressive dirt bike motor.
I slowed down for a rough section and once cleared of the big rocks I twisted my wrist and fanned the clutch. The back tire broke loose and I shifted into 3rd and continued to spin until I hit 10k when all hell broke loose and the rear of the bike tried to pass me. It was like the top end rush you get from a high strung 2 stroke.
This motor in a dirt bike with long travel suspension would be absolutely WICKED......

Now on the other hand give me a versys with longer travel suspension pls . Because even at 59 I still like to go fast get some air and slide around turns on dirt roads. And this motor is light and a dream in the dirt. It was very very Inpressive.
Picture yourself at 10k rpm all sideways at 10/10ths with a roster tail of dirt spraying from the rear tire.

Kawasaki pls add updated suspension to the list of goodies for the X300. Because if you do, the Versys becomes one hell of a wicked kick ass dirt bike..... or at least one of the very best any road any time best selling little monsters ever produced..

I did come out of this with one issue........ since my high speed off road adventure the versys is now sitting much lower...
I can touch flat footed now wear I couldn't before this excursion... seems I may have compressed the springs....

What can I say
Wow
So much more potential in the off road is just waiting to be released from this bike...
I can't emphasize this enough....

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0067.jpg (131.5 KB, 65 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Very nice write up. Thanks!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe you were having so much fun you grew a few inches

Deep in Cajun Country

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 AM

Garage
Nice write up, but I would never take mine off road. You can't hardly find a gravel road here.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Having recently ridden an X300 back to back with a KLR I can't help but think the X300 is an improved replacement for the KLR.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Having recently ridden an X300 back to back with a KLR I can't help but think the X300 is an improved replacement for the KLR.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
yeah, that's how I feel about mine, the KLR I always wanted.

"Go Big Or Stay Home"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsx300 View Post
I have had my x300 for a while now. It has 1200 km on it.
My thoughts so far..

on the highway I would like to see it run along at a little lower RPM. I find it hard to believe it could last very long at these high RPMs.....

Rob
lots of kids on Ninja 300's have run their bikes flat out for multiple seasons keeping up with their friends on larger displacement sport bikes. Have 1100 miles on the clock now, so have been running mine up past 12k ( where is the rev limiter? haven't hit it yet if I keep her, guess I should look into upgrading the suspension

"Go Big Or Stay Home"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode