thinking 'bout trading her in - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

thinking 'bout trading her in

Love the X300, still, a bit under powered on the freeway. Thinking about trading her in on a FJ-09, keep it pretty light, way plenty of juice for Cali freeways. Opinions?

"Go Big Or Stay Home"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 11:27 AM

Garage
If you're looking at the FJ-09 take a look at the Versys 1000...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 12:36 PM

I test rode an FJ09............scary fast but the selective engine mode is pretty nice.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Have been, would be more inclined to the 650. 29" inseam, 155 lbs. the 1K is a great bike, for long, luggage laden riding, but too heavy for seat height ( I know it can be lowered, no thanks on killing the lean angle, already have a powerful decent handling bike without enuff). worried a 650 will be another great bike Ill end up wanting to trade for lack of enuff oomph- my 670 lb Harley's 100+ lbs of torque at the rear wheel makes it tough to be satisfied, in a visceral fashion,I guess

"Go Big Or Stay Home"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 10:59 AM

Garage
If you do, please post how much they will give you on trade, just curious with the new rebate in effect

Deep in Cajun Country
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 12:16 PM

Garage
The 300X is not selling well in my area. In fact dual sports in general don't sell that well compared to locations where there is a lot of federal land to ride on.

Two dealers I have talked to haven't sold one yet.

To the OP, I sure wish Yamaha would bring a baby tenere based on the FZ-07 to the states. I love my FZ-07 but it is not good if you have to do any interstate time.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 12:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
The 300X is not selling well in my area. In fact dual sports in general don't sell that well compared to locations where there is a lot of federal land to ride on.

Two dealers I have talked to haven't sold one yet.

To the OP, I sure wish Yamaha would bring a baby tenere based on the FZ-07 to the states. I love my FZ-07 but it is not good if you have to do any interstate time.
That's what I thought- in my area not one has sold which means low trade in value- I think overall they are not selling well-and that's why the $500 rebate was started so soon-I like the bike and if it was not for the spoke wheels it would be on my short list for next small bike-maybe a little couch time might help with my fear of spoke wheels on a street bike

Deep in Cajun Country

Last edited by motorboy; 09-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
That's what I thought- in my area not one has sold which means low trade in value- I think overall they are not selling well-and that's why the $500 rebate was started so soon-I like the bike and if it was not for the spoke wheels it would be on my short list for next small bike-maybe a little couch time might help with my fear of spoke wheels on a street bike
Is it a fear of spoke wheels or of running tubes? I run tubes on 3 of my bikes and don't give it a second thought. But all three bikes are never taken on road trips. They are no more than 60 miles from home. Yes, it is easier to plug a tubeless tire and ride the bike home if you have the kit and pump, but having tow service on your insurance gives peace of mind.

Of course by the time you call the tow service, and wait for them to arrive, you might could have pulled the wheel and patched the tube and been back on the road.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...maybe a little couch time might help with my fear of spoke wheels on a street bike....
Quote:
Is it a fear of spoke wheels or of running tubes? I run tubes on 3 of my bikes and don't give it a second thought. But all three bikes are never taken on road trips. They are no more than 60 miles from home. Yes, it is easier to plug a tubeless tire and ride the bike home if you have the kit and pump, but having tow service on your insurance gives peace of mind.

Of course by the time you call the tow service, and wait for them to arrive, you might could have pulled the wheel and patched the tube and been back on the road.
I've mentioned several times that I converted the spoked, tube-type wheels on my '04 KLR650 to tubeless.

IF you're interested I can post up pics and a description of HOW I did it.... BTW - it worked GREAT, but took a week or two from start-to-finish (putting silicone-seal in, waiting for it to "cure", then removal/ re-installation of tires after checking for leaks around spokes).

Would I do it AGAIN if I had another "tubed" bike?

In a word - YES.

Please PM me that you'd like me to do it, IF you're interested.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 06:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I've mentioned several times that I converted the spoked, tube-type wheels on my '04 KLR650 to tubeless.

IF you're interested I can post up pics and a description of HOW I did it.... BTW - it worked GREAT, but took a week or two from start-to-finish (putting silicone-seal in, waiting for it to "cure", then removal/ re-installation of tires after checking for leaks around spokes).

Would I do it AGAIN if I had another "tubed" bike?

In a word - YES.

Please PM me that you'd like me to do it, IF you're interested.
I've only ever gotten one flat with tube tires and that was on the OEM tube. I put heavy duty tubes in after that since I don't worry about going over 55 with those bikes.
turn8a likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 12:00 AM

Garage
I should have been a bit clearer spokes wheels I like it's the tubes-had a near death experience about 35 years ago on a Harley Super Glide rear flat- rapid air lost which turned into a tank slapper- I saved it not sure how and I was only going 45mph-fast forward about 10 years ago on the interstate a Harley in front of me about 50 yards at 70mph watched the bike go into a tank slapper as the rear tire came off the rim ..he died.. I know all about the kits to turn spoke wheels to run without tubes-which are still mainly for off road- problem is any way you do it you still don't have the safety bead on the rim-tire can still come off-I get a flat about every 3 years only one time did it go flat on the road easy fix got home- all other time's-tubeless tires- didn't know it until I tried to go for a ride-I check my tires before each ride
quexpress likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 PM

When I read the title of your post I thought you were going to be talking about your wife or girlfriend. How wrong can I be.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've only ever gotten one flat with tube tires and that was on the OEM tube. I put heavy duty tubes in after that since I don't worry about going over 55 with those bikes.
One of the MAJOR causes of flats in 'tubed' tires is when the tire 'slips' on the rim and then RIPS the valve out of the tube. There is NO WAY you can FIX that - you need another tube.

The wheels coming from the factory w/ the little nut on the valve TIGHTENED down to the rim is a direct cause of it, and MOST riders don't know to loosen them UP to 'lock' the valve-cap, which then will give you a visual indication of the tire slipping, as NOW your valve is no longer at 90 degrees to the rim.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 04:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
One of the MAJOR causes of flats in 'tubed' tires is when the tire 'slips' on the rim and then RIPS the valve out of the tube. There is NO WAY you can FIX that - you need another tube.

The wheels coming from the factory w/ the little nut on the valve TIGHTENED down to the rim is a direct cause of it, and MOST riders don't know to loosen them UP to 'lock' the valve-cap, which then will give you a visual indication of the tire slipping, as NOW your valve is no longer at 90 degrees to the rim.
Mine was from a piece of metal that blended in with the road surface. Rapid deflation and glad I had both hands on the grips and was sitting near the tank. I was going about 45.

I don't air down my tires but a few lbs when dual sporting. I am just exploring, not riding aggressively.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
yes, an FJ-07: perfect. FZ-07 sounds like a great bike, checked out one when I was looking at the FJ-09, felt lighter then the X300. With almost twice the horsepower /torque and a reputed well sorted suspension, I think that would be plenty visceral enough while being versatile. Know all about riding naked on the freeway, do it for 30-50 mile stretches with 12" ape hangers on my Dyna, there are tricks to making it easier, but a windshield makes a big difference. Still a lot of wind drama- 90 mph pretty intense updraft. The X300 in comparison at 90 mph is relatively drama free as far as the oncoming air, although it is much more susceptible to side winds. I see some small aftermarket wind screens for the FZ-07...

"Go Big Or Stay Home"
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
... which then will give you a visual indication of the tire slipping, as NOW your valve is no longer at 90 degrees to the rim.
To clarify - IF your tire 'slips' on the rim, then the valve will tilt AWAY from 90 degrees, thus indicating you need to fix it.

Using that nut to 'lock' the valve cap was an enduro 'trick' I learned MANY years ago....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

$3200 trade-in value

"Go Big Or Stay Home"
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDbob View Post
$3200 trade-in value
Doesn't sound like you dealer is too thrilled to take it back

Deep in Cajun Country
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

That was trade-in at a triumph dealer, had a nice '15 G 650 GS I was looking at. Kawa dealer is still sitting on the abs demo model, might be even less there. Cheaper to keep her, sling some aftermarket suspension and stuff on, maybe put a ninja 400 engine in her later if it'll fit

"Go Big Or Stay Home"
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDbob View Post
$3200 trade-in value
Quote:
Doesn't sound like you dealer is too thrilled to take it back
He is in business to make a profit. You are always better off selling a bike on your own.

If the dealer usually tacks on crazy fees on new bikes, then he is more apt to give a little more because he can sell a slightly used bike closer to MSRP since the buyer won't have to pay all the crazy fees. I have a dealer that I have gone and test rode several bikes over the years, but have never been able to buy a new bike from them. They were always beat out by another dealer by 20% OTD. Those willing to look around and travel a little get the better prices.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode