Installed the Yoshimura R-77 slip-on exhaust on my Versys X300 ABS - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Urbanengineer
  • 1 Post By asaulo1
  • 1 Post By tfrazie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Installed the Yoshimura R-77 slip-on exhaust on my Versys X300 ABS

UPS just delivered my brand new Yoshi R-77 slip on exhaust. Installed it as soon as I got home from work. Install was pretty straightforward and instructions were very easy to follow. Was surprised that the stock exhaust was very heavy. I would say it's a good 5-7 lbs heavier than the Yoshi can. I have to say that the setup looks pretty clean once it's installed. Took it for a quick spin and I really like how it sounds now. Even some pop when you let off the gas. Anyway, I will post a more thorough review once we do a road trip this weekend. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sounds good. Make sure to get a fuel controller that way you don't burn the exhaust valves and have hotspots .
asaulo1 likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Here's a longer video with some sound clips plus a ride around the block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Urbanengineer likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
Sounds good. Make sure to get a fuel controller that way you don't burn the exhaust valves and have hotspots .

Does this slip-on flow that much air without a hiflo air cleaner? I really don't know. It might not be a bad idea in combination with a performance air cleaner but again, I really don't know. But intuition and general reading tells me, however wrong it may be, that with just a slipon and not a full exhaust, that a power commander or some such controller, will be an expense that could be dispensed! I guess I'm just saying some research is in order.

If anyone actually knows, I'm all ears and eager to learn.
jojofett.an likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrazie View Post
Does this slip-on flow that much air without a hiflo air cleaner? I really don't know. It might not be a bad idea in combination with a performance air cleaner but again, I really don't know. But intuition and general reading tells me, however wrong it may be, that with just a slipon and not a full exhaust, that a power commander or some such controller, will be an expense that could be dispensed! I guess I'm just saying some research is in order.

If anyone actually knows, I'm all ears and eager to learn.
Some bikes when you "just install a slipon" you are just replacing the end pipe. I don't know the Versys-X 300 at all, but if you are removing the catalytic converter you should absolutely be tuning.

If you aren't dealing with the cat anymore then don't worry about it! Enjoy!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 06:41 AM

I don't know how the ECU is programmed, but it should be able to compensate for some extra flow.

I have more experience on cars, it's rarely needed to reprogram just because of fitting a test pipe or new air filter.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:01 AM

Funny how the 1000 and 300 have a large can and the 650, almost nothing!

Sounds good though!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:27 AM

Garage
Pipes like that always sound great while going up and down the throttle and gears but in my experience get droney on a long trip.
I'd also like it more if it were two or three octaves lower.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 09:15 PM

I too have installed the Yosh slip-on and have to say I love it. Due to my paranoid concern of valve burning and to decrease the erratic popping on decel I installed a power commander. With the stock fuel map on the module, I noticed a world of difference. Chiefly, the engine temp runs much more reasonably. It runs at 4/6 bars in town or on hotter days (90°F) and I don't think I've even seen the fifth bar. In addition, the popping was reduced to a bearable level. Most awesome of all, I got a noticeable power boost (~10% more) throughout the whole RPM range. As an added bonus, the exhaust sound is a lower pitch; more of a performance bike than a riceburner. All in all, I would say the power commander is the best value upgrade on this little bike other than changing the seat!
I do intend on installing an autotune kit to perfect the tuning, however I need to enlist the help of a good welder to replace the O2 sensor mount in the pipe.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:55 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedtime Sneakers View Post
I too have installed the Yosh slip-on and have to say I love it. Due to my paranoid concern of valve burning and to decrease the erratic popping on decel I installed a power commander. With the stock fuel map on the module, I noticed a world of difference. Chiefly, the engine temp runs much more reasonably. It runs at 4/6 bars in town or on hotter days (90°F) and I don't think I've even seen the fifth bar. In addition, the popping was reduced to a bearable level. Most awesome of all, I got a noticeable power boost (~10% more) throughout the whole RPM range. As an added bonus, the exhaust sound is a lower pitch; more of a performance bike than a riceburner. All in all, I would say the power commander is the best value upgrade on this little bike other than changing the seat!
I do intend on installing an autotune kit to perfect the tuning, however I need to enlist the help of a good welder to replace the O2 sensor mount in the pipe.
What did you get for a power commander? I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I can't seem to find the right model... Appreciate the help!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:18 AM

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-300-2017-2018
This is the one I got. And while it is expensive, I would say worth every penny. Also, I must say it is a fairly simple install which was refreshing.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:10 AM

Though this thread is a little old, I'm wondering how you feel the exhaust is after some time?
Any info on how much of a power increase you are actually getting? Doesn't seem like Yoshi has a dyno chart to look at. Are the power increases with or without a baffle in?
I'd rather by Made in the USA, but the Akro exhaust at least give you some info on what to expect on increases.

Thanks!

Wherever you go, there you are
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Have a Yoshi installed way back in 2010 and still good after 61k Km on the bike. Fuel wise , no changes notice , horsepower more or less the same as i didn't do Dyno on the bike.

The Yoshi is lighter then the OE and sound great with baffle in -85db.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:09 PM

I like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode