Gas mileage ? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 11:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifted View Post
Kinda feeling that this forum is a bunch of clueless Ned Flander's. Ongoing, very active discussions of gas mileage of a motorcycle!

I post questions about the x 300 - no response. So , is this a kinda goof right ? just want to know before I stop bothering your site.
So what's your question that's bugging you so much-just because a lot of us ride 650's does not mean we can't answer questions about the 300X

Deep in Cajun Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 06:09 PM

I'ts specific to the 300. I honestly cannot think that gas mileage in the conus is worthy of any discussion what so ever. I did receive my answer though.

just shaking my head realizing that people are comparing MPG on motorcycles.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-07-2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Languge posted in the video goes against the rules of this forum **Thanks to unstable_rider
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So you get gas for free?

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'ts specific to the 300. I honestly cannot think that gas mileage in the conus is worthy of any discussion what so ever...just shaking my head realizing that people are comparing MPG on motorcycles....
I can think of MANY reasons to want to know what your mileage is:

- the Dempster Hwy from Dawson City, YT to Inuvik, NT for instance, and I'm SURE that here are many other situations where knowing your "range" BEFORE you start a ride could save a LOT of walking...!

BESIDES - it's nice to be able to 'OUT-green' some of those "weenies" driving solo in a Prius w/ a smug look on their faces....

unstable_rider and JeffR!1234 like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-27-2017 at 03:10 PM.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 04:06 PM

" Range " and gas mileage are two separate things-
I don't ride a bike to "out-green " anyone- I really
am not into out - greening anyone.
ps . In my text I specifically stated Conus....

Last edited by shifted; 08-27-2017 at 04:10 PM.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Kinda feeling that this forum is a bunch of clueless Ned Flander's. Ongoing, very active discussions of gas mileage of a motorcycle!

I post questions about the x 300 - no response. So , is this a kinda goof right ? just want to know before I stop bothering your site.
So take this as a warning, lately a thread was closed because it became personal, we are all suppose to be adults here, at least old enough to get a license. Sometimes members post without looking closely at the forum / model of bike, keep in mind the original forum was the Versys 650, then the V1000 was added, now the X300. Sometimes patience is required, as we aren't all tech support personnel here, we joined because we own a Versys and like to share knowledge. If you aren't happy with this site you can leave at any time and if you continue I can help you.
Beezerboy, tzoykas, Smiley and 3 others like this.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 01:24 PM

When I ride the 45-55 mph backroads I will get 60 mpg but on the interstate when going about 75 mph it will drop to about 50 mpg. But then again I have to be able to get up to speed very quickly on the bay area interstates. If I am just going at a relaxed rate of 60-65 mph I will get 55 mpg. So that is good for me since I seem to get lower numbers and also since I live in California. It seems the 'clean gas' always gets the worst numbers.

As for the discussion of mpg's....I think it is a very valid topic since some of us do want a bike that will get good mileage. It is but 'one' reason that we choose a bike. It is not the only reason but an important one. Why someone would call us names is beyond me but I'm glad "one wizard' (moderator) stepped in. I think if I rode at a relaxed ride I would get close to 250 miles for range. I just haven't had the chance yet to go for a long ride yet.

Ride safe,

JeffR

CalSci Windshield X-Large
52L Top Case
15 Tooth Counter Sprocket
1" Bar risers
Ergo Tall Seat
575 miles so far on bike
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:15 PM

Garage
Versys 300 !!!
Gas mileage and range are good questions.
The fuel gauge is inaccurate and not linear and it is tiny for my old eyes.
I use the trip meter for range guesstimates.

My experience is 55-65 mpg, so average I count on is 60mpg and 200 mile range. Largest fillup for me was 3.5 gallons. Higher rpm you are burning more gas, its that simple. If you want maximum mileage ride at 35 mph in sixth gear, my auto CTX shifts to sixth at 39mph .... lol

I sometimes ride with people that have 6-8 gallon tanks and secretly they welcome me as an excuse to stop and fillup ,in reality their range is approximate to mine.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
5,000 + miles, 90% hard surface riding.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 10:21 AM

Garage
JuneBug only has a little over 2,500 miles so far and over the past 16 recorded fuel-ups I've averaged about 57 MPG. In the beginning I was disappointed to get 45-50 MPG. Then there was a noticeable jump in MPG after the oil was switched from regular to synthetic, and now it's averaging between 60-64 MPG. Like others have said, driving style makes a difference also. Aggressive driving and faster speeds mean less fuel economy. But the change to synthetic oil allows me to travel interstate and still make roughly 200 miles on a full tank. Most recently I've gone 232 miles on a tank! That's the kind of riding I hoped for when I bought this puppy and am glad it's living up to expectations.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:13 PM

Garage
mileage is a factor in bike purchase for many. knowing the actual mileage a bike can do is important for trip planning... critical in some plces. it is also a diagnostic tool... had a friend top off & barely make it to the next station 135 miles away (Denali Hiway) because the last 100 miles of dirt road was the straw that broke the camel's back. a plugged air filter causing high consumption. if he had been watching his mileage drop before getting out on the lonesome, he might have caught it. it wasn't the last 100 miles, it was the previous 3 weeks of heavy dirt driving
LuvNot likes this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:04 PM

I filled up today with 4.11 gallons and had ridden for 262.5 miles = 63.86 mpg. The bike was ridden moderately not exceeding 65mph and I am 6'4" 220lbs.
post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:14 PM

Red face 75 mpg for over 4,197 miles...

Although I have placed my 300 up for sale thru no fault of the bike...I felt like I needed to post my gas mileage details...

I am 72 years old, 6' tall and weigh 155#, I've been riding for 55 years and enjoy my slower pace in life these days (Retired)...I purchased the x-300 in late April of 2018...I had been riding a Honda NC 700 X dct since 2014 (which I have averaged over 80 mpg for close to 30,000 miles)...I became intrigued with this little Kawasaki and when I test rode it the clutch action was so easy and light, I felt could manually shift again, even with the advancing arthritis in both hands...
90% of my riding these days is between 3AM and 5AM,at speeds of 35 to 50 mph on the backroads of York County,SC...I do this because I much prefer to deal with the wildlife that time of day rather than the "Hordes" of distracted drivers that begin filling the roads around Charlotte after 6am every day...and the fact that I can ride SLOWLY with out upsetting other drivers...

About the gas mileage...I use only 89 NON-ETHANOL fuel...I took a two gallon jug with me to put in the bike on the test ride...Then bought the bike, and it has NEVER had ANY corn gas in its belly...I put 4197 miles on it since my April Purchase and have written down every tank of fuel since day 1...

I fill up at the same station and the same pump on almost every refill...I put the bike on the center stand and fill it until it barely cover's the metal plate in the top of the gas tank...then I write down the miles covered and the exact amount of fuel used( to the 100th)...I don't know of ANY other way to ACCURATELY check fuel economy...My average fuel usage indicator on the bike is off by at least 5 or 6% as it shows over 80 mpg on every tank...

I probably ride much slower than most of you...So my averaging 75 mpg is not indicative of the way most of you ride...My average speed over the 4100+ miles has probably been around 45 mph...My bike has never seen rpm's above 8000...It has never seen any speed over 60 mph...

I just wanted you all to know that 75 mpg is not only do-able but has been DONE for 4,197 miles (With the exception of the first 3 tanks during break-in, which were all in the mid to upper 60's...

If any of you are interested in further details as to why I am selling the bike, check out my ad in the classified's...

I would also like to thank you ALL for providing so much detailed info about the bike that was extremely helpful when I was making my decision to purchase it in the first place...I hope this fuel economy info is helpful to some of you... Rick (okeydokeyo)
CA200 and Pekes17 like this.
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I started this and did not want it to turn into a bad thing. Just like okeydokey I am retired and
live on a very fixed income so what I spend on my fun time is important. Funny thing I have had the 300 a year now and I just bought a CTX700 dct in June . Been getting 70 mpg +
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:28 PM

Garage
Say gas costs 3 bucks a gallon

If you get 10 mpg in your truck you spend 30 cents a mile
if you get 20 mpg in your car you spend 15 cents a mile and save 15 cents a mile over your truck
If you get 40 on your big bike, you spend 7 1/2 cents a mile and save another 7 1/2 cents a mile
If you get 60 on your little bike, you spend a nickel a mile and save another 2 1/2 cents
If you squeeze 70 out of your tinkertoy you can save another eight tenths of a cent

Gas savings rapidly diminishes to inconsequential as mpg goes up.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:06 PM

I think I've figured out this mpg puzzle as I hadn't achieved the gas mileage I was expecting when I first bought the bike.

So, finally knowing that my odometer was accurate, running on a 15T front sprocket, and now experimenting with 91 octane ethanol-free gas, yesterday I rode 160kms (100 miles) on a winding, slow road to test and see if what kind of mpg I could achieve.

Like Okeydokeyo's post above, I've been fairly meticulous about recording mpg since day one. And the best mileage I experienced were in the early days while riding conservatively during break-in - and I hadn't yet changed the sprocket. My best tankfull was approx 74 mpg (imp = 60 mpg US), using 10% ethanol (87 octane) regular gas.

After going to 15T and riding a little faster on the hwy, my mileage slipped to about 70mpg (56 mpg US) and lately, riding faster, to about 66mpg (53 mpg US).

So yesterday I was on my 2nd tank of ethanol free 91 octane gas, with about 72 kms already on the trip odometer since fill-up. I rode 80kms (50 miles) from my place outside of Victoria BC to Jordon River, (not River Jordan) and then back again, 160 kms total. I probably averaged about 55 - 75 kmph (35 - 45 mph) with the occasional 90 - 100 kmph bursts to pass or short hwy sections. There was a bit of stop and go, but mostly steady meandering following light traffic. Beautiful day, about 50 degrees F.

BTW, the v-x 300 seat is uncomfortable after 1 hr+... I'm 5'9, 170 lbs, for the record. After stopping @ JR, I took a picture of my dash, grabbed a coffee, stretched and rode back home.

I filled up after the ride and calculated 79.67 mpg! (63.75 mpg US). I had started with 72km already on trip A odo and that was mostly hwy...100kmph.

I stopped @ Jordon River @ 152 and refueled @ 230. My total fuel consumption for 230kms was 8.162L @ C$1.489/L = C$12.15 ( = 2.156 gal US @ = US$4.21/gal premium = US$9.17 ) $US = $1.325 CDN.

So, as previously stated by okeydokeyo, whisperquiet and others, the moral of the story is keeping the speed and RPMs down (below 6,000) and one can achieve better gas mileage...i.e; go 70kmph in 6th.

Below are some pics of my dash readings - (1) after reaching my destination, (2) at the gas station, (3) looking south to Washington State and Olympic mountains. Notice how skewed the range computer is in 1st pic - this is after the last 30kms, plodding along at about 70kmph...computer thinks I can go another 515kms!

I'm impressed with CA200's claim of 70mpg US = (84mpg imp) on a CTX700.

Thanks for listening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-01-14-10-29-06_resized.jpg (17.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-01-14-10-29-34_resized.jpg (19.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-01-14-11-49-55_resized.jpg (20.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Pekes17; 01-14-2019 at 06:30 PM. Reason: syntax, spelling, clarity, rambling...
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW - on my LAST BC ride on 05 Oct '18, I filled-up at the end and got 68 mpgImp [54 mpgUS] riding my '15 V650LT.

AND I've had higher mpg numbers!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:06 PM

Hey Fasteddie, what kind of gasoline are you burning, i.e; octane and ethanol content? Have you ever experimented with ethanol vs non-ethanol?

Curious - thanks.
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:19 PM

Pekes, I've been running what is supposed to be ethanol-free mid-grade in my V650 and my car (Subaru). 88 Octane iirc. In theory, ethanol-free has about 6% more energy per gallon than ethanol-blended gas (about 10% ethanol blend here). The difference in cost per gallon is around 10% currently. Last summer the prices were closer, about 6%, making it cost neutral.

In my Subaru there seems to be zero difference in fuel economy between ethanol-free or 10% ethanol. Idk why that would be unless the ECU somehow compensates, or the gas actually isn't ethanol free.

In the 2015 V650 there is some difference, probably not quite the 6% difference in energy content per gallon.

The car and bike get gas from different stations because of where I tend to drive vs ride.

Regarding octane, you get the most efficient energy extraction when the octane is the lowest which will run properly in your engine. I'm sure there are multiple caveats nowadays due to all the electronics on board these days, and who knows what the software modifies. Still, you will not get more miles per gallon out of premium because the octane is quite a bit higher than necessary. Ideally, get exactly the minimum octane your owner's manual specifies if you want the best fuel economy, assuming normal riding conditions (not racing, not hauling a trailer, etc).

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 01-15-2019 at 03:24 PM.
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:19 PM

Garage
I take Ryan's (FortNine) view, "You actually give a sh*t about saving gas on a motorcycle?"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...SuFzCZjfK2C7dQ

If I were to keep track, I could probably brag about having the lowest mileage here.

"..the moral of the story is keeping the speed and RPMs down (below 6,000) and one can achieve better gas mileage."
But where's the fun!!? Why have a motorcycle- there are cars that get better mileage than the V... but they're slow, don't lean into curves and they have roofs.

Excuse me here, I'm just "taking the piss" as the Brits say, having a bit of fun.

Carry on with the thread, in fact, I'll throw in some MPG advice.

The best gas mileage is walking.
onewizard likes this.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:29 PM

Thanks Fasteddie.

And Smiley, I hear you. I'm a fan of Ryan @ FortNine. I believe in 'usable power' - partly why I bought the V-x. But I also bought it to commute to work (an excuse to ride everyday) - my going-to-work ride in is in the dark and I don't want to hit a deer or other road kill so I don't want to ride too aggressive @ 6AM. I can take a hwy or twisty back road

More than anything I wanted to know (for myself) what it takes to achieve 80mpg, you know - optimal speed, gearing, gasoline, rpm and odometer accuracy after sprocket change.

Anyway, now I know. What I do with that time will tell. But yeah, above all it's gotta be fun - which it is for sure.
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode