Move to Illinois - 300 good choice? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 4 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By SECoda

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Move to Illinois - 300 good choice?

Currently east TN, near mountains, Dragon etc. Will likely keep place here and leave a bike or two. But be based in Chicago mostly (mrs has new job). She and I will have weekends to explore, and I will have more time to explore and tool around. But it's flat. I'm used to having to think about crossing mountains and flowing through lots of twisties. I am also used to using a bike for just about everything. So a city with public transportation will be a challenge. I am also not used to riding in and out of a major city, although N. Virginia wasn't a problem (used to commute there via bicycle).

So our bikes will likely be out in the country at a family place, which we will be able to access via public transportation to a car/truck of ours stashed in storage and thence to the country place.

Mrs claims there are miles of gravel and rough country roads and other cool stuff like that. My Versys 650 would no doubt do this stuff. Her F700GS will certainly do it, too.

However, I sat on a Honda 250 and the Versys 300 (which she has been promoting) a couple of days ago. Then I saw this video:
I am now considering whether I would enjoy a Versys 300 more than the 650. I could leave the 650 here, where the power comes in handy for running up and down mountains and the Interstate travel, and get a 300 to use on the flat lands.

I anticipate some Interstate work to get fun places, then a mix of country roads and secondary highways, with perhaps gravel thrown in. Any reason the 300 wouldn't work for this?

I'd keep my Guzzi up there eventually for cross country stuff (1400 California).

Comments very welcome. Thanks

Dr. Toaster: Guzzi 1400 California, VStrom 1000
Mrs. Toaster: 2009 Versys 650
Located 50 miles W of Deals Gap aka Dragon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 06:00 PM

I would imagine the 300 will feel underpowered but should do the job as long as you are not expecting too much power. X650 sounds much better in the future.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'm not expecting too much power. I'll try one sometime. Light weight is the driver, and better ability on gravel. I haven't really tried the 650 on much gravel. Proposed doing the alternative Cherohala Skyway to the Mrs when she gets back. That would be a good test (from TN, over the Cherohala, back over on parallel forest service road that heads up to near Beech Gap).

An advantage of two light bikes is that my current little truck or a modest car would easily tow both. Or maybe I could get light bikes in the bed.

Her F700GS is so cool that I want one, but that is true about so many many bikes!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 08:08 AM

Garage
toaster400 come on up to southwest Wisconsin if you are looking for some fun roads to ride on
the weekends.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 02:18 PM

Not Sure I follow what you wrote. I watched the vid. you embedded ( first time seeing it, supports my view of the versys 300).
So , Is the Versys 300 a great bike as noted in the aforementioned vid? YES! Do you really seek answers ? Okay, if you do:
1. Buy two 300's
2. Bring your 650 , because you have it
3. Bring your Guzzi as well- because why not?
4. Bring her F700GS - 'cause you have one of them.
4. Factor in weather limitations in your decision process (Chicago).
Actually, bring your 650 and buy a 300-

Last edited by shifted; 08-05-2017 at 02:21 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Garage
How about a rally raid CB500X?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Honda+...ew&FORM=HDRSC1
aemacleod likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:59 PM

Garage
Oh, and I can't even imagine moving to Chicago. That would be like going to hell after living in Tennessee!
turn8a, aemacleod, Fuzzy74 and 1 others like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Oh, and I can't even imagine moving to Chicago. That would be like going to hell after living in Tennessee!
We're not selling the Tennessee place, will rent it out. She's got a great job she's been trying for the last 5 years, and finally got in. Will give me a chance to really retire if I want. Lots of culture and a focus for the violin trade. Opportunity perhaps to teach. Lots of cool areas from Alberta through Montana, Wyoming, Ozarks, etc. possible with more time. Good transportation systems. Could work out!

And I could just keep this place for the winters. Riding is good here in the winter and it's very peaceful. It's the summers with all the tourists I'm not so fond of!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 09:56 AM

Just catching up on these posts. Born and raised near Chicago (Hinsdale/Oak Brook/Burr Ridge). I moved to the Ozarks after college and it has been absolutely outstanding. I can't go back to that mass of people and traffic and concrete and then there are the winters. We had two snowmobiles growing up but you have to haul them to Cheese-land. Scary on a motorcycle even in the burbs. There are ten million people in the metro area. A lot of them are angry. lol
twowheeladdict likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode