Seat concept seat for x300 update - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:32 PM

Glad that I could have been of assistance.

Like Bedtime said, 11" or so...but it is just slightly narrower than the stock. When I first sat on it, it felt like I was going to maybe roll off the edges....but after my first ride I did not notice that and it hasn't been and issue since. The foam in kinda neat in that you can feel it move up and down when you hit bumps.....must be the "active" thing they mention on the web site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 10:24 PM

So how do you install one of these "foam & cover" kits, do you have to rip apart your stock seat to get the pan?
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:14 PM

You just remove the staples and cover comes right off. The foam is glued at the edge only at the front, back, and the middle of each side.

Then just reverse the process to install new cover. Spray a little glue to attach the foam to the pan and then lay the cover over the foam and start at the front and attach that, go to the back and put a few staples, and then work on the sides starting at the front working your way to the rear.

I had an edge as I worked for many years customizing vans so a lot of the knowledge I had from that applied directly to this project.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:35 PM

Garage
Update on the Seat Concepts Version 2 , standard seat.

Multi days longest was 7 hours. Had six other riders test the seat.
They all said it was hard. Not as hard as the original brick seat.

Will think about how I want to soften it more. I have a vertical height
issue that makes it harder than just adding soft foam.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5,000 + miles, 90% hard surface riding.

Last edited by wheels2ride; 10-09-2018 at 06:38 PM.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:53 PM

Wheels2ride,
I contacted SeatConcepts and asked them if they offered any foam equivalent to the foam that BMW uses in itís motorcycle seats. I have test ridden a lot of BMWs and like the softness/firmness of their stock seat foam. Seat concept stated that they could match the density/support of the BMW foam. So Iíll be ordering the Tall SeatConcept foam and cover as soon as I purchase my 2019 Versys-X 300.
I think you may want to try that supportive formula of replacement foam on your seat redo.
PCG
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:16 PM

Garage
I have the new Seat Concepts tall seat kit and found the foam to be a bit hard as well. Not as hard as the stock foam, which is rock hard, but harder than I would prefer. So I ended up installing a 5/8" thick gel insert into the Seat Concepts foam and adding several layers of batting over the whole seat before recovering with the vinyl. So far I like the feel of this setup, but I haven't ridden longer than about three or four hours at any one time. The best thing about this seat is that it's flatter so you can move around more especially forward and backwards.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:25 AM

Garage
Final post on the Seat Concepts.

My do - overs. When ordering ask for a bit softer foam than their standard. Their standard shipment is just like the stock with slightly softer foam.

I have a height problem so adding more is the wrong solution.

I have taken the electric carving knife to the seat. I cut a slant from the back (rib) down to the lowest portion of the seat. This gives you about another 1 1/2 inch fore and aft.

Also tapered the sides to reduce the height and edge cutting into my thighs.

Ht 5'7" inseam about 29".
Jake Wheelie likes this.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5,000 + miles, 90% hard surface riding.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Today, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels2ride View Post
Final post on the Seat Concepts.

My do - overs. When ordering ask for a bit softer foam than their standard. Their standard shipment is just like the stock with slightly softer foam.

I have a height problem so adding more is the wrong solution.

I have taken the electric carving knife to the seat. I cut a slant from the back (rib) down to the lowest portion of the seat. This gives you about another 1 1/2 inch fore and aft.

Also tapered the sides to reduce the height and edge cutting into my thighs.

Ht 5'7" inseam about 29".
I have the same inseam as you but I haven't messed with the seat height in any way. I want to get another, more comfortable seat also.
My solution to the height problem was to get boots with a taller sole and use insole inserts that are made to boost height. This will do me good with a slightly taller seat that's more comfortable.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode