Panniers - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have some and will give it a try. Previously, I stuck it on the bags with the same poor result. When road dust and moisture combine it acts like sandpaper.

2017 Versys 300 ABS, the fastest one ... green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7,700+ miles, 90% hard surface riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels2ride View Post
I have some and will give it a try. Previously, I stuck it on the bags with the same poor result. When road dust and moisture combine it acts like sandpaper.
I have to say that I ride MY Vs in some... out-of-the-way places... and that 3M stuff has worked PDG for me.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have got the stock panniers. They are indeed quite pricey, but I got the bike fully optioned for a good price.

The stock panniers are quite small, especially because they are narrower in the middle. They are made of hard sturdy plastic and handle shocks well. However, they do vibrate quite a bit. I like the fact that I only need one key to operate the bike and access the panniers. I think that's the main advantage.

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:49 PM

A question n the SHADs...

Do what appear to be reflectors in the back double as handles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
I finally got my shad luggage installed. The mounting hardware was on backorder for awhile.

click here for more photos
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:01 PM

Looks great! ... checked out all your pics. I like the gray.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:43 PM

Yes, the Shads have handholds behind the rear reflectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6F9426EF-FE27-4C77-8071-49D632DE7977.jpg (31.4 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by whisperquiet; 02-12-2019 at 06:50 PM.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
For V300 , the bike looks big with the side case on.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:05 AM

Nice! Thanks @whisperquiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperquiet View Post
Yes, the Shads have handholds behind the rear reflectors.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 PM

And sorry for the Spanish Inquisition, but...

I've been trying to decided between the SHADs and the GIVI E22N. The SHAD brackets are less "look at me!" than the GIVI's when the panniers are off, but availability for the SHAD brackets is unknown right now. Has anyone had a pillion with either brand's panniers on?
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:56 PM

Well, I went for the GIVI stuff. I think it was 20-minute install, and they look great. And the racks when the E22s are off don't look too offensive, all things considered. I really did want to go factory, but I didn't want to have to unbolt them to remove them.
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Well, the Givi set up gives you more options as there are quite a few different sized Monokey saddle bags. I bought my Shad set up after seeing a picture of them mounted on chucksklrst and am happy with them.
post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMStingray View Post
Well, I went for the GIVI stuff. I think it was 20-minute install, and they look great. And the racks when the E22s are off don't look too offensive, all things considered. I really did want to go factory, but I didn't want to have to unbolt them to remove them.
Do you have any pictures ? - because I am also thinking about the Givi mounts as I have the Givi Trekker Dolomiti 30L cases on another bike and it would be nice to be able to swap them back and forth. The only question is - what would a set of 30L cases look like on this X-300 ???

Here are some pics of those 30L cases on a Moto Guzzi V9 - (also a small bike)

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:42 AM

I’ve had the stock panniers on since I bought mine as the adventure version. They are good quality, but not very wide. I can just get my 15” laptop bag in one. They are great for carrying stuff & I can put my dry backpack bag over the rear seat so it rests on the pannier tops, for anything that won’t fit in the panniers.

They can be removed complete with frames by using a 6mm Allen key to remove the 2 mounting bolts per side. The bolts fit back in the home to keep the rear rack attached.

I see some people have mounted top boxes as well as side cases. The stock rack mount bars are not designed to carry the weight of both when full. Just so people are aware. Likewise the weight limits for either are quite light. I have a small soft rack top bag fitted for when I drop the panniers off so I can do some gentle off roading.

Have fun 👍😀
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
Ive had the stock panniers on since I bought mine as the adventure version. They are good quality, but not very wide. I can just get my 15 laptop bag in one. They are great for carrying stuff & I can put my dry backpack bag over the rear seat so it rests on the pannier tops, for anything that wont fit in the panniers.

They can be removed complete with frames by using a 6mm Allen key to remove the 2 mounting bolts per side. The bolts fit back in the home to keep the rear rack attached.

I see some people have mounted top boxes as well as side cases. The stock rack mount bars are not designed to carry the weight of both when full. Just so people are aware. Likewise the weight limits for either are quite light. I have a small soft rack top bag fitted for when I drop the panniers off so I can do some gentle off roading.

Have fun 👍😀
I don't normally pack heavy, - but you make a very good point about weight.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:41 PM

Weight conscious and budget conscious - just mounted another (smaller) HD plastic toolbox on the rear carrier. Lightweight and cheap. Great for clothes or gym gear and you don't need a key to open and close (unless you put a lock on it). I think it's a decent match to the stock plastic side cases.

I must say those Givi and Shad cases look fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (21.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 20190314_122625_resized2.jpg (28.6 KB, 46 views)
kballowe likes this.

Last edited by Pekes17; 03-14-2019 at 04:11 PM.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:38 AM

I'll try to get some some today.

Do you have any pictures ? - because I am also thinking about the Givi mounts as I have the Givi Trekker Dolomiti 30L cases on another bike and it would be nice to be able to swap them back and forth. The only question is - what would a set of 30L cases look like on this X-300 ???

Last edited by MMStingray; 03-15-2019 at 09:38 AM.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:18 PM

Only a week later. Sorry about that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5228.jpg (70.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5231.jpg (87.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5230.jpg (107.4 KB, 60 views)
kballowe likes this.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 03-22-2019 at 01:54 PM.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels2ride View Post
I went with the soft Dry-SPEC bags. I use hard side cases on other bikes for trips and end up carrying tools and some overflow clothing stuff in them. I will stick with these BUT, my issue is they rub the paint off of the rear side panels. I use a small dry duffle for most of my clothes strapped to the passenger seat. I do not ride double.
I do also prefer the soft bag solution for various reasons.
First of all, I wanted to know how well the x300 handles soft over the seat bags, also maybe thinking of bringing a passenger too. Might get tight.

As option and maybe solution to the paint rub off, I thought maybe using soft bags, but mounted on some rigid frame (like the ones used for the cases)... Does that make any sense?!?

El que se apura en la patagonia, pierde el tiempo
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:28 PM

I have both soft and hard sided luggage for the VX-300. The brackets for the Shad cases sits too high to support soft bags. Prior to switching to the Shads, I made up my own support brackets that hang lower than the Shad brackets to keep the soft bags in place, and to keep the bags from going underneath the fender and rubbing the rear tire. The brackets also keep the bags from rubbing against the painted surface of the bikes side panels. The bags are throw over bags, but I ran them under the seat instead of over the seat.

Moto Guzzi Griso 1200, Kawasaki Versys X-300
Harley Super Glide Custom

Last edited by zebraranger; 07-31-2019 at 10:43 PM.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 02:40 PM

Garage
Panniers

I love my Tusk Panniers. I cannot see why people pay 2-3 times the price of these to get some "famous" brand name. I even hit a cement block on my new large size and had little damage to them. I have the large size on my Versys 300 and medium ones on my sons 300.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...p?albumid=2935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode