Panniers can not be used in conjunction with the topcase. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Versys-X 300 General Discussion Please post any 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 related topics that DO NOT fit into any of the other topics here.

5Likes
  • 2 Post By chucksklrst
  • 2 Post By chucksklrst
  • 1 Post By PJC1955

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Panniers can not be used in conjunction with the topcase.

Hi,
I`m considering buying the x-300, and while checking its accessories I saw that the Panniers can not be used in conjunction with the topcase. ( see: Panniers 2x17L Versys-X 300 )

anybody know if its a weight issue or maybe the original accessories wont fit together but its possible with aftermarket luggage systems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I CAN'T say, but a lot of 650 owners saw the same "warning" from Kawi, but were able to do it anyway, thru various means.

Try SEARCH on the main Forum.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As Eddie mentioned the older gen 650's had the same warning and it was due to weight on the rear structure of the bike. That may be MaKaw's legal-eze to avoid law suits.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

thank you for your responses
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
As Eddie mentioned the older gen 650's had the same warning and it was due to weight on the rear structure of the bike. That may be MaKaw's legal-eze to avoid law suits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogi View Post
thank you for your responses
Was it Shakespeare or Mark Twain who said: FIRST thing we do, KILL all the lawyers!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Per the Eagles song.........Get Over It, it was Shakespeare.

5. "Get Over It" The Eagles
Lawyer jokes go back a lot further than contemporary times. In this song about confession culture and victimization, Don Henley nods to Shakespeare with a nickname, then quotes from Dick The Butcher in Henry VI: "Old Billy was right / Let's kill all the lawyers tonight."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Considering how easy it is to loft the front end on the gen2 Versys I had, I can't imagine having all that extra weight back there. Also, if the subframe wasn't meant to hold rider, passenger, saddlebags, and top case, then things can break when overloaded.

I went with the V35 saddlebags on my Versys and strapped extra luggage to the passenger seat area so not having trunk and saddlebags was not an issue for me.

On the FZ-07 my only choice was GIVI luggage racks and since I already own the GIVI V35s and a GIVI trunk from the Concours I went with the full rack system. I don't plan on ever touring with everything mounted plus a passenger so no issues there. Even on the heavy Concours I put light fluffy stuff in the trunk and heavy items at the bottom of each saddlebag.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 05:32 PM

Garage
Here is my set up. Shad panniers and OEM top box. No issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2890.jpg (48.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2880.jpg (50.0 KB, 183 views)
onewizard and Skooter like this.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 11:17 PM

Primary reason I want plenty of storage isn't to haul heavy stuff at speed. It's to ride with it empty, then secure bulky (expensive) leather jacket and helmet at destination during a lunch or hike away from the bike. The better stuff like Givi, Kappa, and hopefully the Shad SH23's I've ordered are a bit more secure than my old topcase from JC Whitney that could be opened with any stubby key and a little jiggling.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
Here is my set up. Shad panniers and OEM top box. No issues.
When you say, "No Issues." what exactly do you mean?

How much weight have you carried in the bags and over what kind of terrain and how many miles?

What kind of speeds have you ridden with the luggage fully loaded?

I know on certain years of the KLR 650 the bolt connecting the sub-frame to the main frame was subject to break when the bike was loaded up and ridden as intended.

I know several riders cracked the sub-frame on various bikes travelling the Trans American Trail due to luggage weight on rough terrain.

Personally, I would want to know why Kawasaki chose saddlebags or trunk but not both. Handling issues? Weight issues? etc.?

When Kawasaki came out with the Vulcan Voyager 1700 they had a trunk rack mounted on a bike at the press launch. They decided against marketing a trunk rack on the production motorcycles. I heard that they decided the trunk lid couldn't handle the weight of the rack and what people might attach to it.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 06:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
When you say, "No Issues." what exactly do you mean?

How much weight have you carried in the bags and over what kind of terrain and how many miles? Pavement and a couple of dirt roads.

What kind of speeds have you ridden with the luggage fully loaded? Up to 75 on the freeway.

I know on certain years of the KLR 650 the bolt connecting the sub-frame to the main frame was subject to break when the bike was loaded up and ridden as intended. Have not loaded the panniers with heavy stuff. Will be used for carrying smaller items, for local day trips.

I know several riders cracked the sub-frame on various bikes travelling the Trans American Trail due to luggage weight on rough terrain. Will not be riding the TAT anytime soon. Nor will I be doing any gnarly mountain 4x4 trails/single track. As I am too old for that anymore.

Personally, I would want to know why Kawasaki chose saddlebags or trunk but not both. Handling issues? Weight issues? etc.? Many of the manufactures are concerned with the US market overloading the bikes load capacity and resulting law suits. Honda would not sell there ST1300 Top Box in the US for such an issue. We had to buy from overseas. I understand that by just looking at the US population. Also I will never ride two up on this little bike.

When Kawasaki came out with the Vulcan Voyager 1700 they had a trunk rack mounted on a bike at the press launch. They decided against marketing a trunk rack on the production motorcycles. I heard that they decided the trunk lid couldn't handle the weight of the rack and what people might attach to it. Exactly. See above statement. Thank you lawyers and the American tort system.
No issues with fitment and I have no issues with overloading.
twowheeladdict and SECoda like this.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)

Last edited by chucksklrst; 12-01-2017 at 06:54 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 01:23 AM

Garage
It was Shakespeare. But note : the characters proposing this wanted to establish a tyranny, and lawyers were an obstacle to their nefarious plan. They wanted the lawyers out of the way FIRST. Context is everything, boys and girls.....
onewizard likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC1955 View Post
It was Shakespeare. But note : the characters proposing this wanted to establish a tyranny, and lawyers were an obstacle to their nefarious plan. They wanted the lawyers out of the way FIRST. Context is everything, boys and girls.....
I am thinking the Eagles have the lawyers in the proper context for current times.

Back on topic.

I have a 30 liter Kappa top box installed that will be used in conjunction with a set of the Shad 23s/3P rack panniers when they come off of back order at my dealer. The trunk will be used for light stuff and the panniers for items like spare tubes/compressor/tire change irons. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode